Maths and English level 1?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funtimefranko

Reaction score
Hello! Me again!

I've just been told i have to do maths and english assesments and i have to score a level 1... does anyone know what this means? Does a level one mean that you need to be really good? Can you be average?

Hopefully someone can shed some light!

Thanks

Some more background info might help?
Who has told you this? Is it your employer or a college tutor?

When I did my level 2 hairdressing, we all had to sit a couple of online tests and pass a basic English and Maths assessment regardless of our educational background.

I've no idea what 'level 1' equates to, sorry.

College tutor. Im looking at going on a course and she said to be accepted i need to get "level 1" in maths and english

College tutor. Im looking at going on a course and she said to be accepted i need to get "level 1" in maths and english

Try not to worry!
I think it's probably the standard assessments they use to ensure you have reached a basic level of literacy and numeracy, unless you're looking at higher level education.

Could you ask her for some sample test papers to look through?

Is it functional skills?

If so level 1 is the equivalent to around an E in GCSE.

The tests are really easy they're like a child's quiz.

Don't stress.

I googled level 1 functional skills tests and there's lots of useful advice online.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/e-assessment/e-testing/functional-skills/

If that's what is expected, I'd strongly recommend you do some practice runs. You don't need to get 100% correct but if you practice a few tests, it should improve your performance and your confidence when you take the tests at college.

It's a bksb in Wales and it's pretty easy, I scored lv1 on my 1'st year in college lv2 on my 2nd and lv3 on my 3rd lol clearly I got more thick as the courses progressed haha, if u go on bbc bite size website there's tons of stuff to help u brush up on your maths and English skills :)

Thanks everyone :) was just a bit concerned as my maths is utterly shocking lol. You've put me at ease though

Is it functional skills?

If so level 1 is the equivalent to around an E in GCSE.

The tests are really easy they're like a child's quiz.

Don't stress.
Not sure i think so. Im guessing level 1 is the lowest outof the 3

Am having this issue with my level 3 apprentice. I signed her up in Nov and she was due to start college in Jan, did all the paperwork etc. However the college then back tracked as her initial assessment needed to be level 1 as at level 3 they have to achieve level 2 in functional skills. Unfortunately she didn't score high enough but is retesting next week. I have given her a load of stuff to try and help her as if she doesn't do it I'm not sure where that leaves us with the apprenticeship.
If you can make sure you are good on your percentages (10, 20, 25, 50) plus measuring as you may get questions to work out ratios for ingredients or calculate distances , plus general multiplication and addition you should be ok. The bbc skills wise activities are good, sometimes you just need to go over it a bit to recap as you can get rusty if you haven't done it for a while. Also know the difference between mean, median and mode. I get them muddled up as its not stuff you do every day but if you can go over them so they are fresh in your mind you will be ok.

May I ask what GCSE grades your apprentice achieved for maths and English language - it has a bearing on how the college will view the learner?

They were pretty low too (below d) plus she is a mature student so it's quite a few years since she was at school - hence she was v rusty! It's too much of a jump to get an entry 3 to level 2 in that time hence why they insist on a L1 to be able to start the course and then upskill them during the apprenticeship. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her for next week.

The rules for mature learners seem to change every year!!!
Presumably she did not have to study E&M when she did her level 2 and now the rules have changed?
Generally in the past, students have been ok if they are showing they are 'working towards' their next level .

Some students can enrol onto GCSE classes in E&M (usually free) which would show they are studying at a higher level.
By the time results are out and any resits done your apprentice may well be completed!

May I ask what GCSE grades your apprentice achieved for maths and English language - it has a bearing on how the college will view the learner?

That's interesting because it didn't appear to make any difference at the college I went to.
Three of us were educated to degree level inc. O'levels in English & Maths (old gimmers) and we all had to sit the tests.
We passed ok and had a laugh afterwards but I felt very rusty with the Maths. (I didn't realise we were allowed to write down our workings on paper so everything was done in my head. :eek: )

I have just done my tests for college in numeracy and maths

I did them last year and got level 2 for both and I went to another college interview and got level 3 for both and this year I got level 1 for both
So quite a varied mix lol

I'm a mature student and have been put onto the level 2 course whilst the younger girls aged 16 roughly were put on level 1 if they only achieved level 1 in the tests

There was a girl there who was re sitting her tests as she was moving onto level 3 course but hasn't achieved a level 2 in her first tests, without them she wouldn't be allowed onto the level 3 course

The first question for numeracy was pick out the 20p coin but then moved onto questions about heating an oven with energy from recycled glass bottles and working out how much it would cost to heat the oven for 6 hours too cook a turkey

I do think some colleges are stricter than others though

Don't worry about it though, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

The rules for mature learners seem to change every year!!!
Presumably she did not have to study E&M when she did her level 2 and now the rules have changed?
Generally in the past, students have been ok if they are showing they are 'working towards' their next level .

Some students can enrol onto GCSE classes in E&M (usually free) which would show they are studying at a higher level.
By the time results are out and any resits done your apprentice may well be completed!
Yes what's frustrating is that she did 2 years as full time student on the vrq 2 & 3 but cos she was over 19 they said she's isn't need to do the functional skills classes. When I worked there the year before, all students did them regardless of age so not sure why they changed it. The older ones moaned about it at the time but in the long run it helped them upskill and gave them an up to date numeracy and literacy qualification. It's so annoying as if she had done them it would have benefited her so much. This is why FE drives me insane, the goal posts are constantly moving and it's more about the funding at the time then what is actually best for the learner!

Unfortunately it is where the government puts the funding that determines how the college run the study programmes

Aw well if level 1 is the lowest I got that the wrong way round lol I meant I started out brainy and end up thick lol

Aw well if level 1 is the lowest I got that the wrong way round lol I meant I started out brainy and end up thick lol
No Don't worry, level 3 is the highest of the levels but before L1 to L3 there is entry level with entry 1,2 & 3. Entry 3 is the highest of the entry levels and the one before level 1. Level 2 is equivalent to a GCSE c grade so if you got up to level 3 you did really well!

Nope entry level 1 is the lowest.

It goes:
Entry level 1
Entry level 2
Entry level 3
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3

Latest posts

Back