My hardest nail ever...please help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Effect

Reaction score
Hi there fellow geeks,
Today was one of my busiest days which was very nice as I need to get some work in on my timing :) however it was also one of my most trying!!! I had these two sisters come in both 30 and had the nicest nails Ive seen so far in the salon. After doing sister A's nails i start on sister B's. I'm doing the usual prep by checking the hands and nails all fine until I get to her second pinky!

(http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd26/urbandreama/DSC00259.jpg)

She had an accident as a child when a double glazing salesman was around her house. Apparently she tripped and caught her hand in the sample window he had with him slicing her finger. It was the only one like it. Looking at it its as if the accident damaged the matrix so badly, it's like it the same matrix but two different brains working it.
Now secretly freaking out because apart form this I couldn't find any other contra-indications not to continue, I asked her if it was painful etc but nope it is perfectly fine. I couldn't think at the time of how or where to begin with placing a tip on this and decided to sculpt (after advising the client she would have to be very carefully with this nail)
I applied my product to the larger nail making sure the side walls were in line and left the smallest part, explaining (and giving her a file) to keep it trimmed back. But now I'm home I'm worrying if I've don't the right thing by leaving that part exposed?? Would it of been better to explain to the client that it would be better to suffer having a "huge" nail on one hand?
I would love to hear Gigi's views on this? or anyone else that has had a client with a long term injury like this?

I would have liked to have seen an after picture, but if I'm honest, I would have applied a tip and covered the whole nail. I think this would have given a more attractive finish, and would have been beter for the client. The smaller bit of nail is likely to catch. :hug:

It's always a 'lucky' circumstance when a client has injured a pinky or a thumb because they are the nails that are least visible to others on the hands!

I agree with Stoney that I would have encased the split portion of the nail under the overlay for a more pleasing effect and also for comfort as well as safety.

Next time you see the client, tell her you have been thinking about her (or call her) and suggest that you have maybe a better solution and do the nail again.

I would trim off all excess growth on the small bit of nail and file as smooth as possible and then sculpt or tip, which ever you'd rather do and think would give the best result.

Well done for giving it a go! It's all trial and error with these things and another bit of experience to add to your list. :hug:

Thank you to you both, you put my mind at ease a little. I agree I would feel better if the little part was covered and have called her and agreed to re-do this saturday as Im not happy lol :) I will post a pic of my finished nails after.
And to think I was panicing that it would of been better if I hadnt of done anything lol

Thank you to you both, you put my mind at ease a little. I agree I would feel better if the little part was covered and have called her and agreed to re-do this saturday as Im not happy lol :) I will post a pic of my finished nails after.
And to think I was panicing that it would of been better if I hadnt of done anything lol

I'm sure your client will appreciate that you took the time to think this through a little further and made the offer ... good for you and good for her.

Just to update on this post for all those who wanted to see the nail. I saw my client on Saturday and re-done as suggested :) She walked away feeling extremely happy for the extra service and I got peace of mind at last :green: Ill link them here and then put into my albums later.

(Oh, I forgot to take the picture before I clipped her white tip off the first time so you will have to use you imagination for that part)

Before and after first service:
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd26/urbandreama/firstattempt.jpg

Final make over:
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd26/urbandreama/secondgocovered.jpg

p.s Sorry for the so called "water marks" I went a bit slap happy.

You know, she could probably go and have that part of the matrix killed so that it doesn't grow at all anymore. It's a small operation under a local anesthetic and she could have 'normal' looking nail again.

Well done for trying to sort her out. You made it look even and regular and I'm sure she will prefer it !

I think you did a brilliant job. She must be v pleased.

I had a similar thing with a client a few years ago. She'd actually lost a finger and had one that wasn't quite as bad as your client's but was v bumpy. She was all embarrassed when she first came to me and I asked if she wanted a discount for only having 9 nails. That broke the ice and she laughed her head off and became a loyal client. I use Bio Sculpture, so I used sculpting gel to even it out and it looked really great. So nice when you can make someone feel much better about themselves.

I think you did a lovely job. My middle finger on right hand was cut off when I was about 5, and was reattached but the nail grows very weird now and always have funny looks when Ive been to have my nails done. It grows as one nail but it grows out to an angle and is now wider then my thumb nail.

Latest posts

Back