Monomer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enhanced-Barbie

Reaction score
Is it just me or does CND Retention+ leave your brush kinda sticky and gooey?

I find this whenever I use CND, and no matter how much I wipe the brush after use it always seems to have gooey bits stuck in it.

I never had this problem when using Young Nails, that seemed more liquidy and leaves me with a clean brush every time.

Do you mean the brush handle, or the bristles?

I used to get a sticky brush, but not any more since I learned how to use my brush in the right way. I use retention, and used to find that by tipping my brush up, monomer would seep out from the belly of the brush and run up the handle. This does make a sticky handle, especially on the CND brushes with the crystal type handle. Never tip your brush upwards, and never store it with the bristles facing upwards.
If you dont clean your brush bristles out propery after use you will end up with a sticky brush, which if left will harden and you will need a new brush. When you have finished your service, clean your brush in CLEAN monomer, dab the excess out on a lint free pad, get the "paddle" shape back in your brush by lightly wiping the belly and sides with a lint free pad, then store it in your box.

Sorry if I've gone over what you already know, but those are the most obvious ways I can think of that your brush might get sticky.

Do you mean the brush handle, or the bristles?

I used to get a sticky brush, but not any more since I learned how to use my brush in the right way. I use retention, and used to find that by tipping my brush up, monomer would seep out from the belly of the brush and run up the handle. This does make a sticky handle, especially on the CND brushes with the crystal type handle. Never tip your brush upwards, and never store it with the bristles facing upwards.
If you dont clean your brush bristles out propery after use you will end up with a sticky brush, which if left will harden and you will need a new brush. When you have finished your service, clean your brush in CLEAN monomer, dab the excess out on a lint free pad, get the "paddle" shape back in your brush by lightly wiping the belly and sides with a lint free pad, then store it in your box.

Sorry if I've gone over what you already know, but those are the most obvious ways I can think of that your brush might get sticky.

Thanks for that info, I am talking about the bristles of the brush. It just seems that by the end of the application the brush is all gooey, as is the remaining monomer, but when I use Young nails its nothing like this.

I do clean it out afterwards of course, but no matter what I've changed about how I do nails (mix ratios, application technique etc) I still seem to have the same problem. Also I find my class mates seem to have this problem too because when they borrow my brush I have to clean it out when they return it.

I use Retention + also.

Sometimes I find at the end of an enhancement service the monomer in the dappen dish gets a bit gloopy - and it's a bit pointless trying to clean the brush with that monomer - I use a small bit of fresh monomer to clean my brush, wipe the sides on the dappen dish and then wipe the brush on a lint free pad and if I'm feeling very efficient, I repeat this process for good measure! And my brush stays nice and sticky, gloop free!

Hope this helps! :)

I do clean it out afterwards of course, but no matter what I've changed about how I do nails (mix ratios, application technique etc) I still seem to have the same problem. Also I find my class mates seem to have this problem too because when they borrow my brush I have to clean it out when they return it.

I think you may have answered your own question there chick!

Stop loaning your brush out to people, your brush is a valuable peice of your kit and is for your use only, i would clean it up and store it away untill you next need it and then you and only you use it.
I think you will see an improvement in how your brush works for you. HTH

Just to add.....if your monomer is gloopy & sticky by the end of your service then what you are doing is transfering product into it off your brush.

This may be caused by working too wet or not wiping the brush on a lint free pad before you pick up the next bead.

Maybe there is another reason also that another geek can point out, ive never really had that problem so just saying the obvious.

The points pips has made are good ones.

Usually working too wet and not wiping your brush before going into your liquid causes you to rinse product into your dappen dish and your liquid can go gloopy (you can always tell if you are doing this when the beads get harder and harder to form on your brush)!

Different products work differently and you need to get used to that. Once you have got it down, you will not have the problem any longer. My liquid for instance never goes gloopy and I rarely have to clean my brush in fresh monomer liquid. It will come with more experience with the product. Worth the wait.

Thanks for the info guys,
I know the problem isnt that I lend my brush out, because I have 2 brushes which are exactly the same, and I only ever lend out 1 of them, the other one is my personal brush that only I use.
Also I do wipe my brush between applications, maybe I will get used to it though.

Just thought it was strange since I never get this problem with Young Nails products.

Latest posts

Back