Metal tools ... sterilising or sanitizing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what do u do with your metal tools between the clients??

• sterilising the tools

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • sanitising the tools

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters

hiba

Reaction score
we as students do a lot of health and safety procedures...how often do u think about it as a nail technician?? be honest....!!

metal tools do u sterilise it or just sanitise it between clients??
how many of u think that sanitising is enough?

I wash my metal tools after use with hot soapy water and then place in barbacide. I think this is sufficient and always try to be conscious of the health and safety of me and my clients.

Yep im with the barbacide ... & spray for the files

I don't sterilize or santize my metal tools. I disinfect them (which is WAY different that simple sanitizing.) in a hospital grade disinfectant, full immersion, for a minimum of ten minutes. That happens after I scrub them with soap and water (sanitizing).

There is a foot doctor in the US who is pushing for every state to require salons to sterilize metal implements in order to reduce the incidence of bacterial, viral, and fungal infections that seem to be popping up all over (mostly from NSS). But sterilization wouldn't be necessary if nail techs understood the differences between sanitizing, disinfecting, and sterilizing--and put those practices to proper use!

What has your nail school taught you about the difference between sterilization, disinfection, and sanitizing?

have to agree with the barbicide. been using it for years and never had any problems

For barbacide or any other disinfectant to be effective, the tools have to be washed with hot soapy water first before being disinfected.

A nurse client who was involved in hospital cleanliness investigations also told me that for sanitisation to be effective, hands also have to be washed first before sanitising solution is applied. This kind of makes a mockery of all the sanitising dispensers at the entrance to wards, although I suppose that is better than nothing.

I don't sterilize or santize my metal tools. I disinfect them (which is WAY different that simple sanitizing.) in a hospital grade disinfectant, full immersion, for a minimum of ten minutes. That happens after I scrub them with soap and water (sanitizing).

There is a foot doctor in the US who is pushing for every state to require salons to sterilize metal implements in order to reduce the incidence of bacterial, viral, and fungal infections that seem to be popping up all over (mostly from NSS). But sterilization wouldn't be necessary if nail techs understood the differences between sanitizing, disinfecting, and sterilizing--and put those practices to proper use!

What has your nail school taught you about the difference between sterilization, disinfection, and sanitizing?

ok sanitation will reduce the number of bacteria on a surface. this is the lowest form of decontamination and should be carried out before disinfection and sterilisation.washing hands and tools will remove most bacteria and control the spread of disease. by washing in soapy water can remove the dirt and oil.....

sterilisation is the total destruction of all living organisms on an object!!

This has been discussed quite a few times already. There are loads of threads to delve through. Do a search under 'sterilisation' and I am sure any doubts you have will be cleared up.

Here is one to start you off:

sterilisation
emily22

I've just recently finished my nail technician course and we were taught about sterilisation and sanitisation. Looking through the posts, it doesn't look like anybody actually sterilises? I've bought barbicide which i know can only be used with metal implements, and for my files etc i have antibacterial spray. Is that ok? But obviously if items came in to contact with blood etc then sanitisation would'nt kill anything off completely, so i'm looking at autoclave, glass bead or cidex OPA. Does anybody else do this and if so, which one is the best?

Many thanks in advance,
Claire

FingerNailFixer Wednesday Wondering: Do you know the difference between sanitize, disinfect, and sterilize?
Sanitation is the process of making something clean, using soap and water.
Disinfection is to render it free from pathogenic organisms, to kill the germs and bacteria or to render them harmless.
Sterilization kills all non-patho...genic and pathogenic spores, fungi, and viruses. this is done using high temps in an autoclave.

I've just recently finished my nail technician course and we were taught about sterilisation and sanitisation. Looking through the posts, it doesn't look like anybody actually sterilises? I've bought barbicide which i know can only be used with metal implements, and for my files etc i have antibacterial spray. Is that ok? But obviously if items came in to contact with blood etc then sanitisation would'nt kill anything off completely, so i'm looking at autoclave, glass bead or cidex OPA. Does anybody else do this and if so, which one is the best?

Many thanks in advance,
Claire

Yes i was taught the same, that sanitisation was enough after each client unless tools come into contact with blood. But we should also sterilise at end of each day, however i was told by an ex nail tech that sanitisation is ample?! Do many mobile techs own an autoclave or glass bead sterilser of their own?

