Mobile hair prices, too scared to put prices up in case I lose clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blow dry £7/£10 short/long
Cut and blow £10/ £15 short/long
Regrowth cut and blow £30/£35 short/long
Foil highlights cut and blow £30 /£35 short/long

Where abouts are you in the UK also have a look at salon prices around you, it's not good you charging £70/80 for highlights if salons round you are charging £50/60! Your prices are mega cheap when I did mobile I charged £35'roots cut and blow
£45 full. Foils and cut
£20 cut and Blowdry
£12 Blowdry

Why should mobile be cheaper?

Its the clients choice to have their hair done at home, shouldn't mean its cheaper.
I think it should be cheaper because your not getting a salon experience( backwash, nice drinks etc), it's the homeowners water, electric and they have to clean up after themselves!

I'm in n.Wales very close to Chester

I don't think I could go bonkers putting up the prices up I agree.

I think what I've taken from everyone's comments is its OK to put the prices up a bit and to charge according I have 16 years experience and I lack self confidence I think its going to be so so hard for me because im just too nice to people but if I'm ever to pay off my mortgage I need to do something.

I really appreciate all your comments.

I think it should be cheaper because your not getting a salon experience( backwash, nice drinks etc), it's the homeowners water, electric and they have to clean up after themselves!

But they've made that decision to have it done in their house and have their water used. They're still getting the same quality of service and result.

I personally clean up after myself and so should every other mobile hairdresser thats just lazy.

But they've made that decision to have it done in their house and have their water used. They're still getting the same quality of service and result.

I personally clean up after myself and so should every other mobile hairdresser thats just lazy.

Yeah but you still have to to run round with the dyson etc I just think it's an inconvenience, you can tell the difference on opinions for those who are in salons and some who do mobile. But they're not getting he same quality of service yes the hair will still be the same but like I say you're not having the salon experience and having your hair washed over the bath is a chore! My customers don't mind paying abit extra as there offered tassimo coffee, wine or Buck's Fizz the beautician does hand massages whilst colours are developing, massaging backwashes etc result is the same at home as in the salon but the experience for the client is much nicer

Yeah but you still have to to run round with the dyson etc I just think it's an inconvenience, you can tell the difference on opinions for those who are in salons and some who do mobile. But they're not getting he same quality of service yes the hair will still be the same but like I say you're not having the salon experience and having your hair washed over the bath is a chore! My customers don't mind paying abit extra as there offered tassimo coffee, wine or Buck's Fizz the beautician does hand massages whilst colours are developing, massaging backwashes etc result is the same at home as in the salon but the experience for the client is much nicer

Whats an inconvenience?

But all that still isn't cohesive with the fact they make the choice to have their hair done at home so why should they get it any cheaper?

We still put the same amount of time in and artistic vision into the work we do whether at home or in a salon and we should get paid for that.

Whats an inconvenience?

But all that still isn't cohesive with the fact they make the choice to have their hair done at home so why should they get it any cheaper?

We still put the same amount of time in and artistic vision into the work we do whether at home or in a salon and we should get paid for that.
Oh absolutely shouldn't undersell yourself as a mobile stylist, I just don't think you can charge the same as a salon

Blow dry £7/£10 short/long
Cut and blow £10/ £15 short/long
Regrowth cut and blow £30/£35 short/long
Foil highlights cut and blow £30 /£35 short/long

What should I be charging?

Thankyou xx
To be honest Samiaf, if I saw these prices I wouldn't trust you. You need to charge what you're worth by doing that I reckon you'll get more business.

Oh absolutely shouldn't undersell yourself as a mobile stylist, I just don't think you can charge the same as a salon
Mobile should cost more....

It's saving the client their taxi fare, bus fare, fuel etc. The stylist is paying extra on insurance, has a huge loss of time travelling between appointments...

I used to work mobile and earned far less than I do now as I couldn't fit in as many appointments and had to spend far more getting to them.

Jesus Christ how do you make money? I'd dread going to work charging those prices! You probably wouldn't loose custom, even if you just put them up by a fiver per service as they still won't get them that cheap anywhere else! X

Please buy this book it helps you to understand profit and loss amongst other things http://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Katie...ser/12724027?gclid=CLW9-rDXzcoCFQ4TGwodBTEJ-A

Think about If you charge £7 for a blow dry what are you making once you minus
Petrol @ .45p a mile
Products .50-£1
20% tax
Time?

Take into consideration the fact that you won't get paid for holidays etc

Realistically how much do you want to earn per hour?????

Once you have that cost add on products and work
Your price out that way xx

I'm in n.Wales very close to Chester

I don't think I could go bonkers putting up the prices up I agree.

I think what I've taken from everyone's comments is its OK to put the prices up a bit and to charge according I have 16 years experience and I lack self confidence I think its going to be so so hard for me because im just too nice to people but if I'm ever to pay off my mortgage I need to do something.

I really appreciate all your comments.

