M.E/Fibromyalgia/CFS

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aphrodite26

Reaction score
It's been suggested in the "exhausted for no reason" thread that it would be good for those of us with these types of illnesses have somewhere to discuss.

I've been diagnosed with fibro for 4 years now.
Currently have more good days than bad. Take morphine/oramorph on bad pain days.
Mainly I pace myself and try to live around my illness :)
Xx

Sent from the catphone

Thank you for starting it :)

As everyone probably knows from all my moaning I've had ME for 15 years, it came on after the birth of my daughter as well as an early menapause. I was 25.
Have had to change my life big time!
Great to have a thread where we no it won't sound like moaning to others as we can't think of anything else but must drive others mad! Xx

It's difficult for people that don't understand it.
My mum had a right go at me today because I fell asleep and was supposed to be doing the daily visit to grandad. She forgets sometimes that although I don't look ill I am.
I don't often have woe is me days but today was one of them.
Feeling much better after my iced frappe tho (still want a ciggy grrr)

Sent from the catphone

I no trying to explain to people Is a nightmare!
My daughter has ADHD to add to the mix so when I had her I got ME and struggled until it was diagnosed four years later.
She was so full of beans bless her but I would spend days in bed just thinking what is going on!
I did try and fight it but it's no good! You have to change and live with it! Xx

Once I got my head round it and accepted that this is my life now it's been easier.
I was in denial for a while and kept pushing myself and would make myself worse.
I don't explain to people anymore. It's 2 draining! X

Sent from the catphone

I've not had any experience with ME apart from the most extreme cases. I've taught kids who are bed bound and even a 30 min lesson on the computer was a huge stretch.

What is day to day living like if you have a milder case? Can you work? Are you mostly stuck in the house or can you take yourself out for short periods? Are any of you employed? I know it's classed as a disability so employers have to make allowances but is it even possible to get employed?

Once I got my head round it and accepted that this is my life now it's been easier.
I was in denial for a while and kept pushing myself and would make myself worse.
I don't explain to people anymore. It's 2 draining! X

Sent from the catphone

Yep you have to listen to your body!
As I said in another thread I tell people to much I always explain myself when there is no need really plus I end up looking mad haha xx

I've found it difficult being employed. Even though I'm classed as disabled (fibro brought on by the damage to my spine in an accident) they don't understand that some days I'm great and others I literally can not get out of bed. Also it wasn't fair on colleagues to have to keep filling in for me so i did all my refreshers in beauty and now work for myself.
I'm coping working around it. I only work 3-4 days a week, never before 11am so I have time to take my medication, use my equipment that treats my spine etc.
I live my life. I will not let it control me. I do what I wanna do and know that I will have to pay for it the next day x

Sent from the catphone

I've not had any experience with ME apart from the most extreme cases. I've taught kids who are bed bound and even a 30 min lesson on the computer was a huge stretch.

What is day to day living like if you have a milder case? Can you work? Are you mostly stuck in the house or can you take yourself out for short periods? Are any of you employed? I know it's classed as a disability so employers have to make allowances but is it even possible to get employed?

It's some better days some bad days for me! On a bad day washing my hair is impossible on a good day I can go for a walk but whatever you do there is a price to pay.
If I go for a meal home by nine I don't drink and eat plain food I end up with a three day hangover!
So don't do it to often haha! But I do miss just being normal! Going to work ect.xx

I'd say I probably on the milder side at the moment. When I was employed full time I was working in HR systems and would have to travel to clients 3-4 days a week but the other days I was able to work from home, usually with my lap top in bed. They were pretty supportive about it but i landed up being signed off work for about 3 months from back pain.

I struggle with exercise massively, even an hours pilates will keep me in the bed the next day (which sucks because the it's the only thing that helps my back!). Sometimes even the weekly shop in tescos or cleaning the house can have that effect too. I'll usually try to spread the housework out across the week to avoid it becoming too huge.

Hiiiii guys!!

As you prob realised from my moaning, I have had ME for 3 years, 'officially diagnosed' last year.

