Minx coming off- how to prevent it

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenrose

Reaction score
I done minx toes on a 11 year old girl 2 weeks ago. A week later 2 had just "popped off" and today Iv been told she only has 2 left on.
Now as her toes were very small I had to use a small bit of adhesive on them to help them stick on!
So Im unsure that they just popped off!
Not spoken to her yet but Im assuming she has been wearing trainers etc which has helped them come off.
She is coming in tomorrow after the salon owner told her I would redo for nothing because they havnt lasted as long as they should. I rent a room btw, so I dont think its fair she said that.
Do you think I should just tell her minx isnt for her seeing as they arent lasting/not getting looked after properly? And maybe try hollywood toes instead?
Any advice! Thanks!

Hi Karenrose,

If it was me, I would offer to do a set for nothing (seems as you have no choice, now, thanks to the salon owner!) but make her (or her mum!) completely aware that it is highly possible the same thing will happen again and offer her some alternatives hollywood toes, nail art etc. Hth Good luck xx

I think thats really unfair of the salon owner, unless she plans to pay for it out of her pocket. I would not guarantee them to last on a child as I wouldnt be surprised if the child picks/ fiddles with it, wears unsuitable/tight footwear.. gosh even bites their toes :eek:
I think when she comes in you will be able to see though if she has pulled them off herself by the condition of the nail- I wouldnt imagine she bothered to warm the minx before pulling it off.
To be honest I would be inclined to have a word with the salon owner as why should you fork out for her giving away unnecessary freebies?

Hey, while I was working in salon doing minx (self employed), I charged less for childrens as I used much less product and knew they would be off in a matter of days, but I made sure I always advised the parents that they would probably not last long on childs toes as they are definately more careless than us adults. As they were paying less they all seemed happy with that.I think getting a week on a child is great, don't think they really have anything to complain about and as for the salon owner saying they can get a new set when its your money, product and time I think is terrible. Does she realise when you are a self employed person you make those decisions for yourself? Good Luck xx

I charge the same for children as I do adults. I tell them that it is unlikly to last any where near as long on a child as an adult. I have done a set on a 13 year old today and her toes where a similar size to her mum's so as far as I am concerned the same product, my service is mainly what they are paying for so that is the same and it is up to them if they want to minx their child's toes knowing it will not last as long. Having said that I have had a couple that have lasted 4 weeks on 12/13 year old this summer, I guess because it was during the holiday and they were in sandals.

Looks like you have no choice now if you did not tell the client that it was unlikely to last any where near as long on her child and she has been told you will re-do them for her by the salon owner. If you did tell her then sorry I would not re-do it for nothing. Its a fine line between being fair and professional and opening the door for the world and his wife to try it on. Definately make sure that clients are aware from now on that you do not guarantee minx on children and I would definately make sure the salon owner knows that you will make your own decision from now on with regards to any problems that arise from your work. I guess she is just adopting the same attitude with regards to you as she would her own staff and trying to keep the customer happy at all times and maintain her salon's reputation which is totally understandable, but you cant have it both ways really - rent out the room and call all the shots. It would obviously be different if she employed you but she doesn't so then you are your own boss and self employed and bearing the cost of her decision made on your behalf without first consulting you.

Probably just something that needs to brought up and I'm sure can be sorted from now on but just cover your own back at all times and make it clear to all client's what your terms are. Good luck x

Last edited:
I said to the salon owner that I would redo cheaper but not for free as Im still using my product. As if I use the same set of minx on her I could of made money out of it by using it on someone else! And she said she doesnt want to charge her as the whole family come to her. They own a shop and all the workers go to her also for their hair. So if needs be she will pay for the minx instead of me charging the customer.
The young girl was so pleased with her minx and kept telling her mum they can last 8 weeks, and I kept telling her- ONLY if she looks after them properly they can last that length of time! So she knew they may or may not last.
When they come in tomorrow I will offer hollywood toes instead as there is more chance of it lasting as it cant be picked off.

I did my daughters toes something like 6 weeks ago (she is 4) they did last wit out adhesive or anything else, BUT she has picked one of, and some seems lost. I have found out they are not lost, they are just worn, so all the gold is gone, but when I se her running around I'm not surprised. So maybe that is the case, and you will really be able to tell if they are picked of lol, my daughter tried to blame the dog:lol:

If I do minx children I charge full price, I am not paid for my products, but by time. The cost of the product is not enough to justify charging less.

