Making LARGE nails look attractive?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitzybob

Reaction score
hey guys
i will apologise in advance for the long post

i have a problem
a client of mine was a man, she has mans hands the size of them is the problem
she comes to me faithfully every 2 weeks.
my problem is that i struggle to do her nails:grr: not only is it extremely time consuming, it is also very hard to find tips big enough.
i have tried sculpting them but they look awful.
i am now at the point where i am questioning my ability, i feel like giving it all up because i cannot do this one clients nails

What shape are you doing the free edge ? maybe that is part of the ovaral look , something nice and tapered would be more flattering.

Yes I understand what you are saying but she is a motor mechanic and needs short squarish nails for her job it's very frustrating as she is also a friend and used to go to a NSs salon and they did them ok I feel like asking her to go back to them cause every time I do her nails I get really disheartened after.
And start to question myself I do mine fine and other clients too but hers are a pain to me but I also don't want to do bad jobs I'm so confused

thanks for the help

Are you sure that a more rounded edge wouldn't look better on her? They can still be short, just more rounded than square. I would stick to sculpting them though. How does she feel about the work you are doing on them. Maybe you are just being overcritical of your work. We are our own worst critics!

Square-ish squoval nails can still be tapered in at the side walls to for a more elongated flattering look , but short almond/oval would be what id aim to words, :)

I think you might be being over critical of your own work. Large,short nail beds never look as good as long,narrow ones. We know what we are trying to achieve and when we fall short we blame ourselves. Do the best you can do, I take it she is pleased enough, otherwise she wouldn't keep coming to you. :D

Thank you all for all your kind words
I am sure she is ok with them but who wouldn't be when they aren't paying, I don't charge her when I am not happy with them.
And to be brutally honest I think she only comes back to me out of loyality I will try the more rounded almond shape next time and see how that works out.
Thank you to all who have replied

I am sure she is ok with them but who wouldn't be when they aren't paying, I don't charge her when I am not happy with them.
And to be brutally honest I think she only comes back to me out of loyality I will try the more rounded almond shape next time and see how that works out.

Excuse me :D .... but I think you are just plain nuts!! FREE nails because of something that you cannot alter -- the shape and size of the nails??

Be realistic .. if doing this persons nails is going to cost YOU money, cost YOU self esteem and confidence and possibly even cost YOU a friendship then send this person back to from whence they came!!! It's an absolutely ludicrous arrangement that is only benefiting the client.

WHAT?!!!!! What do you mean you don't charge? For goodness sake! If you feel that you cannot do these nails then stop doing them, you are making yourself unhappy and you will never achieve beautiful nails from what you are being presented, all you can do is make the best of them. How about taking a photo next time and post it here for us to see? We could then maybe put your mind at rest or give some other advice.

I'm off to have a lie down in a dark room now!! :D

You know that old saying "You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear"... it applies here.

There is absolutely nothing more you can do apart from trying to make the nails more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, they will never be the best nails you create, you and your client need to understand that and you need to stop beating yourself up about it, as well as ensuring you're charging for all appointments!

Thinking of that 'old saying' has reminded me of a thread from ages ago, have a read of it and I hope it perks you up a bit to believe in yourself and your abilities :hug:

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/17541-can-you-make-silk-purse-out-sows-ear.html

I do not think it has anything to do with your work, maybe the fact is she was once a man?

I most certainly would be charging for all appointments ;)

Just had a thought (as you do lol)... have you tried using coverage pink to make the nail bed look longer and then do a thin soft/natural white smile line? It would help change the 'appearance' of the nails.

hiya :)

I had a client similar to you. Her nail bed were huge and I couldnt find a tip to fit her anywhere. In the end I got some toe nail tips and we solved the size problem. The next one like you was what shape to have. We tried most shapes but we found in the end that it helps to just file to the shape of her natural zone 3. Also if she has to have them white them bright white can make them look very stumpy, i had to use a softer white in the end to make them look more realistic.

Tbh I never found a tip to fit her thumb properly and had to sculpt them but hey you can only work with what you get :D the softer white though was a defo win as soon as i re did my clients nails she loved her hands alot more.

hths x

Yes I understand what you are saying but she is a motor mechanic and needs short squarish nails for her job it's very frustrating as she is also a friend and used to go to a NSs salon and they did them ok I feel like asking her to go back to them cause every time I do her nails I get really disheartened after.
And start to question myself I do mine fine and other clients too but hers are a pain to me but I also don't want to do bad jobs I'm so confused

thanks for the help

Oh dear! I do understand in a way coz I have large wide nails :sad: and whenever I do someones nails who are long and slim I'm oh so jealous!! lol No seriously we have to work with what we have. Do they look better than when they walked in? (and before u did their nails?) If so, then your work is done. There are all sorts of tricks you can try, like if you file into a more rounded shape (as suggested) and if she has polish paint it on and leave just the slightest gap on the sides to make them look optically slimmer. Its a thought. I'd love to have lips like Julia Roberts but I don't - so in the meantime, Ill wear my lipliner and lipgloss cleverly applied and be happy with what I have! :) xx

Just had a thought (as you do lol)... have you tried using coverage pink to make the nail bed look longer and then do a thin soft/natural white smile line? It would help change the 'appearance' of the nails.

hi
yes i brought some cnd coverage especially for her and to be honest it just didn't look right on her, i even spent about and hour trying to get rid of the grease from under her finger nails......after eveyones comments on her her next appointment WILL be chargeable and i am not going to beat myself up over this.
she has got hands like spades and i dont think she realises that this is a big challenge for me :( but i will give it one last go and next time i will take a pic for you guys to rip apart lol
thanks to all

Oh dear! I do understand in a way coz I have large wide nails :sad: and whenever I do someones nails who are long and slim I'm oh so jealous!! lol No seriously we have to work with what we have. Do they look better than when they walked in? (and before u did their nails?) If so, then your work is done. There are all sorts of tricks you can try, like if you file into a more rounded shape (as suggested) and if she has polish paint it on and leave just the slightest gap on the sides to make them look optically slimmer. Its a thought. I'd love to have lips like Julia Roberts but I don't - so in the meantime, Ill wear my lipliner and lipgloss cleverly applied and be happy with what I have! :) xx

lol thank you you have made me feel a whole lot better
she wont have polish, has to have white tips i have tried to explain to her that the white is not flattering to her hands as she is a motor mechanic and well we all know how greasy their hands get.
i will have to have a real good chat with her about what i believe would look better on her.
thnx for all your help xx

Latest posts

Back