Megga Itchy Scalp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ValencianNails said:
i think there is conflicting advice given from medical people. The pharmacist who advised me to get the Eucerin shampoo for my hubby said to wash one day with the stronger shampoo, then the following two days with the weaker shampoo, but to do it daily ??? however it isn't an off the shelf product that you'd find in the supermarket, as far as i'm aware. the 'regular' brands of shampoo can be quite strong and have a mega drying effect, trial and error I suppose, everyones skin behaves differently to the different products available.

I've tried washing hair every day to washing it once a week but nothing helps. My mum says I should stop having it long and have a nice "pageboy style" like I had when I was a kid! She thinks it would help!!!!

WELL... thanks for reminding me ive just ordered a SHED load of australian body care shampoo and conditioner its the only thing that sorts my itching out.

I may try the vinager till it comes though!

Or some oil !

Amb xx

Hydrocortisone is used to treat dermatitis, and eczema.
It must be strong stuff as you are only told to use it for a week.

Have you tried a shampoo called Selsun? Smells awful but often has good results

vickie02 said:
Hydrocortisone is used to treat dermatitis, and eczema.
It must be strong stuff as you are only told to use it for a week.

Have you tried a shampoo called Selsun? Smells awful but often has good results

where do you get selsun from matey?

amb x

I had a really itchy scalp a couple of weeks ago after using a new shampoo (Fructis) once I had bought my old brand again the problem dissapeared. A Solar Oil heated treatment sounds devine. When washing off make sure you rub a shampoo into your hair before you get it wet though!! I made the big mistake of doing it the wrong way round a few years ago on my little sister, won't be doing that again:eek:

I get a really itchy scalp if I use shampoo off the supermarket shelves I think it must be perfume or something that is added and it drives me mad. I use t-gel shampoo and then polytar every two weeks.

Selsun is excellent...my ex hubby used to use it all the time.
You get it from the Pharmacist...I know Boots used to do it.

my 11 yr old has a fungal skin condition on her scalp only. She gets patches of this where it is really itchy usually I use a product called mycreme, but the last week she has been staying at her nanas' place and they went to the beach every day. So she has been getting salt water treatment then mum would make her wash her hair as soon as they got home, anyway it has made a HUGE difference to the condition of her scalp.

Short version: Try rinsing your head with salt (sea salt) water then washing with a gentle shampoo. Ya never know it might work.:)

Cheers

grafxgal said:
my 11 yr old has a fungal skin condition on her scalp only. She gets patches of this where it is really itchy usually I use a product called mycreme, but the last week she has been staying at her nanas' place and they went to the beach every day. So she has been getting salt water treatment then mum would make her wash her hair as soon as they got home, anyway it has made a HUGE difference to the condition of her scalp.

Short version: Try rinsing your head with salt (sea salt) water then washing with a gentle shampoo. Ya never know it might work.:)

Cheers

My friend has excema and it improved in the summer when she spent loads of time in the sea. Now she baths in salt water and it as helped so much.

Yes Boots do it.
But its behind the pharmacy counter not in the general aisles so you have to ask for it.

I don't no if it's available over there but i use a range from PPS called scalp solutions or tricology range only available from hairdressers here. They're the only products i've found that keep on working. Everything else i've tried only works for a while.

I have the exact same problem and my hairdresser reccomended a scrub which is a manicure and pedicure scrub called biosilk and its brilliant. i rub it against my scalp before shampooing it and thank god no more itchy or dandruff scalp. I use to be well embarrassed as i would wash my hair and still its all flaky but its ok now.

I also swear by SELSUN, it is the absolute nuts! me and my dad suffer with this and both find it is the only cure, I converted my friend who was using T gel with poor results, she couldnt believe how good it was either! You can get it from any chemist its behind the counter, its not cheap at around £5 per bottle but you can sometimes get a trial size for a couple of quid to start with. you use it regularly to start with and then every couple of weeks after that to keep it at bay, I havent used any for ages and my head is all itchy again now :irked: it normally travells down to my forehead and nose too so I am sure it is some sort of eczma (sp?)

Try it, it works!!

Apart from those of you who have a physical problem such as Psoriasis, fungal etc ... this problem of itchy scalp is normally a sign of overexposure (ie washing your hair every day which is not necessary) to SLS or Sodium Laureth Sulphate which is the foaming agent in all things foamy!!
This is VERY drying to both skin and scalp.
Those of you who shower with bath gels and shampoo every day ... beware ... it is terrible for your skin which is why after the shower we have to put moisturizer on our skin and conditioner on our scalp to counteract the drying effect of the SLS.
For years now I have only washed my hair once a week and I never use foaming shower gels. I never use conditioner on my hair either .. !! It is not necessary but it does become a habit this every day washing and then your hair responds by needing to be washed every day.
Try what I did. Wash every 2 days for a month, then every 3 days for a month and so on until you build up to once a week. It will take you about 6 months to do it but you will find your hair will look clean until the last day and be much more shiny and healthy without the need to put stuff in to make it that way.
Remember how thick and beautiful girls' hair was in the old days?? And how beautiful their skin?? They did not shower with gel or wash their hair every day!!

I've had this problem for ages and sometimes drives me MAD with the itching. I switched to Dead Sea Magik Mineral Shampoo (they do a whole range of body products too) which has stopped it - until I decided to get posh and buy some Aveda for coloured hair (one of my clients works for Estee Lauder and got it for me dirt cheap!) and now it's started again so I have switched back.

It takes a few washes to sort it, but it worked for me where nothing else did. It has dead sea mineral water and says it soothes irritated scalp / Revitalises damaged hair / alleviates dandruff / Normalises oil and moisture balance. I got mine from John Lewis - about 5 quid a bottle.

geeg said:
Sodium Laureth Sulphate which is the foaming agent in all things foamy!!
This is VERY drying to both skin and scalp.

Oh no just checked my dead sea magik bottle and it has this in it :irked: . The other thing as well that my hairdresser told me is make sure you really rinse your hair well as people often don't and leaves shampoo on the scalp.

problem is if i DONT wash my hair every other day it goes GREASY !! eeeek and i have dry hair so work that one out!

Cant walk around like a grebo !!!!

I would LOVE to only wash it once a week though because it irritates the hell out of me straightening it ....its natural REALLY curly.

Spose i'll have to give it a try !

Amb x

Sodium Laurael Sulphate - Manmade Chemical detergent
Sodium Laureth Sulphate - Derived from suponified Coconut.
For a shampoo to be effective at emulsifying the grease to cleanse your hair it does need to contain a detergent like one of the above. Sodium Laurael Sulphate is deemed a cheaper and harsher detergent so avoid products containing this if you have problems with dryness or irritation ~ look for those containing Sodium Laureth Sulphate or other natural emulsifiers.

HTH
KxXx

nemotail said:
Sodium Laurael Sulphate - Manmade Chemical detergent
Sodium Laureth Sulphate - Derived from suponified Coconut.

Now I know why I didn't get on at chemistry at school! Okies my shampoo has the Laureth stuff, feel better now :) !

I agree with Geeg, I only wash my hair once a week as shampoo's irritate my scalp, when I do wash my hair I use Matrix or fudge (for curly girls) and leave the conditioner in for about 15 mins, that usually does me

Its a horrible thing scratching like a flea bitten dog:( (not calling you a dog babe!) so hopefully some of these might cure you.

Latest posts

Back