Lowlight advice needed from experienced geeks pls!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooBaby

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm putting my client some lowlights in at the weekend and needed some guidance about the colour to go for. She has previously had lots of highlights of bleach and 12.0/1 and also lowlights of 6.73. She now has a re-growth of about 2+ inches of her base colour about a 4.0. She doesn't want any more highlights but wants lowlights to match her base colour. (the 6.73 looked nice with highlights added too but they now don't look good coz of her roots)

Would a 4.0 be ok to put on or a 4.07? or would you suggest something different? she does want them to match her base colour so i've explained it will look a lot darker.

many thanks in advance lovelies

Zoobaby
newbee geek
xx

so she want only lowlights? and to keep the lengths that have bleach and highlift? ur gonna need to do more than jus low lights to blend in that regrowth or it will jus look like badly applied foils at the parting and it will still have the illusion of hair needing its regrowth done! if it were me id be doing another consultation trying to get out what she want, i mean is she hoping for her natural colour to be predominant, or is she jus wanting sumthing similar but with a few mor flashes of dark throo it, is she still wanting to be lighter than natural base but not as light as she is now? and ps u cant put a base shade over lightened hair, so no dont jus put in 4/0. u need to either pre pig or use a very warm colour or it will look khaki!

thanks for that, so what colour would you suggest? she does want to be darker (like her base shade) and it's my mother-in-law who lives in London and coming up to visit so a consultation b4 is pretty difficult. I think she thinks now i'm trained I can work wonders lol xx

If she wants it darker, but still blondey...i would low light with 5/75 or 5/73 (just colours I like) and then do maybe every 3rd or 4th foil with a high lift. this way her roots will be blended better, but explain to her its still not going to be totally blended, the bast thing to do would be to do a full head tint if she is sure about going dark, but we all know the majority of blonde clients who want to be dark usually want to be blonde again sooner rather than later!!!!

xxx

ps i know u said she wants to be as dark as her base but a 4 will be v dark, i would take it to a 5 the first time, and see how she likes it. xx

Thanks Kimi that's really helpful, i did think of a full head tint, it's such a massive colour difference from where her re-growth ends, doesn't look good.and i looked at 5/73 originally so thats confirmed it to me will check for def what she wants! it's so hard when she says she doesn't want any highlights at all and trying to convince her that it would look better with a few is just about impossible!

it's like pulling teeth trying to get a straight answer about what she wants lol
appreciate the advice thanks xxxx

defo kimi thats exactly wat i wouldve done!!:D:Dma fav 4 lowlights is tha 5/75:D:D:D

I LOVE 5/75 and 5/73, my favourite dark browns on the chart. I have some colour mixes which suggest adding a bit of /65 mixtone to them, i think I might try that some time.

bascially, she will still have a regrowth on the blonde if she doesnt get any. so all youll do by adding just lowlites will be darken down the blonde, but her roots will still look horrendous! just get her told. you are the professional, you know better than her.

:D xxxxxx

would you suggest then highlift of 12/1 or a few blondor highlights scattered through, just thinking that maybe the bleach would lift it better? i dunno! massive learning curve! suggestions ! xxx

i would just go with your 12/1. i cant imagine it lifts that light on a base 4, so if you did blondor it would make it lighter, which she doesnt want.

i would rather do a highlift, a bleach and a lowlight, but thats not what she wants. wtick with your 12/1. x

ah thanks, IF by any chance she says she does want all over darker full head colour, would you still suggest 5.75 doing mid-lengths to ends then roots? just covering every angle!! thanks again x

for a full head tint, i would prob go for 5/73,some people could find 5/75 quite overpowering in a tint. you'll do great. just make sure you cover all bases with it :) xx

zoobaby u got it down luvie!!!:D yea me 2 kim i use bit ov a cheeky mixtone now n again i like we ur thinken wit the /65!!!!:D:D

Just to disagree , why not use 4/77 works great over bleach and you could put the odd bleach foil in to help blend in the roots maybe 2:1or 3:1

:D thanks loads for all your help!!! Am going to go for the full head of 5/73 i think, people are funny aren't they, after saying she didn't want any highlights she said yes, i'll go for a full head brown tint but can you put some highlights in it too?????!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhh! i convinced her (coz i don't have the time to both on saturday) that she should go for all over tint and see how she likes it, it will look so much better, she's got a mish mash of colours going on there and although it's strange to hear myself say it i do know about these things a little now and can advise her on what would look best!! (thanks mainly to you all on here! lol) am much happier doing that and think her hair will look so much healthier too, thanks again all :D xxxxx

zoo...how do you not have time to do both? just got thru the old highlights she has and foil some 12/1, just do a scattered tbar, only needs to be 4 or 5 foils each side, 10 thru the top, will only take you an extra 20 mins and if you dont, itll be a bugger to lift those base 5 bits back up to a 12...

finding this thread really useful, I have noly just got back into hairdressing after getting my NVQ level 2 back in 1991/2 and never doing anything with it, my husband lost his job last year and we needed to earn money fast so I got straight back on it again and its questions like this on this site that help me the most. I always go for a 5.3 on low lites and this thread has given me the courage to do otherwise.

If I were doing this client I would do loads of foils, alternating between the lo lite, an hi lift with a few bleach thru the front. Zoo is talking about tinting the whole head then going back over with hi lites. I am confused.

If my method of doing loads of foils is wrong can someone please tell me what I should be doing. Need lots of help. XXXXXX

doha...dont panic. we all have our own ways of combatting this.

i think what her mil is asking for is eventually to go back to being her natural base...so if you did a highlift, a bleach and a lowlite, she would prob be just as light as she was before. i would avoid using bleach 1. becasue shes not been getting bleach in it before now, and 2. cos there is no point in bleaching hair that ideally wants to be darker.

i would go cautiously with this, you never know with blondies cos half they time they want to be blonde again....so i would (if it were me) if the client was being a bit airy fairy about what they wanted, put loads of foils in, 3:1 ratio of dark to highlift.xxxx

ahhh sadly kimi thats so true:grr: darn blondies.....

yes emza....its a great idea til you rinse it off and they are like :eek: and i am like:twisted:

hahaha lol i like tha way ya think kim:twisted: rrraaaaahhhhh

Latest posts

Back