MAC make-up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malibu

Reaction score
Im starting up my makeup kit and going with MAC makeup. As im after setting up a beauty salon from home iv just had loads more startup costs so I really cant afford loads of makeup costs aswell. I know realistically I should get foundations to suit 2 or 3 different skin types, but right now I really cant afford this.
I had decided to go with Studio fix fluid, I love it. Its suited to Normal, combination, Oily skins. I have dry skin and can get very dry on my nose/ forehead (and i mean very dry). When I went in to Mac the girl in there was really helpful and said that studio fx was the most popular for professional use and it was ok for most skin type and if I had someone with alot of dryness like me I could put prolongwear concealer in that area and use studiofix fluid everywhere else. So i said id try that on me and if it worked on me itd work on anyone.. it was great on me! So I was delighted and was set on stud. Fx fluid. BUT then i tried it on mum (a mature client with dry skin) and it just dried up everywhere... :| Has anyone any suggestions?! Im sure there is no foundation that is going to suit all skins. Im probably going to have to buy something for dryer skins aswell.. if so what would you suggest, face and body/studio sculpt/mineralise. I would prefer if there was a way around making one foundation work for all skins :green::cry: TIA

I hate the studio fx foundation I bought a few months ago.
Im combination with a really oily nose.
This foundation gives me dry peeling skin on my nose!
Waste of money for and it smells.

Sent from my SM-T310 using SalonGeek mobile app

I like the studio fix fluid personally but it's not great for dry skin so I opt for syrup sculpt for dry as it's a bit more dewy or what I would suggest is to oily moisturise the clients skin before hand and leave for five mins as this will clear up some of the dryness and foundation will sit better x

Hey love, I use Mac make up. And I was trained by a specific make up school using only Mac.
We got taught to use face and body. Studio fix fluid I only use for clients who need hectic coverage and who are oily.
Otherwise never for a mature client!

Face and body had no SPF so for photo's it won't flash white. You can also layer this product. I have kept mine for 3 years and havnt gone off or anything. Long as it's kept in a cool place.
Colours I would go for starting they have a N or C range.
I use or would suggest C1,3,7 and you can mix 1 with 3 to make 2 or 7 and make to match custom each client.
Then N 1,3,7 or 9. depends which. Is your most popular clientele.

I use C3 most out of all my colour finished first.

Face and body you can layer, meaning you can apply and wait and apply again. So first use base primer (black tube) the. Face body with sponge then wait the. Again use duo fibre brush and lightly go over again this gives more coverage. Contouring you would use the darker shades or that's when I use my studio fix darker and for contouring then again with powders.

Mature skin you cannot use a thick foundation as it lies in the creases and accentuates the lines making the client look worse.

Hope this helps.
I have a massive Mac kit and it took years to build and if you find a helpful Mac lady they very kind and usually give you loads of samples too!! Just ask:) xxx

Beauty at your finger tips!

First of all having your whole make up kit from one brand is never a good idea, particularly a company like MAC whose quality seems to be deteriorating rapidly... It is better practice to pick your favourites from every brand but that's your call.

If you wish to sheer out your foundation this can be easily done with an oil free moisturiser and will make it apply more forgivingly to older skin, you could also do it with a liquid highlighter if you want to add a more dewy glow to the skin but less is def more with mixing in highlighter .

Also it's important to remember to prep skin well before make up, if there are dry patchs you will need to exfoliate the skin and apply a rich moisturiser first before your base goes on or of course it will look dry :)

Just wanted to add that you could also mix in a moisturising primer into the foundation and apply to the skin if you don't want to use moisturiser :)

First of all having your whole make up kit from one brand is never a good idea, particularly a company like MAC whose quality seems to be deteriorating rapidly... It is better practice to pick your favourites from every brand but that's your call.

If you wish to sheer out your foundation this can be easily done with an oil free moisturiser and will make it apply more forgivingly to older skin, you could also do it with a liquid highlighter if you want to add a more dewy glow to the skin but less is def more with mixing in highlighter .

Also it's important to remember to prep skin well before make up, if there are dry patchs you will need to exfoliate the skin and apply a rich moisturiser first before your base goes on or of course it will look dry :)

What do you mean that Mac quality is deteriorating ? I havnt found that to be the case.
And your tip with hi lighter iS good I was going to say add some to studio fix but couldn't remember name they just launched a new product and primers which work really well.

I was quite happy with stufio fix fluid on a younger skin it was a great cover and lasts ages. I do agree though about it settling in wrinkles in a mature client. How would you sheer it out? Ont really understand what you mean sheering it with a highlighter.
In terms of dryness I know mac have a moisture infusion primer which may help for mature/dry skins with studio fix.

Studio sculpt is defo the winner for dry skin and fce and body a firm fave too x

What do you mean that Mac quality is deteriorating ? I havnt found that to be the case.
And your tip with hi lighter iS good I was going to say add some to studio fix but couldn't remember name they just launched a new product and primers which work really well.

It's a well known fact that once Estée Lauder takes over a company it will slowly dilute the products making them more consumer friendly and more profit rich. While MAC would have most certainly started as a pro brand it is now filling it's eyeshadows and blushers with more filler than ever ( meaning less pigment and colour pay off ). A lot of well known names in the industry and now tending to avoid this brand for that very reason. I have in the past replaced eyeshadows and noticed the difference my self. When they started halving the size of their pigments without dropping the price this was the catalyst needed for me to explore other brands for eyeshadow , I'm now a big fan of urban decay , visart , and make up for ever eyeshadows - far superior quality IMO.