That's what i'm wondering! I've googled them and they seem quite expensive, however i really want to do everything the right way and make sure all my equipment is clean and safe. Hopefully somebody will be able to help ;)

Sadly many nail techs do not know the true definitions of these 3 key areas of cleaning..
And as many train with providers that work to generic standards they are often told to do far more than required (eg. steralise everything...)

In most cases nail technicians should only need to disinfect to a hospital grade (as we do not perform invasive or surgical proceedures. I've added below a summary of what each means to you as a nail tech.

Sanitation - greatly reduces the number of pathorgens or bacteria on a surface
The first form of sanitation is a good ol clean with soap and water, this should be followed up with a good hand sanitiser, such as cool blue

Disinfection - kills all pathogens on a surface and is almost as effective as steralisation
This is the highest level a nail tech should (generally speaking) need in a salon (although local laws may override and require steralisation at certain items) A hospital grade hard surface disinfectant is required to disinfect all hard surfaces, abrasives and impliments between clients. (of course follow the manufacturers guidelines) For a disinfectant to be effective everything must be sanitised (cleaned) first. You can not disinfect yourself or your client as it kills living organisms

Steralisation - Completely destroys all liveing organisms on an object or surface, including fungal spores.
The easiest way to steralise is to use an auto clave, obviously this is only effective on metal impliments as it would destroy most near everything else. Steralisation is generally only required where bodily fluids or blood are present.

I would strongly recommend you invest in additional training materials or a reference book such as Doug Schoons Nail structure and product chemistry (edition 2)

Sadly many nail techs do not know the true definitions of these 3 key areas of cleaning..
And as many train with providers that work to generic standards they are often told to do far more than required (eg. steralise everything...)

In most cases nail technicians should only need to disinfect to a hospital grade (as we do not perform invasive or surgical proceedures. I've added below a summary of what each means to you as a nail tech.

Sanitation - greatly reduces the number of pathorgens or bacteria on a surface
The first form of sanitation is a good ol clean with soap and water, this should be followed up with a good hand sanitiser, such as cool blue

Disinfection - kills all pathogens on a surface and is almost as effective as steralisation
This is the highest level a nail tech should (generally speaking) need in a salon (although local laws may override and require steralisation at certain items) A hospital grade hard surface disinfectant is required to disinfect all hard surfaces, abrasives and impliments between clients. (of course follow the manufacturers guidelines) For a disinfectant to be effective everything must be sanitised (cleaned) first. You can not disinfect yourself or your client as it kills living organisms

Steralisation - Completely destroys all liveing organisms on an object or surface, including fungal spores.
The easiest way to steralise is to use an auto clave, obviously this is only effective on metal impliments as it would destroy most near everything else. Steralisation is generally only required where bodily fluids or blood are present.

I would strongly recommend you invest in additional training materials or a reference book such as Doug Schoons Nail structure and product chemistry (edition 2)

Thanks Envy,

I'm using barbicide and obviously washing the equipment before using barbicide. What good disinfectant could you recommend? With the nail files themselves all i can do is use anti-bac spray, is that right?

Claire

Hi Claire,

I personally use a hard surface disinfectant called Virkon, it does not require immersion,
it is used for cleaning surgical theatres - assuming the surface is clean (sanitised) then you simply 'wet' spray and allow to dry, once dry Virkon has performed it's disinfecting miracle -
I am unsure how available this may be overseas, and I can not promise that your local council laws would allow this.

I would recommend researching in your local area, talk to council etc and see what you are allowed. As a side note Virkon was found in NZ nail industry through veterinary surgerys as they used it to disinfect operating theatres

hth's

I clean all my metal implements under running water, then it goes into an ultrasonic cleaner with barbicide, rinse after and when it's dry it goes into sealable packages and into an autoclave. My clients love the fact that I open a fresh pack for each client. I only have to sanitize and disinfect but doing that little extra doesn't hurt.

I was taught that it isn't necessary for us to "sterilize" our tools because we aren't actually cutting into the skin. We should sanitize and disinfect our tools with Quats so that we "retard" the growth of pathogens.

.... but I still have my own set of tools that I only use on myself and my mother, hahaha.

I would definitely feel better if I could sterilize my tools (because I'm a bit germaphobic), but I have a feeling it would cost quite a lot more. My salon won't pay for that!

For all of you who are a 'bit worried' or unsure of exactly how infections can transfer or manifest I strongly urge you to invest in Doug Schoons book
"Nail structure and product chemistry, second edition"

It will be the best investment you make towards understanding sanitation and hygene in the salon

Latest posts

Back