Mobile hair prices, too scared to put prices up in case I lose clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samiad84

Reaction score
Hi everyone

For the last 8 years I've been a mobile hairdresser, I've never put my prices up from when I left a salon I was at for fear i would lose the client base I had, then when i finally thought its time (4yrs post leaving the salon) I fell pregnant with my daughter, so another 4 years have rolled by since then and she's due to go into full time education come September, so im planning on having a bit of a revamp with the products/prices come sept.
I've had to take my daughter to work with me everyday so I always felt I couldn't justify putting my prices up because clients have had to put up with her being around.
I would like some guidance on hair prices currently £10/15 for a cut and blow
£25/£30 for all colours Inc cut and blow.

Am I too cheap?? I'm so worried about charging more!

Wow, that's ridiculously cheap for someone with years of experience. I could understand it more if you'd just passed your level 2 but 8+ yrs out of the salon?

How much profit are you making per year?

You should be charging double those prices, I'd have thought.

You're far too cheap!

I know. I thought it might be too cheap...well I don't make anything :/ husband pays for everything, truthfully I barely make £500 a month before expenses. I would like to start pulling in more of a wage even if its just to put away for a rainy day.

Thankyou for the comments. Xxx

I know. I thought it might be too cheap...well I don't make anything :/ husband pays for everything, truthfully I barely make £500 a month before expenses. I would like to start pulling in more of a wage even if its just to put away for a rainy day.

Thankyou for the comments. Xxx

Do you have a full pricelist you could show us?

Do you have a full pricelist you could show us?

No i dont have a current a pricelist, i havent for many years as I have the same clients having the same things, a few variations along the way but generally it's the same thing every week, this is again why I'm finding it soo hard to put the prices up, clients are more like family, I feel cheeky asking for more, esp as I'm not doing anything different for them :/ xx

No i dont have a current a pricelist, i havent for many years as I have the same clients having the same things, a few variations along the way but generally it's the same thing every week, this is again why I'm finding it soo hard to put the prices up, clients are more like family, I feel cheeky asking for more, esp as I'm not doing anything different for them :/ xx

You're the only one getting affected though... You're the one making nothing. If they really want you they'll pay the money.

So what do you do and what do you charge for it?

Blow dry £7/£10 short/long
Cut and blow £10/ £15 short/long
Regrowth cut and blow £30/£35 short/long
Foil highlights cut and blow £30 /£35 short/long

What should I be charging?

Thankyou xx

Tell them the colour went up in the warehouse so the colour price has gone up and you gave you your small job as a ______ fill in the blank, cleaner etc so you no longer have that income so the cut & blowdry prices have to go up too :)

Real Friends don't expect freebies or huge discounts and just want to support you to be successful.

You need to stop treating hairdressing like a cheap hobby if you want to make any money to live on.
How would you manage if your husband became ill, lost his job and couldn't afford the bills?
You've had 8 years to build a cushion of savings.

Would you consider renting a chair whilst your daughter's in pre-school?
It sounds like you need to start finding completely new clients and charging them the correct price and build your business that way. Slowly ditch your regulars, telling them you're no longer offering mobile services.

You owe it to your daughter to set her a good example and make her proud.
'my mummy runs her own successful business'.

Come on, you can do this. :)

Blow dry £7/£10 short/long
Cut and blow £10/ £15 short/long
Regrowth cut and blow £30/£35 short/long
Foil highlights cut and blow £30 /£35 short/long

What should I be charging?

Thankyou xx

I'd say do a flat rate of £15 for blowdry, £20 for anything that requires more strenuous drying like long thick hair or a curly blow.

I'd say £25-30 for cut and finish, £40-60 for restyle.

£30 is fine for regrowth but i'd do 40 with cut.

Your highlights are the worst you're allowing yourself to be robbed. Do a starting price of £50 for regrowth or short hair. For longer hair take it up to £60, then £70 for even longer. Add more for cut.

Real Friends don't expect freebies or huge discounts and just want to support you to be successful.

You need to stop treating hairdressing like a cheap hobby if you want to make any money to live on.
How would you manage if your husband became ill, lost his job and couldn't afford the bills?
You've had 8 years to build a cushion of savings.

