My first acrylic problem, advice much appreciated :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolla

Reaction score
Hi all

Ok have done lots and lots of L&P sets now but am still 'practising'. Anyway, been doing my auntie's nails and did her 1st backfil on wednesday...and today she sends me this pic - the whites have started to go patchy pale brown (on all of them) and I have no idea what it is. Just over 4 days after the backfill. Could it be bacteria trapped between the layers of old and new acrylic? Or something else? :rolleyes:

She's not been anywhere near hair dye or anything on her bare hands that could stain. She doesn't smoke.

I know the only solution is to soak off and to start again but I need to do some troubleshooting to stop this happening again :(

IMAG0088.jpg

Hi Lolla

I might be wrong, but this staining looks like it could be down to your brush becoming contaminated.

If you get a clean piece of paper towel and press the bristles of your brush. The paper towel will appear yellow/brown if it is contaminated.

HTH

Sassy

That's an interesting suggestion Sassy, thank you, I shall check my brush now and see. I always clean my brush though...maybe not well enough :p

I had this problem while I was training, it turned out the topcoat I used to shine them up reacted with the sun and went yellow (most noticeable on the white tips). Try buffing some of it off and see if it disappears? Or use acetone free nail polish remover. Good luck :) xx

Last edited:
I too would have thought it was the polish.

Ask her to remove the clear polish and see if it is still there, if it is then I would have a look at your brush, maybe your due a new one?

Hope this helps hunni xx

Again some interesting ideas - I used Lumos top coat, it's the first time I've used it on acrylics and coinsidently the first time this has happened. But Lumos is meant to be good!?

I've had my brush from NSI since March last year, aren't they meant te last longer?

I'll do all things suggested and let you know, thanks so much all xx

If it were your brush that was contaminated, you would see the discoloration straight away.
I had had this 'staining' when I use Shellac topcoat over acrylics. And it takes a couple of days to rear its head.
x

If it were your brush that was contaminated, you would see the discoloration straight away.
I had had this 'staining' when I use Shellac topcoat over acrylics. And it takes a couple of days to rear its head.
x

Weird. I used Glaze n Go on the initial full set and they were fine. As said above, used Lumos for the backfill this time. xx

Is it on ALL the nails?

If it is, then yes it could be your brush if it's only the nails in the pic, then no it more than likely is not your brush cause if it was your brush, then it should be on all nails.

I had this too, and it was the top coat I'd used. Easy to find out, like someone has already said, try buffing it off and you'll see whether it goes. It was very strange for me too, as I'd been using this top coat for ages with no problems and all of a sudden it starting yellowing!

Did you get any primer on the product before you overlaid it ? This can cause staining/yellowing.

Yes it's on all the nails.

I tried the brush but there is no staining on the paper towel but then again it didn't develop for 4 days.

I am 100% positive that I didn't get primer on the acrylic... Coz I actually forgot to use it :s That can't be what the staining is down to, can it Geeg? o_O

She's away at a business thing this week so I can't get to her before the weekend but will try buffing it off then.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, everyone :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

does she use a lot of bleach or sprays ,

hi, it defo looks like the top coat to me, alot of the top coats seem to go yellow/brown on acrylic, try sticking with the glaze and go or the top coat of the brand yo uare using?

Latest posts

Back