Mistake on highlift

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the real issue with creating reds is that unless the client has a lot of red pigment in their hair, the colour is not being supported by their underlying pigment, rather you are relying on the artificial pigment entirely to create the tone. And faded reds and coppers just look wishy-washy, rather than say a brown which just looks like a lighter version of itself. Traditionally red&copper dyes were just not as durable as other dyes, but I don't think that it is so true nowadays.

How do you mean lifting between a 7 & 8? I suppose natural blondes tend to have finer hair so often lift faster.

I mean like the time it takes to get from a 7 to a 8 is longer than it is when getting from say a 5 to a 6?

I don't find it takes longer, but if you are prelightening from a darker base you will usually see a lot of warmth when you get to that level.

Just thinking about your question, people with brown hair tend to have a higher percentage of red/pheomelanin in their hair than natural blondes, so when you lift with colour up to an 8, then there tends to be a stonger yellow undertone than is ideal, and I think this can make it harder to get that soft translucent natural blonde look.

Just thinking about your question, people with brown hair tend to have a higher percentage of red/pheomelanin in their hair than natural blondes, so when you lift with colour up to an 8, then there tends to be a stonger yellow undertone than is ideal, and I think this can make it harder to get that soft translucent natural blonde look.

Yeah, so you mean harder to get from an 8 to a 9?

I mean if the client was say a natural base 5 and wanted to be a level 8, then you can get the three levels of lift with permanent colour, but there would likely be a lot of yellow making it harder to get a natural-looking result.

In terms of pre-lightenening then yes levels 8, 9 to 10 - yellow, pale yellow and very pale yellow tend to be the slowest because you are primarily lifting out the pheomelanin which is harder to lighten than eumelanin.

I mean if the client was say a natural base 5 and wanted to be a level 8, then you can get the three levels of lift with permanent colour, but there would likely be a lot of yellow making it harder to get a natural-looking result.

In terms of pre-lightenening then yes levels 8, 9 to 10 - yellow, pale yellow and very pale yellow tend to be the slowest because you are primarily lifting out the pheomelanin which is harder to lighten than eumelanin.

Ahhh yes!

Ahhh yes!

Lol I love that you ask lots of questions, I am the same, I always want to know 'why' something is the way it is.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Lol I love that you ask lots of questions, I am the same, I always want to know 'why' something is the way it is.

Me too, I find of I understand everything deep down to the most intricate details,then it all makes sense a lot more,rather than, put this on and this will happen.

But if I think anything more about wella highlift my mind will explode haha

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Me too, I find of I understand everything deep down to the most intricate details,then it all makes sense a lot more,rather than, put this on and this will happen.

But if I think anything more about wella highlift my mind will explode haha

I totally agree! In my opinion hair colour education is conceptualised in the sense they teach what usually/should work but it isn't nessiarily true.

OK forget wella highlifts, did you know that primary colours don't exist? :D

I totally agree! In my opinion hair colour education is conceptualised in the sense they teach what usually/should work but it isn't nessiarily true.

OK forget wella highlifts, did you know that primary colours don't exist? :D

Please no! I can't deal with all the things I know being untrue! It's like QI! I'd rather be ignorant sometimes hahahah.

Ok so what do you mean there are no primary colours?

Haha well the first thing to consider is the sensation that you call colour is in your mind! When you 'experience' colour it is created in your brain when diffent light sensitive cells (called cones) in your retinas send signals to your brain.

Humans have three types of 'cones' (some animals have more and thus can 'see' a diffent range of colours).

Each cone is primarily responsive to the wavelengths of light that correspond with red, green and blue.

The problem is that at least two of these cones is actived every for every colour that we can see, meaning that if you were to plot every colour in the spectrum on a "map" either we wouldn't be able to 'see' the primary colours (since they would fall outside the boundaries of what we can see and thus imaginary) or if you take the furthest points within this 'map' you wouldn't encompase all of the colours that we can actually see, so those points can't be considered.

haha well the first thing to consider is the sensation that you call colour is in your mind! When you 'experience' colour it is created in your brain when diffent light sensitive cells (called cones) in your retinas send signals to your brain.

Humans have three types of 'cones' (some animals have more and thus can 'see' a diffent range of colours).

Each cone is primarily responsive to the wavelengths of light that correspond with red, green and blue.

The problem is that at least two of these cones is actived every for every colour that we can see, meaning that if you were to plot every colour in the spectrum on a "map" either we wouldn't be able to 'see' the primary colours (since they would fall outside the boundaries of what we can see and thus imaginary) or if you take the furthest points within this 'map' you wouldn't encompase all of the colours that we can actually see, so those points can't be considered.

Sent from my gt-i9505 using salongeek mobile app

😐😐😐😐😐

Yeah I just have to know the answer to everything!

Yeah I just have to know the answer to everything!

You use wella don't you?

Did you know too... Interesting fact alert... The colour of your own eyes also affects the tones we see colours as, I.e someone with blue eyes would call certain green tones blue, and someone with green eyes sees colours more green.... That is all....

You use wella don't you?

Yup I do why? I've bookmarked that link ready to read later!

Did you know too... Interesting fact alert... The colour of your own eyes also affects the tones we see colours as, I.e someone with blue eyes would call certain green tones blue, and someone with green eyes sees colours more green.... That is all....

I'm looking round now to see if my white walls look green😂

I'm looking round now to see if my white walls look green😂

It's true too, 2 of my little ones have blue eyes and I have greeny brown, we really get going arguing the toss over what colour things are! I'm sure they jus think I'm dumb!

It's true too, 2 of my little ones have blue eyes and I have greeny brown, we really get going arguing the toss over what colour things are! I'm sure they jus think I'm dumb!

Just say 'listen, I'm a hairdresser. I know the colour spectrum'

Latest posts

Back