What bought it on?
Well ... According to my consultant, ' living a high life in a short time' .
... I fell pregnant at 15, sadly the baby's heartbeat stopped at just 16 weeks, had to have a d&c to remove baby. 2 months later I was pregnant again (planned) my waters broke at 32 weeks, no contractions etc, tried to induce me at 34 weeks, 16 hours on a drip, my cervix wouldn't dilate, emergency c-section where I hemeragged(?) twice. When my little boy was a week old, he stopped breathing in his Moses basket, took him to the hospital where dr's put it down to forgetting to breathe as he was a little prem. My little boys dad cheated on me 15 times, got 6 other girls pregnant, when my little boy was 6 months old, I had a breakdown, tried to commit suicide (my little boy wasn't with me at the time, I had arranged my mum too look after him that night) I was diagnosed with post natal depression & split personality disorder, my little boy went too live with my mum for 6 months as I felt like he didn't love me and I was no good for him 😭

When my little boy was 6 months old I felt I was stable enough to care for him, in the time I noticed lots of things were 'different' about him, after a year, 36 admissions to the hospital and been told I am a 'young, over protective, depressed parent' my little boy was diagnosed with chronic lung disese, and sleep apnea. At 18 months old he was diagnosed as autistic & deaf in both ears and needed hearing aids, in this time his dad had cheated again, so I ended the relationship for ever, I knew I needed too.

I then found out that he had very nicely got £18.000 worth of loans & credit cards out in my name. I was devastated, 18, living alone in a 2 bed roomed private rent house with my disabled son, I needed to earn money and quick. So I become a lapdancer/pole dancer, I only started dancing 1 night a week, I soon realised what the money potential was in it, I soon started dancing 5 nights a week from 10pm - 4am, within 3.5 months I was completely out of debt, but the money was still available, I was addicted, I thought about the great life me and my son could lead, I continued lapdancing, we lead a good life, walking round in designer clothes, expensive make up, 3-4 holidays a year, I thought I had it all, I worked 5 nights a week til 4am, was up at 8am with my little boy.

This was all good until I found is physically impossible to get out of bed some days, some days I would be sleeping until 4/5pm, having tea the. spending time with my boy, going to work and by 11pm I was asleep in the corner!!
I thought this was because I was 'doing too much' so I cut down to just 3 nights a week, felt like a failure, felt like I wasn't worth anything, went through a mad 3 months of doing things I shouldn't be doing (taking drugs etc) again diagnosed as depressed, back on medication.
Stopped taking drugs as I was afraid I would become addicted and it wasn't what I wanted so knocked it all 'on the head' instantly by this time I was still is so much pain an exhausted before I knew it, I was working 1 night a week, but too exhausted to dance, been self employed, no dances = no money.
By this time I started having 'ladies problems' which was at first put down to contraception, then possibly damage from drugs, 3 implants later, 1.5 years of contraceptive injections, I was finally referred to colposcopy, which they found cervical cancerous cells, which I had to have lasered off.

Off course all my exhaustion and pain, was then put down to that, fed with more meds etc. I FINALLY got diagnosed after 2 years with ME/fibromyalgia last year after I crawled into the dr's sobbing, saying that I could possibly not take no more of been in contrast pain & missing out on my boys life etc!!

Okay.... I've just realised I've rambled on here and didn't cut a 'long story short' like I was planning on doing.

It's not all bad that has come out of having this horrible illness and my wreckless few years lol, I met an amazing guy who was a doorman at a local club near where I worked, who is now my fiancé, my soul mate, my best friend, my absolute everything.
We have just been through a year and half battle for full custody of his daughter from a previous relationship who was sadly abused by her mum, we now have full custody of her until 2025!!!! 😃

It has also gave me the MASSIVE kick up the ass I needed, to do things I wanted to do, to be what I wanted to be and made me realise that I taking my clothes off for money wasn't what I ever really wanted, it was just a means to an end.... That spiralled well out of control through addiction and not understanding my own thoughts and feelings!!

I do struggle with my ME a lot tbh, I don't want too 'accept the person I have become' because I feel I shouldn't have too at 22 years old!! I feel that if I accept it, i have then accepted a lifetime of this illness, pain, exhaustion, which I am not willing to do!! I do not want this illness and I am deffo not going to give it permission to stay!!

