Masks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceana

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just a thought...........how many of you wear masks when working???

Clare

I don't and wouldn't because personally I think they look a bit scary and clinical, and also I don't like things round my face, but I respect anyone who wants to wear one for whatever reason.
Geeg posted a fab tip the other day which was to put cuticle oil on before filing product down and I tried it yesterday buffing off a gel nail and it worked really well. From a dust POV, if you have the appropriate ventilation/extraction then I don't think you actually need a mask, but I may well be wrong.
Personally I associate masks either with something scary and medical (like all those pics of people wearing them during the SARS epidemic), or for hygeine (sp?!) reasons during surgery or when you're a dentist and right up in someone's face.
I worry that if a mask would make me uneasy, it could make clients uneasy too, but I'm sure there are just as many client who would think it a 'good' thing as it would seem 'clean'.
Just my opinion :D
Forgot to think on a bit - I guess some techs might wear them cos they don't like the smell of monomer? I which case I know some companies sell nose filters/nose plugs but I personally wouldn't wear one again cos I don't like things round my face/up my nose :) My nose stud is enough for me!!
Lol x

Have to agree with Bimbogeri, masks look like you're about to perform surgery!! I know it's better for your health but wouldn't feel comfortable wearing one.

hi well i have to confess .... I am a mask wearer !

Have to im afraid as i have a dust alergy and if i dont wear it through forgetfulness or thinking i'll be fine during filing then i find it difficult to breath the next few days, very unpleasant and difficult to sleep. Definately gonna try Geegs suggestion of solar oil next week !

I do have a Vapex D extractor in my desk and i also have a big extraction system in my salon next to my desk !

i never wanted to wear a mask but I am very pationate about what i do and there are far too many bad Nail Technicians out there for me to give it up because of this (my masks are nice pink ones by the way! lol) and, its only for a very small part of the service.

I do explain to my clients before hand so that i dont frighten any away ! lol

kx

i also wear a mask as i havent got a table extractor yet just a crappy plug in one which i dont like!...so i think its worth it! i dont think they are scary my clients usually laugh at me and think im paranoid but usually say "well love if it makes you feel better" and laugh again!

i get alot of colds and chesty coughs (not due to nails just always have done) so everly little helps! and if you want to be able to do nails long term its not worth getting some lung problem or intollerence to the dust particles! anyways whats wrong with a little surgery?! most of my clients would probably have some kind of nip/lift tuck if i could do it whalst doing a rebalance!

Kat xxx

i dont as they steam me glasses up lol

I always wear a dust mask too when doing any filing. I think they make a huge difference to me as I find the dust really irritates my throat and nose. It's the little pink ones from Designer Nails that I use and they aren't at all clinical looking.

I wore one on the Real Rebalancing course yesterday and I haven't got a stuffed up nose or a cough today despite there being a group of nail technicians in one room all filing away creating loads of dust! :)

Lynn x

Lynn@harvs said:
I It's the little pink ones from Designer Nails that I use and they aren't at all clinical looking.

i also wear a pink mask i got from dn.... i really need to order more...i just keep forgetting...lol
i hate the dust on my face too
i mainly use my mask when i efile before i apply my product and i use drill eze after so it grabs hold of the dust so it doesnt become airborne :)

none of the other girls in the salon wear one but if feels funny now when i forget!!

Jess
xox

I know I said I was against masks initially but I'd love to know how to get hold of those pink ones. I haven't seen them on the DN site but I've been trying out fibreglass this week and curiously, though monomer doesn't really bother me at all, resin and activator spray have been really hurting my nose and eyes!

I've got a gurt box full of them. PM me yr address and I'll send you a few.

Latest posts

Back