My Argument For The E-file!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchy

Reaction score
I’ve thought long and hard about my recent disagreement with regards to using an e-file and heres the thing…..sit back this may take a while

I’ve tried to put myself in the shoes of a creative trained nail tech and the way they service clients.

The way I understand it is that some training courses involve applying tips hence they’re procedure will be Full Set, Tidy Up, Removal….. Full Set, Tidy Up, Removal…… Full Set, Tidy Up, Removal. Am I right??

If this is the case then I can see why the e-file is made redundant and only used for under nail cleaning!

The way I work is a little different….Full Set, Infill/Backfill. Infill/Backfill, Infill/Backfill, Infill/Backfill, Infill/Backfill and only ever applying L&P to the new nail growth. Only ever applying a Full Set the once.

I can see that glueing on a tip and overlaying will last only around 2/3 weeks, thereafter that glue will inevitably crystallize and cannot withstand the everyday wear and tear that a sculptured nail does so easily.
Removing a grown out tip and applying a brand new full set would be the only option.

Maintenance work (Infill/Backfills) is around 90% of my client base.

This is where the e-file becomes such a vital part of my everyday customer servicing….

(I quite agree that using an e-file does not speed up the initial Full Set. That is down to products and application.) It’s the maintenance work where the e-file is so valuable!

My In fills/Backfills comprise of thinning out the nail with a “carbide bit” and etching the natural nail at the cuticle area with a hand file.
(Carbide bits slice/chip, not file, thus creating larger particles that are too heavy to become airbourne or hinder the nail tech's breathing space)
A “3wk backfill bit” would be used to channel out the new smile line and remove product from the free edge.

I would then apply white to free edge and sharpen up smile line with my brush before applying a pink overlay.

Finish with the e-file using a “carbide finishing bit” and buff to shine.

Time taken approximately 1 hour.(Whether it’s a full set or infill/backfill all appointments are booked on the hour, every hour)

We all work so differently and that is down to our chosen edcuators / suppliers.
We should accept that everyone works in a way that suits them and really should not lecture and rule on just "this way is the only, holy way"
How many tradesmen do you know that work in the same way, the same proceedure, the same systematic service?
Yes, absolutely, there should be standards, but those standards should apply to the important topics such as health and safety.
I have never been threatened by an NSS and the reason I believe is because of the following….

I agree that NSS has been associated with MMA and e-files, but I also believe their biggest downfall is in their customer service.

MMA sticks like s…! and disagree with me if you wish, but a new customer is more impressed by a nail that stays on than one that doesn’t. All that customer knows is that her nails don’t fall off, like tips do, because of the glue.

All she knows is that a removal / full set aren’t required every 2nd appointment. Unlike tips do, because of the glue. (Im no sculpture snob either, as I do occasionally use tips)

Sculptured l&p requires only maintenance work – which is the way most NSS / Vietnamese salons work – but this doesn’t mean to say that sculpture l&p salons use MMA products for their nails to stay. This does not mean that salons / nail techs using the e-file are NSS!

I AM NEITHER

A Vietnamese salon opened sometime ago around the corner. yes, at first I felt threatened, but it did not affect me in the slightest. Unfortunately the two nail techs working in the sun bed place doing only tip and overlay weren’t around for much longer.

Ok, that's it, thanx for reading and reply if you wish

Hi Frenchy, you are wrong, wrong, wrong, about the way creative train their techs. no body is saying that e files are a bad thing, Im not, just that some like them and some dont. The tip and overlay is used by some and some sculpt. When tip and overlay is used a natural tip is used and white acrylic on top to create smile line, therefore when maintanence is due, the smile line is replaced and nail re-balanced,...... the nail is not removed every other time!!!! Hope this cleared it up for you. x

Hi Frenchy

I'm a Creative trained tech and I disagree with

Full Set, Tidy Up, Removal….. Full Set, Tidy Up, Removal…… Full Set, Tidy Up, Removal. Am I right?

There should never been a need to remove a set unless there are problems with it - even then probably only the occaisional nail, never the whole set.

I'd have no clients left if I asked them to have a new set every 3rd appointment, quite apart from the fact that it's pointless removing perfectly good enhancements for no reason.

