NAIL ART QUESTIONS for Brisa Lite Removable Gels answered

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SillyBilly

Reaction score
I don't have any Shellac. If I wanted to add colour to my BL smoothing I understand that I can mix it with additives (max 30%)

Would I do:

Base
Smoothing mixed with additives/glitter as my one and only coat of gel

Or

Base
Smoothing
Smoothing mixed with additives/glitter

I know I'm being dumb but just need my thoughts clarifying please.

I don't have any Shellac. If I wanted to add colour to my BL smoothing I understand that I can mix it with additives (max 30%)
Would I do:
Base
Smoothing mixed with additives/glitter as my one and only coat of gel
Or
Base
Smoothing
Smoothing mixed with additives/glitter
I know I'm being dumb but just need my thoughts clarifying please.

You aren't being dumb .. it's early days and we all want to get it right.
But what is right?
The answer is you could do it either way.
It is not a punishable offence to use two coats of the smoothing gel.
Why not try one hand of each method and see which looks the nicest or if you think there is any difference in wear and tear?
:Love:

You aren't being dumb .. it's early days and we all want to get it right.
But what is right?
The answer is you could do it either way.
It is not a punishable offence to use two coats of the smoothing gel.
Why not try one hand of each method and see which looks the nicest or if you think there is any difference in wear and tear?
:Love:

Mixing smoothing gel with additives is a great way to take your service a step further. As you can create the shades that are not available in the CND Shellac range.

Keep your additives at 30% ratio. Then apply brisa lite base coat, follow with a thin layer of smoothing gel in clear. Then apply two thin layers of customized smoothing gel colour and finish with brisa lite top coat.

The only thing I would highlight is that removal will take slightly longer than 15 min, I have discovered this at showcase at the fingertips center this weekend. Smoothing gel is tougher than Shellac and removal works differently to CND Shellac. It takes approx 20 min to remove completely, based on my experience with it.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Mixing smoothing gel with additives is a great way to take your service a step further. As you can create the shades that are not available in the CND Shellac range.

Keep your additives at 30% ratio. Then apply brisa lite base coat, follow with a thin layer of smoothing gel in clear. Then apply two thin layers of customized smoothing gel colour and finish with brisa lite top coat.

The only thing I would highlight is that removal will take slightly longer than 15 min, I have discovered this at showcase at the fingertips center this weekend. Smoothing gel is tougher than Shellac and removal works differently to CND Shellac. It takes approx 20 min to remove completely, based on my experience with it.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

This is great and helps with the question I asked as doing this method could cut down the number of coats on the nail. I don't know how to measure how much to mix in though so best book in on some training asap.

So we can mix glitter into BL as well or just additives?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

You still do PEP and no need to remove shine to apply the tip.

I would buff the shine of the tip and per blend it before applying to the nail, to avoid buffing once its applied.:wink2:

This is great and helps with the question I asked as doing this method could cut down the number of coats on the nail. I don't know how to measure how much to mix in though so best book in on some training asap.

So we can mix glitter into BL as well or just additives?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

It's best to pre mix in the white non see through pot, so you have some in case a client needs a repair. Aromatherapy shops have 3 ml pots you can use. 3 ml would usually last around 2 clients, based on my experience.

You sure can mix glitter with smoothing gel at 30% ratio. I personally prefer burnishing it over a coat of shellac, to me it looks thinner and much easier to do. But everyone has their own preference.

If you want to do a glittery tip it will look slimmer if glitter is applied into a top film of the cured shellac. Hence, easier to remove.:wink2:

As the title implies, I would like to invite all your Nail ARt questions about the amazing BRISA Lite removable gel system of gels to be posted here.

NOTICE I say ... NAIL ART QUESTIONS

I do not want one single post in this thread about orders !! Not one single post about classes!! Not one single post about how fantastic the service is at S2 !! and please click on the heart to say thank you if you wish OR send your thanks in a private message to the person you are thanking as per site rules. Please do not post thank you messages in the forum.

The TECHNICAL questions thread is going great guns and I think it would be good to have a separate thread for nail art as many do not do it. So I have enlisted the help of two of the best CND Education Ambassador Nail Artists to help with all the answers to your questions and you all know the beautiful work done by Nataliya and Jenni (Busy Bee) is exceptional. :Love:

You are welcome to post or even repeat all of the Nail Art questions here in this thread so we have a nice organised thread of good information for all.