I constantly feel like a let down, failure, useless, to my family, feel like I'm no good for nothing some days, I would say ATM my bad days outweigh my good days 😫

I am on gabapentin and sertraline .. Which is fantastic pain relief, I sort of constantly feel 'floaty' lol, not in pain although I do often hit the horrible 'exhaustion wall' not in pain but physically too exhausted too move!!

Soooooo this is a little about me and how I discovered I had this illness ... That I had never actually heard of before I got diagnosed!!!

HUGS TOO YOU ALL XXX

Last edited:
I talk too much 😳

I was on gabapentin. I gained so much weight it made my depression worse.
Now I'm only on morphine and anti depressants and I actually feel better.

Regards to not wanting to accept it. I totally get that. I was medically retired from cabin crew at 29. I nearly lost my home through being on sick pay only. I pushed everyone away. I didn't want to accept that this was my life.
However. Since I've accepted it I feel so much better. I do what I can when I can. The old me is slowly coming back.
You need to get your head around it hun and accept it. You will in time and you will feel better xx

Sent from the catphone

I talk too much 😳

I'm so sorry you have been through so much, I do think what dose not kill you makes you stronger!
Hopefully we can help each other on here when we need it xx

Hiiiii guys!!

As you prob realised from my moaning, I have had ME for 3 years, 'officially diagnosed' last year.

What bought it on?
Well ... According to my consultant, ' living a high life in a short time' .
... I fell pregnant at 15, sadly the baby's heartbeat stopped at just 16 weeks, had to have a d&c to remove baby. 2 months later I was pregnant again (planned) my waters broke at 32 weeks, no contractions etc, tried to induce me at 34 weeks, 16 hours on a drip, my cervix wouldn't dilate, emergency c-section where I hemeragged(?) twice. When my little boy was a week old, he stopped breathing in his Moses basket, took him to the hospital where dr's put it down to forgetting to breathe as he was a little prem. My little boys dad cheated on me 15 times, got 6 other girls pregnant, when my little boy was 6 months old, I had a breakdown, tried to commit suicide (my little boy wasn't with me at the time, I had arranged my mum too look after him that night) I was diagnosed with post natal depression & split personality disorder, my little boy went too live with my mum for 6 months as I felt like he didn't love me and I was no good for him 😭

When my little boy was 6 months old I felt I was stable enough to care for him, in the time I noticed lots of things were 'different' about him, after a year, 36 admissions to the hospital and been told I am a 'young, over protective, depressed parent' my little boy was diagnosed with chronic lung disese, and sleep apnea. At 18 months old he was diagnosed as autistic & deaf in both ears and needed hearing aids, in this time his dad had cheated again, so I ended the relationship for ever, I knew I needed too.

I then found out that he had very nicely got £18.0000 worth of loans & credit cards out in my name. I was devastated, 18, living alone in a 2 bed roomed private rent house with my disabled son, I needed to earn money and quick. So I become a lapdancer/pole dancer, I only started dancing 1 night a week, I soon realised what the money potential was in it, I soon started dancing 5 nights a week from 10pm - 4am, within 3.5 months I was completely out of debt, but the money was still available, I was addicted, I thought about the great life me and my son could lead, I continued lapdancing, we lead a good life, walking round in designer clothes, expensive make up, 3-4 holidays a year, I thought I had it all, I worked 5 nights a week til 4am, was up at 8am with my little boy.

This was all good until I found is physically impossible to get out of bed some days, some days I would be sleeping until 4/5pm, having tea the. spending time with my boy, going to work and by 11pm I was asleep in the corner!!
I thought this was because I was 'doing too much' so I cut down to just 3 nights a week, felt like a failure, felt like I wasn't worth anything, went through a mad 3 months of doing things I shouldn't be doing (taking drugs etc) again diagnosed as depressed, back on medication.
Stopped taking drugs as I was afraid I would become addicted and it wasn't what I wanted so knocked it all 'on the head' instantly by this time I was still is so much pain an exhausted before I knew it, I was working 1 night a week, but too exhausted to dance, been self employed, no dances = no money.
By this time I started having 'ladies problems' which was at first put down to contraception, then possibly damage from drugs, 3 implants later, 1.5 years of contraceptive injections, I was finally referred to colposcopy, which they found cervical cancerous cells, which I had to have lasered off.

