Making money starting off in january!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rox:)

Reaction score
hi

i lost my salon based job just b4 christmas because i was honest with my boss and said i fancied a change and wanted to go mobile and i basically got sacked for it and i didnt have a contract!:eek:

so ive been thrown in the deep end and just going for it now! any tips on starting off? was busy b4 crimbo and now im just waiting for the phone to ring!

where is the cheapest place for buying colours etc.?
where do i get public liability insurance?

You can get colours from Sally's hair & beauty if there is one near you,
you just take your certificates with you to get a membership card and trade prices, hth

That seems like an unfair reason for your boss to sack you, you could take her to a tribunal for unfair dismissal for abit of cash lol

For products and stuff I usually go to capital or sallys for bits and bobs.

You really only need public liability insuance if you have a salon, you would be better off with personal insurance and it will just cover you incase anything goes wrong, will set you back about £70, I usually get mine through proffessional beauty direct and they cover hairdressing.

Also make sure you make a price list and stick to your prices and dont let people take advantage but when your mobile you shouldn't over price yourself but make sure you dont make yourselfout of pocket.

I hope this helps you!

Er, I think that you will find that mentioning that you "fancy" setting up a "rival" business as a "change" to most bosses (and tribunerals) would come under a misconduct banner. Plus you can only persue an unfair dissmissal claim if you have been employed more than a year. There a lot of misconceptions about taking bosses to tribunal. Also bear in mind the effect it can have on a future career, lots of employers would be extremely wary of employing someone with a history of tribunal litigation, even on the occaisions when it is warrented.
So sort out your insurance, load up your car and advertise like mad!! good luck

applogies persianista is correct about the tribunal lol I wouldnt like a member of my staff saying that to me x

I personally think that every beauty therapist and hairdresses says that they would one day like to go on their own or to have their own salon. Running a business is hard work but it's rewarding at the same time. I bet that if your boss hadn't of sacked you, you would still be there wokring your socks off and just thinking about doing your own thing. I was in the same position in August and I qualified back in 2000 and have been working for someone else every since dreaming that one day I'll b e my own boss,,,,sometime's you just need a push,,,,I'd forget about the way you were sacked and get on with your own thing I personally don't think it's fair the way you were treated but at least it';s given you the push,,,,, I used Ellisons and just got basic stuff that I really needed and everytime I go I get more and with insurance I used ABT thinl it was around £65 and that's for mobile and for my home based salon. Good luck and just go for it give it everything
Kerry:)

Her boss must have felt extremely uncomfortable about her talking about going mobile to have sacked a stylist. I don't think bosses sack stylists for no reason generally. Bear in mind that the boss is also losing out on a stylist here. A good rule is; if you don't want to leave, don't say you want to!

Latest posts

Back