Last edited:
Hi Geeg

Hope you are well. My question is this Im waiting to book onto Brisa Lite sculpting class. I absolutely love the Brisa Swirl nails on the cnd site. Would there be any way too do these with Brisa Lite as obviously they use white paint in the bottle to help with the mix on the old Brisa which looks very runny and the new Brisa Lite only has the white in the pot which appears to be much thicker. Thank you. Karen x

Hi Geeg

Hope you are well. My question is this Im waiting to book onto Brisa Lite sculpting class. I absolutely love the Brisa Swirl nails on the cnd site. Would there be any way too do these with Brisa Lite as obviously they use white paint in the bottle to help with the mix on the old Brisa which looks very runny and the new Brisa Lite only has the white in the pot which appears to be much thicker. Thank you. Karen x

Actually yes you can, have just worked this out after a query from a student on Saturday, instead of using white paint on Brisa which is what we normally use for Brisa swirls use shellac Cream puff, and then the top coat with Brisa lite instead of brisa gloss, to create the colour mixes following the recipe for the different colour mixes. We're the recipe calls for clear builder use Brisa smoothing.
Build your nail in clear Brisa lite sculpting, finish file.
Then apply you blue base, and the the other colours, swirl and apply your Brisa lite top coat to seal in the design.
Don't forget never mix more than 30% additives to gel.
Jen xx

I'm embarrassed to have to ask this because it seems like a stupid question. Are you supposed to guess what 30 percent is when using additives or is there a way to measure?

I would like to know the best way to fix gems into Brisa Lite, please?

Just apply them into the wet top coat and cure Hun. Xxxx

I'm embarrassed to have to ask this because it seems like a stupid question. Are you supposed to guess what 30 percent is when using additives or is there a way to measure?
Remember it is 30% or LESS. .. Just not more. I find it pretty easy to gauge a third of the amount of gel that I have put on the tile. But perhaps jenni can explain how she does it.

When I do my additive mix I try to imagine in tens, so 10 scoops of l&p,Brisa or Brisa lite, no more than 3 of the same size scoops of additives.
I will mix up a batch in a empty old Brisa pot, if I add 10 drops of Brisa lite top coat I will not put in more than 3 tiny scoops of additives, I use my curette to measure out my additives, or the corner of a spatula depending on the amount I am mixing up, and the depth of colour I am looking to achieve.
Hope this helps
Jen xx

Hi Geeg

You can mix smoothing gel with additives absolutely. For added opacity add a tiny amount of brisa lite white sculpting gel. Don't worry about it being thicker than brisa white paint, as you only need a tiny amount it wont be any thicker when mixed with smoothing gel. alternatively you can create your colours by adding titanium pearl additive into your mix. this creates beautiful shimmery shades.
Remember to always apply a thin layer of clear before applying any colour layers.:wink2:

Hi
Yet another question,sorry.

Can we burnish glitter over cured BL Smoothing then apply BL top coat? I know you said over Shellac in the technical thread but I don't have Shellac.

I'm just testing BL (to the extreme probably for my own research at the moment) and want to explore every possibility but do it correctly and safely.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice :love:

When I do my additive mix I try to imagine in tens, so 10 scoops of l&p,Brisa or Brisa lite, no more than 3 of the same size scoops of additives.
I will mix up a batch in a empty old Brisa pot, if I add 10 drops of Brisa lite top coat I will not put in more than 3 tiny scoops of additives, I use my curette to measure out my additives, or the corner of a spatula depending on the amount I am mixing up, and the depth of colour I am looking to achieve.
Hope this helps
Jen xx

A quarter of the amount is 25%, this works best for me with gel. :wink2:

Hi
Yet another question,sorry.

Can we burnish glitter over cured BL Smoothing then apply BL top coat? I know you said over Shellac in the technical thread but I don't have Shellac.

I'm just testing BL (to the extreme probably for my own research at the moment) and want to explore every possibility but do it correctly and safely.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice :love:

There is no reason why you can't, however the top film of brisa lite is not as sticky as top film of shellac, so it may not lay evenly. I have tried it and I didn't like the finish.

Try placing it very gently, almost pressing the glitter on with your brush onto the cured layer of smoothing gel, then flash cure it for 10 sec, the glitter will stick to the top film. Then remove any residue using fan brush and apply your top coat. You may need to do this twice for a smooth finish. But if you pressed the glitter well and removed any residue you should only need to do it once. :wink2:

how do foils work with Brisa Lite? I know I couldn't do it well with the sticky layer on regular Brisa. Only got it to work well on Shellac.

They will be the same as with normal Brisa, the inhibition layer is too wet for foils to stick too, apply a clearly pink shellac layer if you want to see the Brisa lite colour under the foil, or just use any other shellac colour and foil on the cured colour coat. Finish with shellac top coat.
Jen x

Latest posts

Back