Minx Lamp Substitute?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katykitten

Reaction score
I'm due to get the Mini Minx kit next month for my birthday - can't wait to get minxing!

Finances aren't able to stretch to the full kit with the lamp, so my question is, who has been successful without the lamp?

I've read that a couple of people thought of trying hairdryers etc, was this possible?

I will get the lamp in time for the summer when I start offering to my clients within the salon, as I would like it to appear as professional as it can be, but wanted to know what I could use instead of the lamp in the mean time whilst I'm practising, and any hints/tips?

Thanks Geeks xx

I wonder if they`l have any offers that you can get at Excel hun??

You can buy infra-red lamps from other places (including Eb*y), they don't look as attractive as the Minx lamp but do the same job which is to supply heat. My infra-red lamp is not the most attractive beast but I wanted before the Minx lamps were available and it does the job perfectly.

hth's

Hi,
I use an ordinary infa red lamp, I think it may have originally come from Argos. It was my Mum's she was always using it on her sports injuries. I have now got it on permanent loan from her. It does the job just fine, I have to mess a bit with the angle........fine for me, and it doesn't look bad either.
Lotsa luv Happy Minxing x :hug: x

I got one from Aldi or Lidl, can't remember which one, bargain at £7.99, the minx lamp just wasn't suitable for me as I'm mobile.

You can buy infra-red lamps from other places (including Eb*y), they don't look as attractive as the Minx lamp but do the same job which is to supply heat. My infra-red lamp is not the most attractive beast but I wanted before the Minx lamps were available and it does the job perfectly.

hth's

Me too, as long as it has a 150 watt bulb it should be OK - HTH

Okay... I KNOW you are supposed to use a heat lamp, but I remember how last year, when I first heard of Minx, that some techs were using a hair dryer.

I was having some trouble with my heat lamp, and admit that I started using my hair dryer instead, and it works really well. I've since built a stand for my heat lamp (not a Minx one, just a small one as I'm also mobile, but the lamp sat at a funny angle) and can use that again, but the hair dryer was very flexible and still gave a very good outcome.

Unorthodox, I know, but it's still heat and I actually prefer it in a way as I'm always a bit nervous about the heat lamp and burning myself as it gets really hot!

Anyone else admit to this horrible crime? :o

Okay... I KNOW you are supposed to use a heat lamp, but I remember how last year, when I first heard of Minx, that some techs were using a hair dryer.

I was having some trouble with my heat lamp, and admit that I started using my hair dryer instead, and it works really well. I've since built a stand for my heat lamp (not a Minx one, just a small one as I'm also mobile, but the lamp sat at a funny angle) and can use that again, but the hair dryer was very flexible and still gave a very good outcome.

Unorthodox, I know, but it's still heat and I actually prefer it in a way as I'm always a bit nervous about the heat lamp and burning myself as it gets really hot!

Anyone else admit to this horrible crime? :o

I tried it at first and don't see it as a crime. My problem was it blew dust (and the Minx) all over my room and the noise got on mine and my client's nerves, so not for me:)

My personal opinion...your application of minx will be much better with a good infra-red lamp that has a heat control switch....up full for initial heating, of hands and minx, and then turned low (medium in severe cold temperatures) and allowing use of both hands to apply Minx easily and with slight pressure from both of your thumbs and index fingers.

You can get a small infa red lamp by phillips on ebay or from amazon for around £10 which is ideal for nails, it is like a desk lamp style, I have one of those and a large one like creative sell that I use for massage, the smaller one is just as efficent if you are on budget and is ideal if you are short of storage space as the other is quite bulky.

I still agree - the lamp is best, but in a pinch, the hair dryer WILL work. When I travelled to Canada at Christmastime, I wanted to do Minx on my aunt and cousin, and certainly couldn't bring my UK lamp with me. I used the dryer on them and it was fine.

Anyone with the smaller lamps - does anyone else get annoyed with the angle? I hate that it angles UPWARD - I've built a little stand thing that holds it downward and keeps it secure, but buying the big lamp wasn't an option due to price and size constraints (if I had a non-mobile salon, sure, but the thing is HUGE!).

Thanks Geeks for all your advice

Gonna go have a look for a lamp now................ xx

Last edited:
Hi All, I am just beginning to get back to work after having my Son and have retrained in eyelash extensions. It is going really well but am LOVING the new Minx nails and am planning do a manicure and pedicure course.

Does anyone have any recommendations on best courses to do. I'm based in Bournemouth.

Also, can anyone give me more info on Minx. Are the products/kits pricey? and would you recommend them?

Any advice for a mobile newbie would be gratefully received!!!

x:green:

Hi All, I am just beginning to get back to work after having my Son and have retrained in eyelash extensions. It is going really well but am LOVING the new Minx nails and am planning do a manicure and pedicure course.

Does anyone have any recommendations on best courses to do. I'm based in Bournemouth.

Also, can anyone give me more info on Minx. Are the products/kits pricey? and would you recommend them?

Any advice for a mobile newbie would be gratefully received!!!

x:green:

You could ring Sweet Squared 0845 210 6060 and ask what Minx training they do as they are the authorised distributors for Minx

HTHs x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back