Moral and Ethical Dilemma......What to do!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beauty Zoo

Reaction score
I need some good solid advice please!!!

ATM I rent a room in a gym. I am not busy although I do make enough to pay the rent (which is all inc.) and I pay for my stock with some extra money for myself, which isn't alot!!!!:irked:

OK now the dilema.....I have the chance to rent a small shop in the town where I live. I have had a look at it and it is ideal for me to do nails etc. The rent is less than I am paying at the moment, although there will be rates to go on top, but that is minimal. Although it is not in the high street it would get alot of passing 'potential' clients as there is a hairdressers at either end of the road. Great you may say My old boss has said to me that I should open in the town...'there is no-one good doing nails there, you will make a killing'

That's the problem.......there is someone doing nails and if I took on this shop they would be TWO doors away!!!!!! I know they only do gel nails and have not got the best reputation but who am I to judge another tech. I work to my own standards.

Morally and ethically I don't know if I could do this to another person......I would be totally p****d if it happened to me.

I also have another option of moving back to my own house in another town and starting up there, where there is NO exclusive nail salon.....only hairdressers with nail techs. But I have not really looked into that in great depth yet!!!!

Oh, choices, choices.....with all the other things going on in my life ATM maybe I should do nothing!!!!!!!!!!

Please help!!!!!:eek:

Nikki said:
I need some good solid advice please!!!

ATM I rent a room in a gym. I am not busy although I do make enough to pay the rent (which is all inc.) and I pay for my stock with some extra money for myself, which isn't alot!!!!:irked:

OK now the dilema.....I have the chance to rent a small shop in the town where I live. I have had a look at it and it is ideal for me to do nails etc. The rent is less than I am paying at the moment, although there will be rates to go on top, but that is minimal. Although it is not in the high street it would get alot of passing 'potential' clients as there is a hairdressers at either end of the road. Great you may say My old boss has said to me that I should open in the town...'there is no-one good doing nails there, you will make a killing'

That's the problem.......there is someone doing nails and if I took on this shop they would be TWO doors away!!!!!! I know they only do gel nails and have not got the best reputation but who am I to judge another tech. I work to my own standards.

Morally and ethically I don't know if I could do this to another person......I would be totally p****d if it happened to me.

I also have another option of moving back to my own house in another town and starting up there, where there is NO exclusive nail salon.....only hairdressers with nail techs. But I have not really looked into that in great depth yet!!!!

Oh, choices, choices.....with all the other things going on in my life ATM maybe I should do nothing!!!!!!!!!!

Please help!!!!!:eek:

I think that we all have to accept that there are a lot of nail techs out there.
Why not give it a go but work on other areas to begin with, acrylics, manis, pedis etc. (not read your profile so I'm not sure what you offer) Clients will come to you if they think you can do your job well.

sounds like a good deal. I suppose you have to ask yourself if you would be able to take the sort of abuse that Louise is suffering with her new salon and the tanning lady 2 doors down. Would they give permission for another nail salon so close to the existing one?

Aspirations said:
sounds like a good deal. I suppose you have to ask yourself if you would be able to take the sort of abuse that Louise is suffering with her new salon and the tanning lady 2 doors down. Would they give permission for another nail salon so close to the existing one?

Gotta admit that this was the first thing that came to mind. But hey... isn't competition good in a way? Maybe you could do this on a trial basis?

I have to say go for it Nikki.....if the nails produced down the road are not to your standard then you have nothing to worry about....there is nothing wrong with competition, in fact competition is what makes the world go round and makes others think about what they are doing...

If the rent is cheaper and you will have high street presence, what are you waiting for?

Oh and BTW local council's cannot deny planning permission on grounds of competition.

Thanks girls!!!!!

I have just done a search and 'ploughed' through all of Louise's posts on the dreaded 'tanning lady'!!!!!!!! What an absolute flippin brick to have got through it :eek:

The good thing with this shop is there is no lease....its just rented. The person 2 doors away is actually quite well known in the industry but has not got the best rep in town!!!

I also have details on another shop at the other end of town which has two rooms but it is a lease and the rent is more than double. Maybe I could do tanning there:evil: LOL!!!!!

I Would Go For It If That Is What You Really Wnat There Is Enough Work Out The For Us All

I think you should go for it Nikki. I know it is hard when you feel you will no doubt take business from the other nail bar which hasn't got a good reputation. If the other nail bar doesn't have a good reputation, they obviously have not honed their skills well enough or just don't have the clients' interests at heart and, therefore, don't really deserve success.

You have done so much training and spent a lot of money getting to the standard you are so that you are better than the rest. It is not your fault if other salons are no competition.

Go for it girl - this is what you have trained and worked hard for!:hug:

As with a few of the others Louise came to mind first with what she has had to endure. But she has stuck to her guns and is on the up. I would see first if you can get permission for another nail salon, also look back in your home area and do some research there. You sound as if you have made your mind up with the gym so it is time to move on.
There will always be people wanting to stick an ore in somewhere, but as others have aid advertise the services that the other tech doesnt offer.
Good luck and keep us posted

go for it, you've no freiends in business! would she think of you - probably not!

It's business. Not personal.
There is nothing immoral or unethical about opening a shop a couple of doors away. Morality and ethics has nothing to do with it.
Does McDonalds worry if there's a Wendy's across the street?
You can be certain, if roles were reversed, they wouldn't worry about morals or ethics or your business.

Open your shop and let the best man/woman win.
Your work will speak for itself, as will your 'way' with people.

The only time you should worry about a neighboring business is if you think it will limit your possibilities. Otherwise, go for it.

Good luck!

exactly and another part of business is ro get ahead you always have to be improving, if she has let things slack or isnt good enough then thats her prob, she had the oportunity and she's let it pass her by. if you don't do it, someone else will! good luck chicky, and let us know how it goes!

If its what you want then go for it, dont worry about the other nail tech 2 doors down- there is nothing you can do about it- if they are good enough then there clients will stay loyal and they will have nothing to worry about!

In Peterborough there is literally 3 salons on each street, even the little village my fiance lives in has 2 in! I think this industry is getting a lot more popular so you can't help being near other salons next door.

Where I live there are 3 salons in a row!

There's enough business for everyone hun. Besides you don't know what her itentions are for the future, she may be about to hang up her brush and have children for example, so she may not be there in the future anyway.

When I rented space an NSS opened up about a dozen doors away. It didn't bother me at all, in fact I thought, good then they will attract more nail clients down my end of town and HELP me, not hinder me. They will only see you as a threat if they are insecure in their own ability. Good luck buddy xxx

Latest posts

Back