Would you consider renting a chair whilst your daughter's in pre-school?
It sounds like you need to start finding completely new clients and charging them the correct price and build your business that way. Slowly ditch your regulars, telling them you're no longer offering mobile services.

You owe it to your daughter to set her a good example and make her proud.
'my mummy runs her own successful business'.

Come on, you can do this. :)
Thankyou. I think this is the kick up the arse I needed....

I used to rent a chair in a salon but the whole experience was awful hence why I left and took all the clients I had....and still have ha ha a few have popped their clogs along the way now though :)

I would perhaps consider the renting a chair again it once my daughter was in full time school (sept) as I don't have childcare or family that could have her, people who have family to care for their kids just don't understand how lucky they are ;)

Right.....well I certainly have some thinking to do, thanks for replying xx

I'd say do a flat rate of £15 for blowdry, £20 for anything that requires more strenuous drying like long thick hair or a curly blow.

I'd say £25-30 for cut and finish, £40-60 for restyle.

£30 is fine for regrowth but i'd do 40 with cut.

Your highlights are the worst you're allowing yourself to be robbed. Do a starting price of £50 for regrowth or short hair. For longer hair take it up to £60, then £70 for even longer. Add more for cut.

Wow God I'm way off aren't I.....:/

Ha ha my husbands now yelling at me "see I told u so"
thanks for helping xx

Ha ha my husbands now yelling at me "see I told u so"
thanks for helping xx
Wow God I'm way off aren't I.....:/

I personally wouldn't charge £40-60 for restyle if your mobile as I thought mobile is suppost to be abit cheaper, I pay £45 for a restyle in the salon I go too and the lady has 6 years experience. I also pay £55 for a full head of highlights with her aswell and my hair is thick just past my shoulders. And then my cut is added on top of those prices.
I use to always have mobile hairdressers do my hair and would of been abit shocked if they charged me £70 for highlights then more for my cut and blow dry working out nearly £100 as that's salon prices really. I always went for mobile to make it a little bit more affordable.
I'd put up your prices as they are super cheap considering your experience but I wouldn't go that extreme lol I think it would stop you getting clients personally but my opinion! X

I personally wouldn't charge £40-60 for restyle if your mobile as I thought mobile is suppost to be abit cheaper.

Grr, Mobile services shouldn't be viewed as cheap!
You are offering a bespoke service on a 1:1 basis in the comfort of their own home with no interruptions at a time that suits them.

Question:
Would you expect to pay a personal trainer more or less for coming to your home and working with you on a personal training plan than if you booked a slot with them at your local gym?

Why should hairdressing be different? Is it because more men are personal trainers??

Grr, Mobile services shouldn't be viewed as cheap!
You are offering a bespoke service on a 1:1 basis in the comfort of their own home with no interruptions at a time that suits them.

Question:
Would you expect to pay a personal trainer more or less for coming to your home and working with you on a personal training plan than if you booked a slot with them at your local gym?

Why should hairdressing be different? Is it because more men are personal trainers??
I said CHEAPER not cheap! For example I do hair extensions and would charge more if I worked in a salon because I would have to pay overheads and for the chair but because I do it mobile i do it abit cheaper as I don't have those things to pay for . Makes sense to me.

And yeah actually my patner is a personal trainer and he actually charges £20 less for home visits as then there's no fee from the gym he would be training the client in!

I personally wouldn't charge £40-60 for restyle if your mobile as I thought mobile is suppost to be abit cheaper, I pay £45 for a restyle in the salon I go too and the lady has 6 years experience. I also pay £55 for a full head of highlights with her aswell and my hair is thick just past my shoulders. And then my cut is added on top of those prices.
I use to always have mobile hairdressers do my hair and would of been abit shocked if they charged me £70 for highlights then more for my cut and blow dry working out nearly £100 as that's salon prices really. I always went for mobile to make it a little bit more affordable.
I'd put up your prices as they are super cheap considering your experience but I wouldn't go that extreme lol I think it would stop you getting clients personally but my opinion! X

Why should mobile be cheaper?

Its the clients choice to have their hair done at home, shouldn't mean its cheaper.

Latest posts

Back