I also think that you have to be careful advertising them as lasting 8 weeks, I know they can, but if they don't then you will have people coming to you and complaining. I always say 4-6 weeks and then add 'but a lot of my clients go longer because they look after them'.

Oh and please let the shop owner pay, not only for the minx, but for the time if it is obvious that it is picked of. Is the shop owner trained in nails or minx? Otherwise you might have to be a bit firm and tell her that YOU need to se nails, if there is any complaints, as you are the only one who can judge if they are picked or ruined any other way.

No she is only a hairdresser! But said the girls minx just popped off so she offered a free re-minx to her! Before telling me or letting me see for myself what has happened. She was meant to come in last saturday to let me fix the 2 that had came off in the first week but she didnt appear.
This is the first child Iv done and I didnt want to charge less just because I am using less minx but it actually took longer than an adult as the toes were alot smaller so more shaping was involved. And the use of adhesive to get the tiny ones to stick properly.
I do tell all clients that they can last upto 8 weeks if looked after properly. I had my last set on for 9 weeks, they didnt look as good but I was able to show clients they do stay put if looked after. And I never had 1 fall off.

If she didn't even appear when you were supposed to redo the 2, then she should pay.

I don't understand people who complains, but don't let them see the problems, how can you do anything then?

I really hope for you it's the last time the shop owner puts you in a situation like that. MINX doesn't pop off, I have never heard of that, so check for those damages, you know they will be there, and then be firm at TELL her you can see it:hug:

Yeah I will be looking for any damage with peeling! I peeled mine off and there was little bits of the adhesive there and my nails looked dry. Untill I put solar oil on a few times and they were back to normal!
I really wont do it for free as I feel I have done nothing wrong!

To be honest I have to agree that I would not advertise them as lasting 8 weeks even though we know it is a fab product that can last an extrodinary lenght of time. I say up to 4 weeks knowing it will last them longer if the client takes a bit of care and does not pick at it and the clients are thrilled when they do get 6 and even 8 weeks. Some clients don't want the same design on that long and want to change their minx because they just want a different design and some just want a pedicure and a change of minx monthly.

The point is you did make it clear that she needed to look after her minx and none of my Minx, my 13 year old daughter or family and friends that I see regularly have ever had their minx just "pop off", it does not happen. You did offer to repair it but the client failed to turn up as agreed. You could have been earning money doing another treatment in the time allocated to her for her missed appointment.

The salon owner is looking after her clients that are influential in bring her in alot of trade so that is her decision not yours to "keep them very happy". She has offered to pay for the minx, but sorry she should also pay you for the complete appointment as you could be earning money from filling that time with another paying client which you need to pay your rent for the room.

This is a business arrangement and you are a professional. The salon owner is also a very dilligent business woman who is protecting her custom but this cannot happen at your expense or you will find it difficult to change that in the future - I know from experience. Start as you mean to carry on, you are worth it. x

Hi huni, i just realised it was you lol.

First of all i wouls lwt your salon owner know that you cannot afford to do repairs for free, and then explain to the clients that they last 4weeks maybe more and be specific with the after care.

its such a shame that they dont last that long tho i wish they would x

Tiny toes are always vulnerable, as are soft toe nails that do not have good defined free edge, and alot of kids tend to have both. The bigger the nail the better I find usually. Also does she take baths instead of showers? A nice long soak in a hot bath is the best thing for bringing them off! :eek:

Hi huni, i just realised it was you lol.

First of all i wouls lwt your salon owner know that you cannot afford to do repairs for free, and then explain to the clients that they last 4weeks maybe more and be specific with the after care.

its such a shame that they dont last that long tho i wish they would x

Hey Kim! Mine has lasted 8-9 weeks no probs but I know what to do and what not to do to make sure it lasts! Then all I do is file the free edge down a bit every few weeks! I like to get my moneys worth out of it :lol:

I will repair the odd nail here and there for free its only when its something like a full new set that I refuse to do for free! If the owner is willing to pay then thats fair enough!
I might type up an aftercare sheet for minx actually! Then that way nobody can say they forgot how to look after them or I didnt tell them something!

Latest posts

Back