To sheer out a foundation with moisturiser simply mix it into the foundation to achieve a sheer coverage , I have suggested oil free because studio fix is oil free and you must mix like with like ( remember oil and water do not mix ) , if the foundation were oil based ( more of a cream ) you could mix it with a oil based moisturiser ( usually thicker in consistency ).

Hey love, I use Mac make up. And I was trained by a specific make up school using only Mac.
We got taught to use face and body. Studio fix fluid I only use for clients who need hectic coverage and who are oily.
Otherwise never for a mature client!

Face and body had no SPF so for photo's it won't flash white. You can also layer this product. I have kept mine for 3 years and havnt gone off or anything. Long as it's kept in a cool place.
Colours I would go for starting they have a N or C range.
I use or would suggest C1,3,7 and you can mix 1 with 3 to make 2 or 7 and make to match custom each client.
Then N 1,3,7 or 9. depends which. Is your most popular clientele.

I use C3 most out of all my colour finished first.

Face and body you can layer, meaning you can apply and wait and apply again. So first use base primer (black tube) the. Face body with sponge then wait the. Again use duo fibre brush and lightly go over again this gives more coverage. Contouring you would use the darker shades or that's when I use my studio fix darker and for contouring then again with powders.

Mature skin you cannot use a thick foundation as it lies in the creases and accentuates the lines making the client look worse.

Hope this helps.
I have a massive Mac kit and it took years to build and if you find a helpful Mac lady they very kind and usually give you loads of samples too!! Just ask:) xxx

Hi I wonder if you can help me on some other MAC products as your are really familiar.

I normally use Prolongwear for weddings as it lasts so well but I didn’t realise that it has an SPF of 10. I use it myself and only notice the flashback when someone takes a pic with a phone with a very strong flash and otherwise I’ve never had an issue. Would you avoid prolongwear for weddings as the girl in the shop recommended it to me as I was looking for a wedding make-up with no flash back?

So many artists love Face and Body but I feel that it takes more time to apply as you have to layer it a couple of times. I love using it on the neck and legs as it makes the skin look flawless but I’m still struggling with F&B. I have started wearing it myself every day so that I get more used to it. So you apply it with a sponge and then buff with a duo fibre brush? How long do you wait for it to set? I’ve seen artists online do the foundation and then move onto the eyes so that the foundation works into the skin before they powder.

Another MAC question (sorry!), I bought Studio Sculpt for people with very dry skin but have only used it on regulars who I’d know experience bad dryness. I use prolongwear on everyone else as I only do wedding make-up and want it to last all day. When would you use Studio Sculpt? I find prolongwear works on everyone, would you agree?

Apologies for so many questions!

Its really annoying when people who want to train with makeup or set up a makeup business think everything has to be MAC... do your research girl! MAC isnt 'all that' my kit has tonnes of brands

Its really annoying when people who want to train with makeup or set up a makeup business think everything has to be MAC... do your research girl! MAC isnt 'all that' my kit has tonnes of brands

This annoys me as well. My best friend doesn't want to use me for her wedding as I don't use a big name! I have bits of everything in my kit chosen on what I've found over the years works well and stays put!

Sent from the catphone

I am a professional therapist and artist and your comment is not necessary and offensive.
Why would anyone on here care if it offend you that we use Mac? I sorry who died made you god?
No one

So keep your personal opinions to yourself if you can't offer any NICE or helpful advise. Go rant on Facebook!

I am a professional therapist and artist also. I think the point was that a lot of people think that to be successful you HAVE to be using a major brand only.
I don't stick to a brand although I do use some mac items.

Sent from the catphone

I think it depends on what your want in your starter kit. which direction are you going into. Bridal. airbrush. Vegan, fantasy etc. Mac can be overrated in my opinion. there are tons of amazing quality brands that i use with my discount cards hehe!

Personally Mac is great for more olive type skin tones and good lipsticks and multi use products like fix+.
Bobby brown is good for contouring and mainly darker skin tone. I like to use some peta approved brands, knowing no nasty surprises like occ and sugarpill. I have mehron, kroylan, ben nye products. These palettes are highly pigmented and a little goes a very long way. They are reasonably priced, come in variety of shades, blush, lip, foundation, eye etc they also last a while too.

There are tons out there and most are leading in their fields and if you stick to Mac, then i suggest to invest in a pro card and use will get % off your items. its all about building your make up case, and in my eyes i turn into gollum...i want precious noaw! happy shopping! xoxo

I am a professional therapist and artist and your comment is not necessary and offensive.
Why would anyone on here care if it offend you that we use Mac? I sorry who died made you god?
No one

So keep your personal opinions to yourself if you can't offer any NICE or helpful advise. Go rant on Facebook!

Gosh, this is a bit strong ... I didn't have much of a reaction to Glam's post ... do you really feel it deserves your response.

Peace and respect

Just putting a tab on this topic to read later as I will be doing a make up course next :)

Can I ask as a consumer - I've always used studio fix but feel it's a bit Cakey.

Could someone give me some advice on what I can use otherwise? I do like mac but am open to a change x

Can I ask as a consumer - I've always used studio fix but feel it's a bit Cakey.

Could someone give me some advice on what I can use otherwise? I do like mac but am open to a change x

Hi
I've been using smashbox as I needed something with more coverage than MAC face and body but not as thick as studio fix I can't remember which one of smashbox it was but I've been really impressed :)

Latest posts

Back