May sound silly but..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisylover01

Reaction score
Can you tell me your steps for a mani! Here are our salons steps. Can you give me advise as to what is being done wrong?

1)Sanitize
2)Cuticle remover on fingers wrapped in hot towels
3)File nail to desired shape
4)push back cuticles, nip where needed
5)Buff nail with cuticle oil
6)massage lotion on arms, hands, fingers
7)remove oils with pure acetone
8)base coat, polish, top coat

I ask because we have a problem with chipping. After reading some posts on here and talking with a Creative Representator, it sounds like there isnt enough prep work done. We figured PURE acetone was strong enough to get off any oils left on the nail.

It sounds like a nail dehyrator is a MUST (possibly Scrubfresh). Does PURE acetone NOT get ALL oil off of the nail?

Is it necessary to buff the nail with oil in the middle of a mani?

If not, do you always buff nail right before you paint, enough to remove shine? If so, what grit is desirable?

Do you have client ever wash their hands after the massage to make sure you get the oil off?

Do you ever perform a dry manicure? We always use hot towels. Can that be a problem? Maybe too much moisture added to the nail plate?

Again, sorry if this seems like a silly question but Id love to hear YOUR feedback!

Hi!

This is how we were trained:

1. Sanitise
2. Polish remover
3. File
4. Buffing Cream and buff
5. Soak whilst doing other hand
6. Cuticle Remover
7. Cuticle work
8. Soak
9. Hand treatment
10. Massage
11. Polish remover to remove oiliness
12. Base coat, polish, top coat

Et Voila!!!

Sandra has pretty much said it, but I would use scrubfresh instead of polish remover as some polish removers have added ingredients, which can leave some oil on the nails. xxx

there is nothing wrong with your mani but maybe your polish isnt as good as it could be, I use Creative enamels and they are brilliant.
remove polish
AHA cuticle cream -
file
soak
cuticle remover
push back/nip
remove cuticle remover with scrub fresh
massage
buff with oil
scrubfresh
stickey/basecoat
2 coats of enamel
super shiny
super speed spray/solar oil

I like the sounds of hot towels for a water less mani, but I dont have a towel cabby.

When you remove the oils with your acetone, you need to really give the nail plate a good scrub with the pad soaked in acetone (preferably scrubfresh) for about 5 secs,
just giving it a little wipe over is not enough to fully penetrate all the layers that the oils have soaked into hth :hug:

this is the way i was taught ...pretty much same as other girls but you can add exfoliation if your offering a luxury treatment.as for chipping only thing i can think of is the brand of polish used...CND do a fantastic range OPI is nice to or maybe try an acetone free remover.

1. Sanitise(with ant-bacterial sanitizing hand spray)& check for contra-indications & disorders
2. Remove polish
3. File
4. Buffing Cream and buff
5. Soak whilst doing other hand
6. Cuticle Remover
7. Cuticle work
8. Soak & Exfoliate (optional)
9. Hand\arm massage
10.Hand mask or hand treatment mask wrapped in warm towels or mitts for time required ,afterwards wipe off the remains with lint free pads
11. Polish remover to remove oily debris from nails
12. Base coat, polish, top coat

Last edited:
thank u everyone for your input! We are having issues with our SpaRitual polish. I wanted to see if there was anything else we could rule out as the problem.

appreciate your time!

I' have also had a problem with the Sparitual basecoats. Most of my friends use Orly Bonder, but I like Poshe anti-fungal base coat(just in case) and it works pretty well. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back