Minx, The Sun and the highstreet

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the point is being missed here....Ruth (nailsinlondon) and I where chatting about this and we both said that we wished Zoe luck in her new venture and she can launch what she likes...there is no monopoly, but why promote something of her own on the back of something else....its the ethics in which this was done...not what has been done.

Why use the name Minx to launch something that isn't Minx....its lazy and ethically wrong...launch it on its own merits if its thats good.

Its like me bringing a new car on the market....and then go on and on about another make of car....Jaguar is a brilliant car and all the celebs have one and its stunning and fast and reliable ect...ohh and my new car is just like a Jaguar.....but its called a Zaguar:!:

Last edited:
I do agree that Blinkx or whatever it is called, does sound too similar to Minx. But have they actually copied designs, or created new ones that would give the market more choice?

Uh, Bob... Minx is patent pending and first to market with a pretty cool innovation that has been very positive for the industry. Innovation should be rewarded shouldn't it? Minx and S2 have invested heavily into it so why shouldn't the risk have some sort of commercial reward? It certainly has the opposite effect if indeed that investment doesn't pay off. Or is it just because its S2 Bob?

The owners of Blixz became distributors for Minx (and created Blixz) to specifically knock it off to take to the high street, bypassing the industry all together. While you clearly think that should be rewarded, others would consider what they have done, theft.

I clearly see where you stand on this but me? Investment and morals aside I still stand behind the professional and support our industry where I can. Guess I shouldn't be surprised when others don't.

HTHs

I didn't comment on the Sun article. There are three possibilities here:

1) Zoe deliberately mislead the reporter in order to promote her products as Minx

I don't know Zoe personally, but unless she is a total dimwit with no ethics then she would have understood that 1) wasn't a good idea.

2) The Sun reporter screwed up and perhaps lost the printed information that Zoe surely would have given

err.... is that even possible?

3) Perhaps what happened was Zoe tried to explain the wider market for these products and the name of Minx was mentioned to highlight the success of that product with a few (and let's face it, it is very few) celebs. The Sun reporter may have genuinely misunderstood or they could have used the situation to make the story more interesting for her editor. That couldn't happen could it? :eek:

Only Zoe and the reporters know for sure. But hey, let's not give Zoe who is one of our own the benefit of the doubt. Let's publicly slag her off - and then go back to believing everything the Sun writes.

I repeat. Nice.

Only Zoe and the reporters know for sure. But hey, let's not give Zoe who is one of our own the benefit of the doubt. Let's publicly slag her off - and then go back to believing everything the Sun writes.

I repeat. Nice.

Eh? People are up in arms not because of what she said in the Sun, but rather that she is taking knock offs direct to the public.

That shows support for your profession doesn't it?

Nice.

I think you mean allegedly said to the Sun.

Are people sure it's a total knock off? The designs too? Is it applied the same way exactly? Or is this all just conjecture? Do we even know for sure what her product name is?

I understand some techs see this as a betrayal, but it could lead to consumers generally becoming more interested in this type of product and encourage them to have Minx professionally applied at a salon.

Until we know more about her product, it just seems to me too many people are jumping to conclusions without having all the facts.

:grr:​

Bob, I am telling you because I am very familiar with the product and the people behind it.

OK - now that it is clear I understand. Until this point it wasn't clear that anyone had actually seen the product.

Good luck suing the pants off them then.

Thanks Bob, Minx are all over it :)

I haven't tried Minx, but if it's so easy to apply like you say, then why should only professionals get to buy it? Because it is a professional use only product. It may not be the hardest product in the worlkd to master but it takes skill to make it look fabulous and last for 8 weeks like my Mix toes do.

And if it's hard to do, then why do you only need the normal certificates (some kind of manicure certificate for example) to be able to buy them? If really only professionals were able to use them correctly, then why is there no special Minx certificate needed to buy them...? Because funnily enough professional nail qualifications teach you more than how to paint nails. Good, thorough courses teach you core skills that you can apply across the industry.

