Minimum age - Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really have very strong reservations about this. Personally, I question why we have to inculcate young girls into all this "beauty" stuff so young. But it is our profession and we think it is a good thing and they are surrounded by it. When I consulted my sister who is a pediatrician about this, she was horrified by the idea of doing this on a child under 12. Her advice was that children under 12 should not get enhancements or gel/power polishes. Her point was that these monomers and polymers have a high potential for allergic reactions (yes even Shellac) and that the more one uses it, the more likely an allergic reaction becomes. A child's immune system is not the same, not as developed, as an adult's and an allergic reaction is even more likely. And that allergy is for life. Also, she felt that although we know that exposure over the course of a few years is probably safe, with children starting that young, the potential for 30-40 years of exposure is real. Hopefully we're not talking about a 7 year old starting a life-long every-two-week gel polish habit but we just don't yet know the consequences of such long-term use. She really didn't like the idea of soaking in acetone for a child. Also, because children often have their fingers in their mouths, there was additional exposure through ingestion. Finally, she also felt that most children could not be depended on to do the aftercare reliably and that damage could result from that.

Moreover, she felt that like all professionals, we must make the decision and not just rely on parental permission. While a parent may know his/her child, we know the products. Not all parents are good parents - It takes more training to be a nail tech than to be a parent! In addition, there are significant liability issues at stake here and you need to be in compliance with what your insurer allows.

Her advice was that regular nail polish should be used on children under 12. Now, that doesn't represent the opinion of all pediatricians, nor does it answer the question of what to do as a tech when a parent thinks it's okay. But it is food for thought for professionals.

Last edited:
I shellac my daughter...she is now 7, but i also did it when she was 6.....not very often but to be honest in never lasted on her long enough to have to remove it....think she may have had a pick, the same as she does when i stick on the odd swarovski crystal :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

i agree with kids should be kids...

i dont have a daughter but i am one!!have you ever wanted to copy your mum?wear her clothes and shoes? have you ever played dress up and worn your mums make up? we all wanted to be the latest celeb/princess etc and i think getting your nails done just emulates this. this is of course my opinion!! now im not saying that if i had a daughter of say 5 years old that i would let her have shellac every week or anything....but for special occasions etc then yes i would...everything in life is about moderation and boundaries...

if a child thinks of this as a treat and not expects it whenever then this is a boundary and is moderated by the parents...so long as the parents are in charge of what a child should and shouldnt have then i dont see a problem...i see problems when a young child is dictating to parents of what she/he expects!
I thought you put this point across very well, and I agree

I really have very strong reservations about this. Personally, I question why we have to inculcate young girls into all this "beauty" stuff so young. But it is our profession and we think it is a good thing and they are surrounded by it. When I consulted my sister who is a pediatrician about this, she was horrified by the idea of doing this on a child under 12. Her advice was that children under 12 should not get enhancements or gel/power polishes. Her point was that these monomers and polymers have a high potential for allergic reactions (yes even Shellac) and that the more one uses it, the more likely an allergic reaction becomes. A child's immune system is not the same, not as developed, as an adult's and an allergic reaction is even more likely. And that allergy is for life. Also, she felt that although we know that exposure over the course of a few years is probably safe, with children starting that young, the potential for 30-40 years of exposure is real. Hopefully we're not talking about a 7 year old starting a life-long every-two-week gel polish habit but we just don't yet know the consequences of such long-term use. She really didn't like the idea of soaking in acetone for a child. Also, because children often have their fingers in their mouths, there was additional exposure through ingestion. Finally, she also felt that most children could not be depended on to do the aftercare reliably and that damage could result from that.

Moreover, she felt that like all professionals, we must make the decision and not just rely on parental permission. While a parent may know his/her child, we know the products. Not all parents are good parents - It takes more training to be a nail tech to be a parent! In addition, there are significant liability issues at stake here and you need to be in compliance with what your insurer allows.

Her advice was that regular nail polish should be used on children under 12. Now, that doesn't represent the opinion of all pediatricians, nor does it answer the question of what to do as a tech when a parent thinks it's okay. But it is food for thought for professionals.

I also think this is a VERY valied point and has opened my mind somewhat. As much as I liked Souz approuch this post has made me think I will stick with polish and glitter until she is old enough :)

I've shellacked my 4 yr old, with no issues. I will continue to do it on the odd occasionoccasion

Moreover, she felt that like all professionals, we must make the decision and not just rely on parental permission. While a parent may know his/her child, we know the products. Not all parents are good parents - It takes more training to be a nail tech than to be a parent! In addition, there are significant liability issues at stake here and you need to be in compliance with what your insurer allows.

An excellent informative response. I only ever used to let my daughter have shellac on special occasions and that was after she turned 14!

Latest posts

Back