Males into Hair & Beauty adressing Gender Sterotypes Advice please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lperry08

Reaction score
Hya

(sorry newbie here :lol:)

Hope you are all well, I was hoping to get a little advice from you?

I work in a school in West Yorkshire, we currently run Hairdressing courses (NVQ & Young Apprenticeship for 14-16 yr olds) and from September 09 we will be running the new 14-19 Diploma in Hair & Beauty.

I really would like to see more males on this course and wondered if you would be able to offer advice on how I can encourage young men into this fantastic business.

At the moment, I am thinking that a "Males into Hair & Beauty" event would do the trick, as I have run one similar for females into construction, ("Chicks with bricks" - hey i thought it was catchy :confused:), however I am not sure on who I should approach to act as ambassadors>? I have heard of a rugby player that is a well regarded Nail technician and I think someone like this would be such a great inspiration and ambassador for our would-be male beauty industry employees, any suggestions on what I could put on for this event or ambassadors who I could approach?

Thank you so much in advance for your anticipated suggestions (polite ones of course)

Louise :wink2:

Last edited:
It's a difficult one as most of the males I have known in the beauty industry tend to be a little on the camp side! The great thing now, unlike when I started training in the early 90's, is that there are more men who are into grooming, perhaps emphasising 'grooming' over 'beauty' might help?

Samuel Sweet the owner of this site and official distributor for CND is in no way camp, he has a stunning wife,
he used to be a hairdresser and has now climbed every rung of the ladder,
he is at the very top,
you can contact him at the CND head office in Leeds 0845 210 6060,
and he is in West Yorkshire, he may help you out if he has the time,
if he does not have the time i am sure he would be able to help out with some suggestions for you, hth :hug:

Surely Andy (Axiom) would be a good person to speak to? He's one of the top trainers in the country for male waxing. There's also a fair few other male geeks on here; Fozzyo (in Wolverhampton) and SKnight (who's in somewhere like Lincolnshire or Norfolk - can't remember exactly where)... and Nailzoo in Australia of course!

How about focusing on all of the famous male hairdressers......God knows there are enough of them.

It's off really as it's quite rare to see celebrity females stylists as it's always men.

What about asking someone like Nicky Clarke to be the ambassador?

Funnily enough I have just enrolled into college waiting to start in January. I am a 19 year old male in the UK and im a Bouncer at the moment and i also have produced GRIME music with some sucess (which is like a UK Version of Hiphop) so i really could not be more of an opposite stereotype.

I am straight aswell if that counts.

Latest posts

Back