You need to toughen up, this is your work not a hobby. If you are too nice, people will take advantage of you. At the moment you are working for free. This is your business. These clients are not your friends if they expect you to work for free.

Last edited:
I hate that people think mobile services should be cheaper than a salon, I am beauty not hair but the principle stands that MOST appointments are in the evenings when salons are closed, the client gets to stay warm and dry at home with the luxury of a personalised service, we learn a LOT about our clients being in their homes, it should be no bother for the person to 'run the dyson round' as it is their house & if they want it clean then they have to clean it regardless of their appointment with me.

I think the fact we will go out in all weather, carting our kit about at a time to suit them makes it BETTER than a salon, you have to fit in to the salon opening times, you have to fit in to the appointment slots available & you have to like the atmosphere of the place, you have to park (sometimes pay to park, sometimes just managing to find a space is a nightmare) & you have to have childcare etc.. arranged for a salon appointment.

When they have a mobile therapist go to them they already know they like the atmosphere of their home, they can have whatever food & drink they want, a glass or even bottle of wine, eat a take away, whatever so long as I can do their treatment unhindered I don't care. I take everything I will need with me & I take everything away again (INCLUDING ALL RUBBISH) and I leave their home in the way I found it. I rearrange personal chores around my clients and I do whatever I can to fit them in when they want to be seen. They can look however they want, wear no make up, have scruffy hair/clothes it doesn't matter to me, I just want to do their treatment, get paid & leave. Some clients would die being seen out in scruffy clothes, without make up going to a salon for a tan etc...

I believe mobile therapists & salons offer services to 2 totally different groups of people though and to think that a mobile client expects the things they get in a salon is silly, just like a salon client wouldn't expect you to open on a Sunday just for 1 client - a mobile therapist may well go out to do just 1 client day/evening. As a mobile therapist I expect to get asked for appointments on ANY day or night, people do not assume that because it is Sunday you are not working. A salon client would not expect to wash their hair over the bath but a mobile client does because they know it is what will happen if they have their hair done in their home.

Any service that comes to your home is a convenience for the customer and should be charged as such!

Thankyou for all the comments, I'm not looking to make millions, just a bit more than what I am, because I have to take my 4 yr old to work with me I'm limited on the hours I can do so hence why I never put the prices up ..... For those who have kids will understand. I don't have family that can look after her.

I think I just needed some guidance on what prices actually are these days. I must admit I thought I was cheap but didn't realise just by how much. When your on your own( out of the salon) life passes you by and you get stuck in a bit of a rut.

I am very fortunate to have a husband that can easily support us. Im Just at that time of life now where is think could I pay the bills on my own if we lost him....proberly not.

I am thinking of booking myself in on some courses just to catch up with the times.....can anyone suggest any? X

Well done to the OP for taking the comments in such a positive way. Sometimes it feels like people just bashing your business but you've really taken it on board.

Re salon versus home, how you judge it is up to you. I honestly think that premium hair treatments at home can charge a premium price - using great colours, up on training, timings etc. Popping in, slapping on a cheap colour doing the kids for free while the colours on isn't going to get premium rate.

Good luck x

I'm nearly 2 years out of college and i currently charge
£18 cut&blow
£8.50 dry cut
£30-40 colours
£48 full head highlights and dont have any complaints on prices :)

I'd say do a flat rate of £15 for blowdry, £20 for anything that requires more strenuous drying like long thick hair or a curly blow.

I'd say £25-30 for cut and finish, £40-60 for restyle

£30 is fine for regrowth but i'd do 40 with cut.

Your highlights are the worst you're allowing yourself to be robbed. Do a starting price of £50 for regrowth or short hair. For longer hair take it up to £60, then £70 for even longer. Add more for cut.

I need to charge more!! This is what I was charging as junior stylist 8 years ago!

Hello, Aston and fincher do good courses. I would put the prices up. Even if you don't put your prices up loads I bet you are way cheaper than the local salons. Lookup your local salons web sights and look at those prices. I bet your clients are getting a massive bargain with you. Your self esteem will rise loads when you raise your prices. Even if some clients drop off you will be making room on your books for new people willing to pay your new prices. Hope it goes wellxxx

Hello, Aston and fincher do good courses. I would put the prices up. Even if you don't put your prices up loads I bet you are way cheaper than the local salons. Lookup your local salons web sights and look at those prices. I bet your clients are getting a massive bargain with you. Your self esteem will rise loads when you raise your prices. Even if some clients drop off you will be making room on your books for new people willing to pay your new prices. Hope it goes wellxxx
Thankyou! I never even thought to look online at prices!!!!!! My main target for new clients will be mums at school because of having to work around school hours I've already had a few enquiring!!!:)...we don't have an a and f up here but I've looked online at Alan Howard's and Sally's and they both offer some good courses, especially refresher ones so I'm definitely going to book one of those. Thanks for the nudge of encouragement! Xx

Latest posts

Back