male therapists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time-to-relax

Reaction score
are there any male therapists on here if so let us know any posative/negative feedback you have had because of your sex and any funny stories

are there any male therapists on here if so let us know any posative/negative feedback you have had because of your sex and any funny stories

Id be interested to find out about male therapists i know there are quite a few male beauty therapists out there now.Im not sure how it would all work at college practising on eachother and the public.I can't imagine when my daughter starts college in september at 16 how happy she would be maybe having a young boy doing her bikini line or massaging her and vice versa :eek: .
Male therapists must be quite brave going into the industry.

Id be interested to find out about male therapists i know there are quite a few male beauty therapists out there now.Im not sure how it would all work at college practising on eachother and the public.I can't imagine when my daughter starts college in september at 16 how happy she would be maybe having a young boy doing her bikini line or massaging her and vice versa :eek: .
Male therapists must be quite brave going into the industry.

Funny you should say that Gillian, I had a nightmare when I did my initial training because none of the local FE colleges would accept me as a male student. Ironically, I'm now a member of the industry links panel at one of the same colleges that turned me down, and they've asked me to come in and teach a class on providing treatments for male clients!

I didn't have any trouble training as a massage or holistic therapist, but for some reason the beauty industry in deepest darkest Hampshire didn't seem ready for a fella at that time! This was a few years back, and I can see the need to safeguard the well-being of all students by vetting applicants, but it got frustrating to be turned down time after time solely on the basis of my gender (and I'm not being paranoid, the colleges were actually remarkably forthright in saying "we don't accept male students for beauty"... :rolleyes: ).

In the end I trained with a private college in Southampton and loved every second - and I wasn't spared any of the practical units, from waxing to make-up and eyelash perming, I had everything done, lol! In fact there was a queue to wax my chest if I remember rightly.... ouch. :eek: Public clients were given the option of whether they preferred not to be treated by a male therapist, but I was never without practice models and had no problems with fellow students either. I was lucky to have a fantastic and forward-thinking tutor (the wonderful Helen McGuinness), but I wonder if other chaps have had the same problems I did in finding a suitable course?

Andy x

I would think time is right to really promote beauty therapy as a career for men.There are so many salons and spas opening up for men and most cosmetic houses do skin ranges and treatments for men.
There needs to be more male lecturers though to promote and lead the way.
Fact is men like treatments as much as ladies but hate going into women orientated salons.

Couldn't have said it better myself Gillian!! Totally agree!! It wouldn't bother me having a male therapist as long as I was put at ease by him, could talk, professional manner etc....!!! There is a male Holistic therapist where I went to college & he's fab!!! :) Have to say our colleges still have a dated approach really to male students in Beauty, bless they always stand out like a sore thumb as there are soooo few, have to say never had a male student on a beauty course when I was on them, which again I think if it was promoted more the awkwardness would no longer be there re male therapists as it would just become the norm!! On the Holistic courses there were one or two!! Also men in general wouldn't think having treatments is a girlie thing to do, as that attitude now is really dated but so many men including my husband have this thought in mind & wouldn't think about having treatments done! Have to pester him to do mani/pedi's on him & waxing very rarely!! LOL!! :)

As my husbands a massage therapist i dont like the fact that some women(and even some men) have commented to me that they would feel uncomfortable with a man massaging them....god it really annoys me as i know i have to respect thier opinions but if they knew that Rich was a damn good therapist and takes his job very seriously they would be surprised that he is professional and takes his job seriously.

Whenever ive recommended Rich to people ive had some negative feedback that they would prefer a woman...grrrrrr!:irked:

I suppose after living and working in Paris as a therapist are there still ignorance and intolerance in the UK towards male therapiss still...?
I never found that in France.
Im all power to male therapists in this industry and it would not bother me in the slightest if a male therapist was performing a bikini wax or a massage on me...maybe i have no inhibitions,but at the end of the day it is a job.:rolleyes:

When it comes to massage, I prefer a male therapist. For other treatments I really don't care what their gender is.

Cant say a male therapist would put me off having treatments, in fact if he was dishy i would probably go more often, oops did i say that out loud lol

Cant say a male therapist would put me off having treatments, in fact if he was dishy i would probably go more often, oops did i say that out loud lol

I do believe you did just say that lou lmao

Nope wouldnt put me off, make a nice change from seeing the same female face and after all hes prob seen just about everything anyways lol

I used to have a male masseur who was once a wrestler! He was recommended and he worked from home. I was cautious about going into someone elses home, but he was the perfect gentleman and put me totally at ease as soon as I arrived. He did the most amazing Swedish, Chinese and Thai massage but emigrated a couple of years ago. I wouldnt have a problem with a male beauty therapist at all. The quality of the treatment is what matters.

I did massage, aromatherapy, and reflexology at my local college, then the following year started to do manicure and pedicure, waxing, facials, and cosmetic make-up, however i had to finish the course as i got a new job and didn't have the flexibility to get the two days off per week needed.

I had no problems on the course whatsoever. I didn't get as far as having clients in, but the previous year any initial resistance by clients melted away as soon as they had their treatment.

I wasn't spared any of the practical units, from waxing to make-up and eyelash perming, I had everything done, lol! In fact there was a queue to wax my chest if I remember rightly.... ouch. :eek:

lol Ive got a pic in my head of you completely hairless with lovely permed eyelashes and full makeup. xx

Latest posts

Back