MRI scan, your experiences?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairflair'xo

Reaction score
Hey geeks, wondering if any of you have had an MRI scan done? After almost a year of daily headaches and several failed treatment attempts from my doctor, I have finally been referred to a neurologist to have an MRI scan done, I'm not scared but a little apprehensive of exactly what will happen, I've read up about it on the nhs website but I'd really like some real stories of experiences if you guys wouldn't mind sharing :) Tia xxx

I found it to be grand! You go into the machine and lie there with some random noises flyin around u. Sometimes they give you earphones to listen to music etc to distract you from the noises. I didn't find it bad at all

I found it to be grand! You go into the machine and lie there with some random noises flyin around u. Sometimes they give you earphones to listen to music etc to distract you from the noises. I didn't find it bad at all

My doctor mentioned the earphones lol, thankyou :) xx

Don't worry It was fine when I had mine, they do make some strange noises but the earphones with music help. When I went they even asked if I had my own cd that I wanted to listen too.
Tho noise didn't bother me at all and I could quite easily have fallen asleep, but I can sleep through anything! lol

They aren't too bad, I've had a couple before and one being on my head too as I suffered with headaches, they give you something to hold which is a panic button and also blankets to keep you warm. Main thing to concentrate on is to keep still, that way you will be out of there in no time!

Good luck!xx

I've had one done for my heart so probably a bit different.

I didn't get headphones as I had to listen to them telling me when to breath in and out. I'm not claustrophobic at all but I very nearly pushed my panic button. For the first few minutes, I think being confined with straps across me and in the machine was a bit overwhelming. After those first few minutes I could have fallen asleep if they didn't keep talking to me.

Sorry my story isn't as nice! Just thought id say from another perspective where it all turned out ok!

I had one on my head too which I was completely panicking about but they really aren't that bad, I think it's just the fear of the unknown sometimes.

It's just making sure you keep really still is the hard part so they can get readings, and there are loud noises but just because you're in a confined space it seems worse. I didn't have headphones but I just made sure I didn't look around what I was in, instead just tried to stare above me and sort of zone out of the situation and I was fine.

Hope it all goes well and we've all put your mind at rest a little xx

I've had this scan a couple of times.

The best advice I can give is to keep your eyes closed, and get them to turn the volume up to a decent level on the headphones!

Hope that helps and good luck :hug:

My friend had one, shes badly claustrophobic and several attempts were unsuccessful. In the end they managed to rig up a mirror at such an angle that she could see out the end of the tunnel while she was in there and she found this helped massively and was able to complete the scan in this way.

Not sure if you're claustrophobic yourself, but just thought this might be of help to someone.

Good luck with yours xx

My daughter had one a couple of years back she's 8 .
She had to go for mri as she was having problems with fluid round her hip joint !
She was fine she had the radio on as they give you headphones me on the other hand sat at the end of the machine with just ear protectors so radio for me :(
She also had a ct scan few years ago as she was convulsing a lot and that was ok as well
That child !!! Lol
You'll be fine don't worry :)

Don't know if this is standard but when I last had one I was given a button to hold so if I felt anxious I could press it and they would pull me back out again. I didn't need it, like others have said you close your eyes and listen to music and you get distracted. For some people though it might be a good reassurance. :)

Nothing happens, you lay down & chill out! :)

they are so LOUD! I didn't have any music just a button if I wanted to came out mine lasted 15 minutes! you cant move or you have to start over again. I had such a headache after but apart from that its not the worst test to have done

I had an MRI a few months ago, I think I cried through the whole thing. It's not painful or horrific but I am very thin and still felt like it was a snug fit going into that tunnel. If u are claustrophobic it's probably best to close your eyes, keep your breathing even and calm. Also let the technician know you are anxious in confined spaces, and they really mean it when they say "no metal jewellery, bobbles, hair pins etc" I highly doubt anyone ignores that rule anyway.

It's like being put in a switched off washing machine to be honest, you do hear rumbling or clunking sounds and I honestly thought I could feel my arm hairs tingling/standing on end. The experience would probably have been loads better if I wasn't so ill in the first place. I was in agony due to gall stones causing pancreatitis so lying flat on my back really really hurt. They propped my head n legs in a nice position tho and had I not been in pain it would have been incredibly comfortable. They did play music into earphones to drown out the sound which helps a bit. Plus they gave me instruction to hold my breath, take a big deep breath and hold it for an eternity, but for headaches they may not need you to do that.
They do make you feel very comfy and if u need to stop at anytime, you have a hand held device u squeeze on and they stop immediately and get you out. The person operating the machine will ask you if you are ok at regular intervals and offer you reassurance. Good luck, I really hope you get some answers. X

I had an MRI scan on my head as I kept experiencing headaches (turned out to have a narrow left sinus or something lol) but I'm claustrophobic. For the first few mins I did feel myself start to panic but I calmed myself down and it was fine. I just got a bit bored as it felt like I was in there for ages. It is loud but they gave me earplugs to wear. Xxx

Latest posts

Back