Creative does not yellow or age, yes the tips grow down the length but if applied correctly in the first place there is no ridge or product seepage so no reason to remove them. They also don't break unless they are put under stress.

There is no need for a drill if the enhancements are thin as the buffing to rebalance only takes a few minutes by hand anyway.

I've never used a drill, can't really see a need for me to, so can't comment. Others use the safely and good on them. Those who use them irresponsibly are a different matter :twisted:

Trin

when i use tips on myself i dont have to remove them every two weeks???? i have the same set on all the time just rebalanced and the white replaced, they dont fall to bits after two to three weeks?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh and I dont use Mr Ed.... I use adhesive! :) xx

p.s and i dont use creative!!!! if you are on about creative which you seem to have a problem with, i dont use an e file thats purely because i havent been trained to use one, i know other people do and thats fine if its in trained hands, but we hear so many stories of people having their nails filed right through because the file is working to its rpm, and maybe 2 seconds too late its through the overlay and into natural nail

lol sherrie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frenchy said:
I’ve tried to put myself in the shoes of a creative trained nail tech and the way they service clients.

The way I understand it is that some training courses involve applying tips hence they’re procedure will be Full Set, Tidy Up, Removal….. Full Set, Tidy Up, Removal…… Full Set, Tidy Up, Removal. Am I right??

As a CND tech I don't - 95% of my business is Rebalances, CND don't go for the remove, full set scenario. Same as you :)

frenchy said:
(I quite agree that using an e-file does not speed up the initial Full Set. That is down to products and application.) It’s the maintenance work where the e-file is so valuable!

A number of techs I know who use e-files are still only as fast as me for re-balance.

frenchy said:
My In fills/Backfills comprise of thinning out the nail with a “carbide bit” and etching the natural nail at the cuticle area with a hand file.
(Carbide bits slice/chip, not file, thus creating larger particles that are too heavy to become airbourne or hinder the nail tech's breathing space)
You have mentioned this a number of times about larger particles. All the evidence I have seen on e-file particles has shown (from magnified images and research) that they are as small as 1 micron (100th the diameter of a hair) and with a high speed bit, this can go down to 300th the diameter of a hair and become invisible to naked eye.

frenchy said:
We all work so differently and that is down to our chosen edcuators / suppliers.
We should accept that everyone works in a way that suits them and really should not lecture and rule on just "this way is the only, holy way"
How many tradesmen do you know that work in the same way, the same proceedure, the same systematic service?
Yes, absolutely, there should be standards, but those standards should apply to the important topics such as health and safety.

I totally agree, each to their own technique - as long as it is safe and there is a sound knowledge to the cause and effects. This is where those who do research and develop safer techniques step in and make suggestions. They're not saying change, they simply ask have you considered the new possibilities. Don't forget - man once thought drilling holes in the skull would release demons from sick people...
Using an e-file does not make you an NSS - The only thing IMHO that does, is when a business operates without the morals to consider the health and safelty of their clients, poor sanitation, poor consultation and unsafe work practises combined.

Cath.p. said:
Hi Frenchy, you are wrong, wrong, wrong,
When tip and overlay is used a natural tip is used and white acrylic on top to create smile line, therefore when maintanence is due, the smile line is replaced and nail re-balanced,...... the nail is not removed every other time!!!! Hope this cleared it up for you. x

Thanks for that Cath, taken on board

nailsbynikki said:
if you are on about creative which you seem to have a problem with,

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH CREATIVE PRODUCTS!!!!!
HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO SAY THIS.

Sorry Nikki, you seem to have got the brunt of this, but my thread is referring to why I use an e-file, and i can only compare my ways to those i know who have trained with creative and those i do know have all been tip/overlay.

Hi guys , right before this goes any further I am closing this thread, before it goes the same route as the other one.....
Frenchy has made her point and fair play to her....... Envy and all the other posters have given a great reply and I really think that this covers this threads pros and cons of E-files......... there are hundreds of E-file post and they all end in the same , you either love them or you don't...... I respect everybody's view on why they love them or why they don't..... but it mostly ends up in can't agree to dissagree situation......

So no disrespect to any person and no offence is ment, but I think its time to move on.....
Right Voddy's and Orange all round then xxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back