Off course all my exhaustion and pain, was then put down to that, fed with more meds etc. I FINALLY got diagnosed after 2 years with ME/fibromyalgia last year after I crawled into the dr's sobbing, saying that I could possibly not take no more of been in contrast pain & missing out on my boys life etc!!

Okay.... I've just realised I've rambled on here and didn't cut a 'long story short' like I was planning on doing.

It's not all bad that has come out of having this horrible illness and my wreckless few years lol, I met an amazing guy who was a doorman at a local club near where I worked, who is now my fiancé, my soul mate, my best friend, my absolute everything.
We have just been through a year and half battle for full custody of his daughter from a previous relationship who was sadly abused by her mum, we now have full custody of her until 2025!!!! 😃

It has also gave me the MASSIVE kick up the ass I needed, to do things I wanted to do, to be what I wanted to be and made me realise that I taking my clothes off for money wasn't what I ever really wanted, it was just a means to an end.... That spiralled well out of control through addiction and not understanding my own thoughts and feelings!!

I do struggle with my ME a lot tbh, I don't want too 'accept the person I have become' because I feel I shouldn't have too at 22 years old!! I feel that if I accept it, i have then accepted a lifetime of this illness, pain, exhaustion, which I am not willing to do!! I do not want this illness and I am deffo not going to give it permission to stay!!

I constantly feel like a let down, failure, useless, to my family, feel like I'm no good for nothing some days, I would say ATM my bad days outweigh my good days 😫

I am on gabapentin and sertraline .. Which is fantastic pain relief, I sort of constantly feel 'floaty' lol, not in pain although I do often hit the horrible 'exhaustion wall' not in pain but physically too exhausted too move!!

Soooooo this is a little about me and how I discovered I had this illness ... That I had never actually heard of before I got diagnosed!!!

HUGS TOO YOU ALL XXX

You are really an inspiration kirsty you have been through a lot Xxx

I was on gabapentin. I gained so much weight it made my depression worse.
Now I'm only on morphine and anti depressants and I actually feel better.

Regards to not wanting to accept it. I totally get that. I was medically retired from cabin crew at 29. I nearly lost my home through being on sick pay only. I pushed everyone away. I didn't want to accept that this was my life.
However. Since I've accepted it I feel so much better. I do what I can when I can. The old me is slowly coming back.
You need to get your head around it hun and accept it. You will in time and you will feel better xx

Sent from the catphone

I've gained about 2.5 stone since been on gabapentin 😐 going back to slimming world tomorrow night too see if I can shift it, it's not really the extra weight that bothers me ..... It's the horrible constantly bloated stomach, which makes people congratulate me on the pregnancy that bothers me 😣

Wow cabin crew, when I was younger, that's what I wanted to be, did you enjoy it?

I know your right and I know that I need to ... But I miss the old me, not the lifestyle I led, but the amount of energy I had, the fact that I could stay up until midnight with my fiancé talking about nothing etc. does that make sense?! 😐 xx

I'm so sorry you have been through so much, I do think what dose not kill you makes you stronger!
Hopefully we can help each other on here when we need it xx

Hopefully, I don't talk to anybody about this illness, I don't see the point because I 'always look fine' apparently lol

So will be great to talk to people that understand xx

So lovely to find others that understand. I love you all. I am not good at pacing at all, but im getting better. Kristy that sucks. I didn't want to accept my condition at all (diagnosed at 14) no symptoms until 17. Im making peace with it now just a meer 16 years and many therapy sessions later. Don't feel like you have to accept it, don't listen to the people telling you that you should. Just deal with it right now, and get through it the best you can. Xxx

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

[QUOTE=Kirstyj1

You sure have been through a tough time. It's good too be able to talk about things without having to pretend everything's okay. Xxx

Hopefully, I don't talk to anybody about this illness, I don't see the point because I 'always look fine' apparently lol

So will be great to talk to people that understand xx

Everytime im ill or in hospital people love to tell me how well I look. I just want to tell them to piss if and sulk. Oh I never talk to my friends about this so it's great to chat to you guys. X

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back