Megga Itchy Scalp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Hiya x

Can anyone recommend what i should use for my itchy scalp problem...it ain't nits:Scared: ...lol...even my kids never get nits.

I have just washed my hair and its still itching...i just got rob to have a look and he said my scalp looks very dry, i had psoriasis when i was a kid...havnt had it for years now...and used to have to use polytar shampoo...would that be worth a go...? I use whatever shampoo is on buy one get one free at Tesco. Have tried dandruff shampoos but they don't really help and i was told are bad for your hair. I wash my hair every other day.

what do you think ..?

many thanks xxxx

think polytar is your best bet!

Have you tried using T-Gel? It is available in most supermarkets.

NailStyle said:
Hiya x

Can anyone recommend what i should use for my itchy scalp problem...it ain't nits:Scared: ...lol...even my kids never get nits.

I have just washed my hair and its still itching...i just got rob to have a look and he said my scalp looks very dry, i had psoriasis when i was a kid...havnt had it for years now...and used to have to use polytar shampoo...would that be worth a go...? I use whatever shampoo is on bye one get one free at Tesco. Have tried dandruff shampoos but they don't really help and i was told are bad for your hair. I wash my hair every other day.

what do you think ..?

many thanks xxxx

hey itchy

yep ME TOO at the moment my australian body care tea tree shampoo and condtioner has run out i swear by this ....and i know youve tried it and didnt rate it.

Ive got another brand of tea tree shampoo and its PANTs.

Have u tried head n shoulders or vosene???

Ive tried t gel and didnt rate it ....may try it again though.

DOnt laugh.........ive even thought about trying this myself cause i know it drives you blooming NUTS....your own URINE is sposed to be the finest thing you can rinse your hair with:D :o ........

I heard vinagre is good too?

I cant wait till you find the answer cause it DRIVES ME INSANE TOO

Amb x

i have used tea tree shampoo...it was Australian body care...didnt work. xx

My hubby has excema and uses the Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo without any problems.

MINKUS said:
DOnt laugh.........ive even thought about trying this myself cause i know it drives you blooming NUTS....your own URINE is sposed to be the finest thing you can rinse your hair with:D :o ........

Amb x

:eek: :eek: :eek: you want me to use my wee wee

NailStyle said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: you want me to use my wee wee

you can use mine if ya want???????? should i check its % first though!!!

NailStyle said:
Hiya x

I have just washed my hair and its still itching...i just got rob to have a look and he said my scalp looks very dry, i had psoriasis when i was a kid...havnt had it for years now...and used to have to use polytar shampoo...would that be worth a go...? I use whatever shampoo is on buy one get one free at Tesco. Have tried dandruff shampoos but they don't really help and i was told are bad for your hair. I wash my hair every other day.

what do you think ..?

many thanks xxxx

I have the same problem and nothing worked went to docs and he gave me something called Betnovate Scalp Application. It works but you have to be careful with is as it contains cortisone. Funnily enough I don't get it in the summer - I'm sure its to do with central heating/dry air?

my hubby suffers terribly with eczema on his scalp, it almost forms a cap in places, along with a Betnovate scalp lotion he uses 2 shampoos, they are called Eucerin, ph5 shampoo. it helps a lot but obviously he suffers with more than just a dry scalp.
have a look at their site Angie, they've got a list of products available and also contact details for the UK.
http://www.eucerin.co.uk/contact.html

1999judy said:
I have the same problem and nothing worked went to docs and he gave me something called Betnovate Scalp Application. It works but you have to be careful with is as it contains cortisone. Funnily enough I don't get it in the summer - I'm sure its to do with central heating/dry air?

whats Cortisone then ?? whats that do..? xx

what about trying warmed olive oil, and massaging it in your hair, or even leaving it on overnight and double washing the next day?
its just a thought!!

1999judy said:
Funnily enough I don't get it in the summer - I'm sure its to do with central heating/dry air?
when we moved to Spain my hubby's eczema cleared up, it was amazing. when the winter/colder weather comes it worsens, we don't have central heating though. Our doctor told him, before we moved, that it would go one of two ways, either improve due to the dry climate or worsen because of the heat, making it itchier than normal, he was lucky because it improved.

Angie, the cortisone is steroidal, you have to monitor it's use because using steroids for lengthy periods of time can thin the skin.

isnt hydra cortisone what they treat excema with?

yes i dont get it as bad in the summer/sunshine

MINKUS said:

i think so, but isnt it a steroid and thins your skin?

MINKUS said:

yes i dont get it as bad in the summer/sunshine
yes, hydrocortisone is used to treat itchiness and inflammation with some skin conditions.

just found this on the net........

An itchy, dry scalp is usually a sign of dandruff. Dandruff is a harmless and common, yet irritating, condition in which dead skin is shed from the scalp, often, but not always, producing those unsightly white flakes. The usual cause of dandruff is seborrheic dermatitis, a type of skin rash.

What to do:
  • Brush your hair frequently to remove the flakes.
  • Massage your scalp to improve circulation.
  • Avoid using alkaline based shampoos.
  • Try a jojoba oil based shampoo and use it regularly.
  • Intersperse the jojoba shampoo with an over the counter dandruff shampoo once a week: look for zinc pyrithione, selenium sulfide or coal-tar formulas.
  • Try a final rinse of one cup warm water mixed with two to three tablespoons of white vinegar. This will also bring out the highlights in your hair and make it shiny.
  • Massage table salt into your dry scalp before shampooing with an acid-based shampoo.
  • Try an oil treatment in which you massage olive oil into your hair and scalp, cover your hair with plastic wrap and with two wet towels. Keep the towels on your head for twenty minutes, then remove oil with two washings.
  • Supplement your diet with foods rich in Vitamins C and B, which promote a healthy scalp, and healthy hair.
If none of these improve the condition of your scalp, then make an appointment with a dermatologist, who can prescribe a treatment that'll work for you.

I suffer with psoriasis and know how you are feeling.I find that a scalp conditioning treatment helps and also try not to wash your hair so often as this dries your scalp.

Ang,
You could try the Warm Oil scalp treatment suggested but use Solar Oil instead of Olive Oil.
Vosene is a good shampoo for sorting out any scalp itching - watch out if your hair is coloured becuase it can strip the colour.
I have read before that most folk who think they have dandruff actually have dry skin on their scalp from using too harsh shampoos with loads of colours/additives. What brand shampoo have you been using recently? Have you tried using a baby Shampoo?

HTH
KxXX

i think there is conflicting advice given from medical people. The pharmacist who advised me to get the Eucerin shampoo for my hubby said to wash one day with the stronger shampoo, then the following two days with the weaker shampoo, but to do it daily ??? however it isn't an off the shelf product that you'd find in the supermarket, as far as i'm aware. the 'regular' brands of shampoo can be quite strong and have a mega drying effect, trial and error I suppose, everyones skin behaves differently to the different products available.

Latest posts

Back