To me it just seems like Sweetsquared and other companies that supply Minx want to have a monopoly on it, they do not want any competition which is silly and cowardly. Same with nail techs that offer Minx, they don't want their customers to be able to buy Minx and apply themselves because that means less business for them. Rubbish. As Samuel has already said Minx and S2 have invested heavily in the product so why shouldn't they gain commercial success from it? I'm a Tech offering Minx and of course I want the business but I also want my clients nails to look the best and a professional service is the way to gat a flawless look. Funnily enough diy jobs never look as good as a pro job and it's not coincidence.

With the greatest respect you have had no nail training and as such I don't believe you are qualified to comment on threads like these. Had you had training you might just understand why we all feel strongly about products being ripped off for the the diy market. Nail training is clearly harder than you imagine.

Mmmmm well I wanted your opinions and I surely got them lol

My two pennath worth !!!!

Am I upset that this article is in the sun......well no not really, I think it is positive advertising for minx, it has brought it to a mass audience, and does clearly say that it would look better if applied by a professional.

Am I upset that it is false advertising, well only in the fact that it obviously did not mention that there are trained independant technicians who can be contacted via SS to offer a professional service and not at 'celebrity prices'(all me me me lol)

Do I think that SS and Minx want a monopoly.....NO,its not about the competition, its not even about an insider s***ing on their own doorstep, they are well within their rights to protect a product and the Brand. If the new product is not as good as Minx then obviously you would not want your good reputation besmirched.

Do I as a technician worry that people on the high street will be able to buy another product and I will loose customers................NO.........those people who come to a salon or independent technician will still keep on coming,having a great product helps but there are other factors involved.
Those that buy a different version..............well I know how difficult it is to apply minx using my non dominat hand..........so all I can say is good luck !!!!!

Well I think that all makes sense..............well possibly only to an elf lol

Mmmmm well I wanted your opinions and I surely got them lol

My two pennath worth !!!!

Am I upset that this article is in the sun......well no not really, I think it is positive advertising for minx, it has brought it to a mass audience, and does clearly say that it would look better if applied by a professional.

Am I upset that it is false advertising, well only in the fact that it obviously did not mention that there are trained independant technicians who can be contacted via SS to offer a professional service and not at 'celebrity prices'(all me me me lol)

Do I think that SS and Minx want a monopoly.....NO,its not about the competition, its not even about an insider s***ing on their own doorstep, they are well within their rights to protect a product and the Brand. If the new product is not as good as Minx then obviously you would not want your good reputation besmirched.

Do I as a technician worry that people on the high street will be able to buy another product and I will loose customers................NO.........those people who come to a salon or independent technician will still keep on coming,having a great product helps but there are other factors involved.
Those that buy a different version..............well I know how difficult it is to apply minx using my non dominat hand..........so all I can say is good luck !!!!!

Well I think that all makes sense..............well possibly only to an elf lol

A sensible, logical great response. So was Vetty's but I have to 'spread the love!!' :lol:

I dont use minx as im still a new business so haven't had the money to invest into it just yet but i think it's an amazing product!

The thing i would be worried about would be that because these knock offs aren't applied by a professional and some people have said that professionals are still getting the hang of the real thing (minx) Then the general public are probably going to struggle applying them and therefore not apply them correctly. This problem can go one of two ways it can
A) make them come to you for it done as they cant succeed in doing it themselves
or
B) They manage to apply it but the effects are that bad ie they get a days wear out of them and then they come off or they have trouble getting them off or they damage the natural nail and they then assume the real deal (minx) will do the same thing and therefore minx gets a bad rep as well

Not good news really :(

I think what we need is a professional review done on the products to show the general public what is what and which the best product is and the prices of them applied professionally and how much the pack is to apply themselves and let them decide for themselves (minx clearly will be the winner)

Latest posts

Back