mobile/home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breezy

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am just starting out and insured with the beauty guild as i am going to be mobile and offer spray tan, threading, eyelash/eyebrow tint and minx.

i just want to know if someone comes to me is that a problem and just do it in a empty bedroom in my house. as it would be more ideal then keeping dragging my stuff around?????? also i dont earn anything yet as just practising on family and friends until i get better but thought i should get insurance for this. Do i need to declare to inland revenue yet or just when i start charging and making business cards etc??? please advise?!

also interested in this q.

hi
id say if your not charging then no you don't have to inform in.rev until you make money,,, thats what they want lol
you'll need insurance tho hun
i went from mobile to home salon when i got pregnant and i cant beleive how easy it is,, after years of dragging my stuff round in crap weather its ace! x

Business Link have lots of help about what you need to do if you start a business of any kind, with special sections on working from your home.

Off the top of my head....your household insurance would be affected if you don't have a working at home clause to it.

Also you would need to discuss with the council a change of use.

I think business rates would be applicable if the room was for sole use as a therapy room.

lawfully you have to tell the inland revenue about your business as soon as you start and within 3 months of your start date (i think) if your not making money then you wont pay any tax but you will still have to do books to prove this.

i phoned up the tax people when i was practising because i didn't want to get in trouble, i was honest and said some treatments i charge for (product cost only - no driving costs were included, so literally just product costs) and some i'm doing for free do i need to register anything with anyone? she went and spoke to somebody else and came back and said if you are not running a business as in trying to gain clients then you don't have to register but you can do if you want to which is what i'd advise so that you have records up to date etc. she said i wouldn't pay anything anyway especially if i was loosing money which i could well be doing by just charging practise prices. i'd ask yourself though you know because reading some of the threads on sg in the past it sounds as if the tax advisor people just make stuff up as they go along :\

as for working at home i talked to business link who put me in contact with a local advisor about working from home. he said to advertise as mobile but see clients at home and just keep it to myself as there's nothing wrong with doing friends and family from home. i think he was getting at i wouldn't be having like 4 cars at a time parked outside my house kwim?

when i spoke to enviro health for advice they said that i'd need a sink in the room, a 'sterile' (their actual word!) environment, 'purpose built' bed and ventilation for spray tans (no mention of an extractor) as a minimum and asked me did i know what about a website called 'habia'. they also said home salons aren't what happens and nobody in my area has one i said i know of atleast one and they said i could pass their name on and report them!! they said there was no point in giving me any more advice as they were sure i wouldn't get permission from the council to run that kind of business from home anyway. when i spoke to the council they were just as helpful with 'it's a case by case basis' when i asked 'can you give me any examples of what others have had to do in the past?' 'we wouldn't know that' so i hope you have more luck than i do! lol

you need to speak to your landlord/mortgage company aswell as the house insurance company and your local council too.
x

i phoned up the tax people when i was practising because i didn't want to get in trouble, i was honest and said some treatments i charge for (product cost only - no driving costs were included, so literally just product costs) and some i'm doing for free do i need to register anything with anyone? she went and spoke to somebody else and came back and said if you are not running a business as in trying to gain clients then you don't have to register but you can do if you want to which is what i'd advise so that you have records up to date etc. she said i wouldn't pay anything anyway especially if i was loosing money which i could well be doing by just charging practise prices. i'd ask yourself though you know because reading some of the threads on sg in the past it sounds as if the tax advisor people just make stuff up as they go along :\

as for working at home i talked to business link who put me in contact with a local advisor about working from home. he said to advertise as mobile but see clients at home and just keep it to myself as there's nothing wrong with doing friends and family from home. i think he was getting at i wouldn't be having like 4 cars at a time parked outside my house kwim?

when i spoke to enviro health for advice they said that i'd need a sink in the room, a 'sterile' (their actual word!) environment, 'purpose built' bed and ventilation for spray tans (no mention of an extractor) as a minimum and asked me did i know what about a website called 'habia'. they also said home salons aren't what happens and nobody in my area has one i said i know of atleast one and they said i could pass their name on and report them!! they said there was no point in giving me any more advice as they were sure i wouldn't get permission from the council to run that kind of business from home anyway. when i spoke to the council they were just as helpful with 'it's a case by case basis' when i asked 'can you give me any examples of what others have had to do in the past?' 'we wouldn't know that' so i hope you have more luck than i do! lol

you need to speak to your landlord/mortgage company aswell as the house insurance company and your local council too.
x

I too am really tempted to work from home rather than mobile as I seem to spend so much time travelling when I could be seeing other clients. I must admit I am tempted to do as this advisor said and just ask my clients to come to my house but what if I get caught?. It does seem sometimes that buraeucrats are out to stop people like us making an honest living:confused:

Hi there,

I work in finance as well as nail tech and i asked an accountant friend this very question. If your not making money and have only just started you've a little breathing space before you have to register, thought this doesn't make sense. As from the date your business started you can claim tax relief against anything you buy for your business ie.. towels, products, tissues, mobile phone anything you can think of. You can also claim a 'reasonable' amount for running the business from home. I'm claiming £100 a month as this covers arranging appointments, managing kit, washing uniforms etc...Plus you can also claim 45p a mile for the vehicle cost of shopping for kit. win win

The descision is yours. Hope I may have helped a little.

Definately inform inland Rev within the first 3 months or you could be fined. Also what ever products you are using are costing you so if you need to account for this.
Always better to cover your back!

Thanks everyone very informative and some top tips there fab thank you spoke to inland rev and have to fill out a form online. Cheers xx

I'm kinda coming in at the end of this thread but thought this might help! I went on a fab course last week which was run by HMRC, it was totally free, I think if you look online you can register and they will send you a date. It was all you need to know about starting up a business/becoming self employed. Answered all the basic questions, was very imformative. Something I didn't realise is that you must register as a business with HMRC when you start advertising, thats when they see you as having started, nothing to do with earnings.
Anyway I will stop waffling now! Just check it out, I def reccomend it! HTH :hug: Lyns x

thats great thanks i am on inland rev now confused lol x

Latest posts

Back