Mary Queen of Shops - Hair Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzyo

Reaction score
Just a quick heads up for everyone, next week's (5th July) Mary Queen of Shops is at John Peers Hair Studio in Rochdale.

Do you think you'll get anything from the programme? What would really inspire you to improve your salon?

oh that should be interesting, have always thought would be benificial to know what an outsider would think of my salon and have toyed with the idea of doing mystery shoppers but not sure hot to go about it

OMG Mary Portas is like my idol !!!!!!!
She has do deal with some right idiots who call her in for help and then wont take her advise !!! Fools i would kill ( well not literally) but i would love to have her take on my business.
I have been hoping they would do a salon, i get ideas from her Queen of shops programmes all the time.
She just rocks...go mary go mary go mary!:D

OMG Mary Portas is like my idol !!!!!!!
She has do deal with some right idiots who call her in for help and then wont take her advise !!! Fools i would kill ( well not literally) but i would love to have her take on my business.
I have been hoping they would do a salon, i get ideas from her Queen of shops programmes all the time.
She just rocks...go mary go mary go mary!:D

I LOVE that program and will be not missing it next week. I have only got a home salon, but I'm sure I'll learn something from it.

I love watching Mary Portas in action. Many people have criticized her for being blunt, rude, insensitive and 'what could she possibly know about any of these businesses from bakeries to salons'. I actually don't find her any of the above and besides, why would businesses ask for her help only to then dispute everything she suggests.

Anyway I digress :o, I will watch this one with particular interest. Didn't realize it was a salon. Thanks for pointing this out.

Many on here would not be able to handle her (not all but most!) the wrapped in cotton wool club does not sit well with her, as some have not been told no all their lives, no pm button on her show to report to the mods like a scalded baby?

I love the program, but the idiots on it make me laugh! you are struggling and you have called her in! then they say, well I have been doing ok for 20 years...... Why call the program, take her skills and advice, she is not doing it all herself and has a massive support team to cover all industry, for what works and what does not.... its fab

I really like her.

Su x

I loved the charity shop one she did.

I love all of them and what I would say to you is that it is good that you are watching all of these programmes as it shows you are willing to learn and make changes, unlike most of the people that actually get on her show.

I loved the charity shop one she did.

I love all of them and what I would say to you is that it is good that you are watching all of these programmes as it shows you are willing to learn and make changes, unlike most of the people that actually get on her show.
I think that's what makes them such good viewing lol. I think the hairdressing one may be very interesting.

Am very much looking forward to the show, it a real fave for me, mine and the pussies - but c'mon; really - from what she knows about this industry - is what she says on telly any more that you should already been asking yourselves as a secret shopper in your own environments?

Put yourself in your customer's shoes at every stage in your process. "Is this how I would like to be best treated?"

What channel & time is this programme on today? x

I guess her usual 9pm BBC2 slot.

OMG, can't believe he just chopped all her LONG hair off!!!!!:eek:

I'd be gutted & in tears if that was me...

OMG mary is it!!! her ideas are inspirational and so now, and financially make sense to business and consumer too, ok some shop have their host of regular c & b but for most fashion high street stores this is it, well done mary --------fab.. and i am no hair dresser

Some really interesting ideas. In his situation, an inspired solution to their problems. Wouldnt suit every salon.
Some fantastic observations about customer service. I hope all my staff were watching!

OMG, can't believe he just chopped all her LONG hair off!!!!!:eek:

I'd be gutted & in tears if that was me...

I really thought Trevor sorbie would have stepped in and stopped the 'chop!'.....that said it was a great cut, but too much of a change in one go!!

I can't believe that a former Midlands Hairdresser of the Year wouldn't know about the importance of having a great retail range of products in his salon. The range he had in looked like it came from a cheap wholesaler...correct me if I am wrong Hair Geeks, but if it retailed at £5.99 for a huge bottle how can that be Professional quality hair care!

I love the business plan Mary came up with, and the TopShop idea for a hair salon. Doing Fashion hair at a set price sounded so much better than discounting your prices didn't it! (which is what it was really)......it is definitely all in the way you market yourself.
Would I be right in assuming though that the £25 price was just a cut and blow dry into these styles, and colour would be extra, so still a god proft to be made especially if you throw in some retail sales too.

I will be interested to hear what you Hair Geeks thought of it.

In answer to Izzidoll, large volume clients for small services (cut and blow) is a business model. There is profit there.

There are many business models which work for hair salons, funny enough this is not the most profitable. It depends on attracting and retaining a huge clientele which in that demographic, are very fickle.

The most profitable are low volume, high spend clients such as colour and technical work. Easier to retain too.

All business models do rely on the hairdressers being competant and great communicators tho, which he did struggle with (especially listening!).

Bloody hell I've just come on here and realised I've missed it.:( hopefully it'll be repeated.

Bloody hell I've just come on here and realised I've missed it.:( hopefully it'll be repeated.

Me too :sad:
Think I will see if they have it on iplayer.

it is repeated, but can't remember what day.

He took it on the chin though didn't he!

it is repeated, but can't remember what day.

He took it on the chin though didn't he!

Absolutely! He took everything she said on board, and didn't moan or complain.
It must have taken some guts for someone like him who has a name in the hair industry to go on a programme like that letting everyone know his financial problems.
Even though his salon manager had a bit of a wobbly, I could see why, she was taking it personally thinking her hairdressing skills were being criticised, even though they weren't it was all about getting a good photo.

I can't believe Mary didn't get rid of the plants outside the salon though :eek: !!!!

Latest posts

Back