Minimum age - Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_simon

Reaction score
Hi there

Could anyone tell me their thoughts/opinions of the minimum age requirement to have Shellac applied?

I'll be honest im curious to know should anyone ask me but I'm more asking because my daughter would like it doing (she's sees mine being done a lot) my concern is more the removal, I mean the Acetone, but then I would follow though with Solaroil so....
My daughter is 5! I know that's REALLY young and it's probably a stupid question so don't have a go, I'm just asking :)

I think 5 is too young for Shellac, I wouldn't apply until they reach 16 yrs for clients - insurance cover - maybe check yours. What about some waterbased nail polish for her to have on?

i think each parent is entitled to make their own mind up on what age their own child should have treatments and as therapists/techs it is up to our own judgement whether we perform these treatments (insurance allowing of course).

I personally have clients who like to bring their daughters occasionally (usually when they are going on holiday), the youngest i have had is 12. All parents have to sign not only the girls record cards but i have separate disclaimers for nails and tanning that they also have to read and sign.

I have said many times that i started having my nails done at 13 as i was a nail biter and mum had tried everything else to get me to stop. I also starting shaving my legs at 11 as i hit puberty early and with kids being as cruel as they can be, me turning up with hairy legs (im very dark haired) was not helping my confidence or letting me enjoy my childhood.

I think too many of us have our own opinions that we express a little too freely on occasion. We are each to our own after all.

I allow my own kids to have shellac as one offs in the school hols and make sure they follow all the aftercare, they are 11 and 13 but would only do on clients once 16 I think, check your insurance too

Actually that's not true I have done younger girls 11,12 as they were friends daughters who wanted them doing for hols. As Souz said permission signed by parents on consent forms. I would still double check with your insurer

It is hard when you have daughters that see you do your nails, mine always ask for gelish but I find china glaze with sparkles hits the spot when they fancy them doing ;)

I think it is down to the parent of course as it is your child xx

My daughter has rockstar toes and shellac toes but no fingers as she bites and picks so there is no point!

She is only 5, some may say that is wrong but it's only her toes and it lasts for ever, I just let it grow out as it's only on her toes so there is no damage done.

Most little girls have their nails painted etc so I don't see anything wrong with it but some do. It's down to personal choice :) x

Mine is 9 and I'm a bit anti her having it coz she picks at polish and sucks her thumb! But then part if me thinks that she might want to stop sucking her thumb if she has nice nails..... I think 5 is too young tho :)

I have lots of my clients little girls asking for shellac when I do their parents I always say its fine but it will still cost them £25.00 usually the parents say no at this point lol anyway that's a bit off topic. The children that do fuss an throw tantrums till the parents give in I usually paint their nails with normal polish an let the put there hand in the lamp for10 seconds to "let it dry" lol! Xxxx

My daughter is nearly 6 and I only let her have polish on when its the holidays.
I do think its making them grow up far to quickly and I know my husband would be far from happy also.
They wil have loads of time to have things when they are older. I dont mind what other people let their children have done each to there own :)

my youngest are 4 and five and they regularly have shellac rockstars- i dont see it as a big deal at all.... so, id say its really up to yourself :D

My daughter is 9 and I shellac her toes all the time, I'm yet to do her nails as she hates cuticle work being done. I paint her nails instead. She's had regular polish since she was about 2. I too let the shellac grow off her toes but where she won't let me do cuticle work it usually just starts to fall off thanks to get being in school shoes etc.

As a parent I think the decision is yours, if you'd asked about gelish etc then I may have said no because of it being a gel but shellac is hypoallergenic so I don't see any problem.

My little sis is 12 coming up 13, I'm just starting out, she gets her toes done in the holiday, usually Rockstar and sometimes gets a tan if I'm feeling generous, she's asked for her fingers to be done for Xmas I was huming and haring about it, and then I realised at her age, I shaved my legs got my eyebrows waxed and started smoking!! I'm sure a little shellac won't do her any harm!! Although she understands tanning and nails is for special occasions/not something she does often, I also encourage her against wearing makeup etc. I'm not too sure about 5 though, maybe some glitter polish would be better?? Then she would feel like a real little lady!! Like others have said though, your her parent! It's down to you! :) xxx

Thank you So much for all your replies, all with varied answers.

I was thinking 5 is too young but then I wondered what everyone else was doing and I'm a big believer in letting be kids! So I guess I'm making her grow up too fast!

She has regular polish on her nails and toenails and I have done Rockstars before (4 holiday) but nothing ever lasts more than 24hrs if that before it chips etc

As a parent I think the decision is yours, if you'd asked about gelish etc then I may have said no because of it being a gel but shellac is hypoallergenic so I don't see any problem.

Yeah I agree with you there, Shellac isn't like Gelish or any of the other gel polishes on the market, which I wouldn't use on my girls, as they are Gels in a bottle Shellac isn't!

Does anyone know if Shellac is toxic if eaten? An awful lot of 5 year olds would have their fingers in their mouths a lot (even toes in some cases) which could easily lead to it being ingested.

It's not something I'd do.

I remember Avon used to make a special peel-off nail varnish for little girls that was especially non toxic for this reason (They may still make it at Christmas)

Does anyone know if Shellac is toxic if eaten? An awful lot of 5 year olds would have their fingers in their mouths a lot (even toes in some cases) which could easily lead to it being ingested.

It's not something I'd do.

I remember Avon used to make a special peel-off nail varnish for little girls that was especially non toxic for this reason (They may still make it at Christmas)

Good point! I have no idea though, would have to give Sweet Squared a ring or maybe Geeg would know?

My 5 yr old has her fingers in her mouth a lot!

Good point! I have no idea though, would have to give Sweet Squared a ring or maybe Geeg would know?

My 5 yr old has her fingers in her mouth a lot!

Do you think she would keep them out of her hair/mouth/clothes between all the layers? Some of my ladies have trouble doing that anyway xx

Edit to add: I'm no good at links but if you google CND Shellac MSDS (Material Safety Date Sheets) and click on the first thing that comes up, you'll see it is classed as a Hazardous Substance and Dangerous Goods and have a read about ingestion and inhalation etc

Do you think she would keep them out of her hair/mouth/clothes between all the layers? Some of my ladies have trouble doing that anyway xx

Edit to add: I'm no good at links but if you google CND Shellac MSDS (Material Safety Date Sheets) and click on the first thing that comes up, you'll see it is classed as a Hazardous Substance and Dangerous Goods and have a read about ingestion and inhalation etc
Well I think she would be still long enough for the Shellac to 'set' then she would waiting forever for polish to dry

i agree with kids should be kids...

i dont have a daughter but i am one!!have you ever wanted to copy your mum?wear her clothes and shoes? have you ever played dress up and worn your mums make up? we all wanted to be the latest celeb/princess etc and i think getting your nails done just emulates this. this is of course my opinion!! now im not saying that if i had a daughter of say 5 years old that i would let her have shellac every week or anything....but for special occasions etc then yes i would...everything in life is about moderation and boundaries...

if a child thinks of this as a treat and not expects it whenever then this is a boundary and is moderated by the parents...so long as the parents are in charge of what a child should and shouldnt have then i dont see a problem...i see problems when a young child is dictating to parents of what she/he expects!

Latest posts

Back