Money In The Bank

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystals

Reaction score
Hi all, my daughter has opened a new bank account. now no one has her bank number as she gets payed by cheque.
so last week when she went to her bank there was £600 in her account that shouldnt have been there. she reported this to them and they said they would sort it. its been over a week the money is still there.
how does she stand with this.

Hi all, my daughter has opened a new bank account. now no one has her bank number as she gets payed by cheque.
so last week when she went to her bank there was £600 in her account that shouldnt have been there. she reported this to them and they said they would sort it. its been over a week the money is still there.
how does she stand with this.

no idea - the best person to ask is the bank itself imo xx

If it was me, I think I would keep hassling the bank to sort it out. After all, it's not your daughter's money, and she may run into problems if she spends it and then the bank decide they want it back!

If it was me, I think I would keep hassling the bank to sort it out. After all, it's not your daughter's money, and she may run into problems if she spends it and then the bank decide they want it back!
Oh yes your quite right, she hasnt touched a penny of it. but the bank are not being helpfull attall.

No, I've heard of this happening before and the bank weren't bothered at all by it and took ages to sort it out. I bet the person whose money it really is, is hopping mad though!!

I am an ex - banking geek :D - If it is a cheque that has been payed in in error - I can tell you now it its obviously a keying error, i.e, the cashier has typed an account number in wrong when paying in the cheque, and when the customer has signed the deposit slip they have not checked that the account details are correct, and the cashier has also not checked the details when the account information has come up on the screen, they should chack that the account name matches the name on the cheque.

Now, a cheque can take upto 7 working days (sometimes longer depending on the bank) to clear, so the person that the cheque belongs to may have not even checked to see if it has cleared yet, as they would not be expecting it to.

Because it was a cheque, and not cash, the casheirs till would not have been wrong, i.e, not short of cash, or over in cash, therefore the mistake would not have been picked up on untill either - a) your daughter has seen the deposit, or b) the person that the cheque belongs to realises that it has not cleared within the time that it should have.

If it was a cash deposit that was paid in in error then you can guarantee there is another customer hopping mad at where their money has gone!! - in which case they should have twigged by now that your daughter has raised a concern as to what this money is doing in her account, worked out the error and they should have corrected it!

The best thing to do is to leave the money, as mentioned, they prob will want it back at some point! When they decide to correct the error! Also, go to the bank and ask for a printed statement of transactions, and ask if the deposit was a cheque or cash. Then demand to see someone that knows what they are doing, either the manager or cheif cashier to get it sorted! If you walk in, they are left with very little choice but to sort it out.

Make them look at till records for the day the money was deposited to see if any of the tills were wrong, its a very easy error to correct on any banks till.

Hope this helps, sorry to waffle on lol, I was a cheif cashier for 4 years and had to sort stuff out like this all the time - The reason I left?? Because they kept employing staff that just werent upto scratch!! :green:

Write out a cheque for the £600 payable to the bank and take it in and ask to speak to the Manager.

I am an ex - banking geek :D - If it is a cheque that has been payed in in error - I can tell you now it its obviously a keying error, i.e, the cashier has typed an account number in wrong when paying in the cheque, and when the customer has signed the deposit slip they have not checked that the account details are correct, and the cashier has also not checked the details when the account information has come up on the screen, they should chack that the account name matches the name on the cheque.

Now, a cheque can take upto 7 working days (sometimes longer depending on the bank) to clear, so the person that the cheque belongs to may have not even checked to see if it has cleared yet, as they would not be expecting it to.

Because it was a cheque, and not cash, the casheirs till would not have been wrong, i.e, not short of cash, or over in cash, therefore the mistake would not have been picked up on untill either - a) your daughter has seen the deposit, or b) the person that the cheque belongs to realises that it has not cleared within the time that it should have.

If it was a cash deposit that was paid in in error then you can guarantee there is another customer hopping mad at where their money has gone!! - in which case they should have twigged by now that your daughter has raised a concern as to what this money is doing in her account, worked out the error and they should have corrected it!

The best thing to do is to leave the money, as mentioned, they prob will want it back at some point! When they decide to correct the error! Also, go to the bank and ask for a printed statement of transactions, and ask if the deposit was a cheque or cash. Then demand to see someone that knows what they are doing, either the manager or cheif cashier to get it sorted! If you walk in, they are left with very little choice but to sort it out.

Make them look at till records for the day the money was deposited to see if any of the tills were wrong, its a very easy error to correct on any banks till.

Hope this helps, sorry to waffle on lol, I was a cheif cashier for 4 years and had to sort stuff out like this all the time - The reason I left?? Because they kept employing staff that just werent upto scratch!! :green:
Thankyou very much, you have been a great help.xx

Write out a cheque for the £600 payable to the bank and take it in and ask to speak to the Manager.

This would be an option if the bank were prepared to pay your cheque into a 'suspense account' - one of the Banks OWN accounts.

It is a way of getting rid of the money I suppose :lol:

Latest posts

Back