Madness

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tintalicious

Reaction score
i work in a rural town with a steady client base, my employer would now like me to go self employed in there salon and offered me a chair at £95 aDAY. I would be supplying my own products to is this maddness, i have no idea as i have always been employed. I have had this dropped in my lap and have to make a quick decision with what looks like no time to research this. Help...many thanks

£95 a day is an awful lot of money to pay once you have supplied your own products & paid your rent I doubt you would be left with much profit

I am so confused, they want me to sign a contract this week coming and it will all change at the beginnig of the month, how can i get all this information quickly and best way to find out what other salons in the area charge without phoning every single one. we dont use much in the way of produts because they run it more for doing wet and dry cuts but i doubt i will run it the same way as i enjoy doing much more, cheers

That is way too much! unless you are a premium salon charging premium prices. The way to see if it works is to go through your appointment book adding up what you took per day 1st, then add up 7 days and divde by 7 to get each week average daily take. I would also do this over the month.

You then need to add what you want to earn a day see what this figure is as I am guessing you will see straight away that the numbers don't work! Don't forget the cost of products! which I would work out if the number came up looking good!

I would suggest that you do a share of what you take instead, the % would depend on who provided products. I personally would not go any higher than 25% if I was supplying products.

I hope you sort out a deal, if you have the clients you can do really well renting a chair! :)

I charge £200 per week for a chair. This is in a really affluent area in a big salon.
Your boss cannot just decide that employees are all gonna become chair renters. There are rules that cover employees who have been employed for over one year. Remember you will then get no holiday pay/sick pay/maternity rights. Plus your chair will need to be paid if you are off.
Give ACAS a call tomorrow before you sign anything.

many thanks for your information it is all very helpfull, will def phone them, do i just google for there number. there are so many things i have not thought of because of short notice along with shear panic.

Depends how much you take in a week.
A salon a couple of villages from me charges £95 a day for chair rental. A t-section there will cost you about that so the potential there is great. If you are taking more than £250 a day then it may be worth your while. It really depends on how much you want to earn and how much you are currently taking each day.

That seems like an awful lot of money to be paying! Even some of the expensive salons down here I have heard of charging £60 a day but that is the most expensive I've seen. Especially if you are providing your own products...
I would take persianistas advice and look into your rights before you sign the contract, it seems you aren't getting a very good deal! X

Thank you so much for your comments. Does it normally work that you pay rent and then a percent and supply your own products or is it one flat rent if you have to supply products if that makes sense lol

I charge £40 a day- that is normal for my area. IMO I wouldn't go into a percentage or them supplying your stock, if I am self employed I want to be in control of all aspects of my business. You would Also need to talk to them about their expectations of you as a self employed person in their salon- there are big differences so please do not allow them to treat you as their staff and pay them for that privilege!!!

it is alot of money but u are being given a clientelle! x

HI, DONT SIGN ANYTHING!. that really sounds like a lot of money and why the rush. To be honest i suspect they may be trying to take advantage of your good nature. Fair enough if its a thriving city center location but as already been mentioned its still a lot. Just say no. Are you happy with your current arangment as an employee,is your contract almost up? If your happy as you are then dont feel obliged to any sign any contract.x

hay there thank you for your replys, makes me feel better haven so input. am going to have a meeting today so look out for the million questions lol x

Latest posts

Back