Nail Artists - uniform or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I would prefer to wear normal cloths with a CND branded apron. Pretty please S2? Lol

Maybe S2 will grant you your wish for X-mas:)

I personally don't like aprons at any time, even when I'm cooking, I find they are sort of stiff and uncomfy but maybe that's just me.

3 Little letters people.. PPE

I wear my own clothes because of personal reasons (weight loss, can't afford to spend a fortune on tunics every month because I've dropped a dress size)! I wear black trousers, a smart cotton top and a cardigan - always. Noone has commented on my professionalism because of my clothes, they just like my work!

I was looking at getting an apron/tabard with my logo on it, and just wearing black clothes underneath it - at least they are size adjustable. Can anyone recommend a nice, reasonably priced apron company?

xxx

I wear uniform but have started to hate it! I work with another nail tech in a salon and we wear the same, grey military tunic with black trousers. I see pictures of nail techs on FB and magazines and vid tutorials and non of them seem to wear tunics. I want to ditch mine and wear fashionable clothing but because I've always worn tunics, I never needed a big amount of clothes so if I had more nicer clothes I would :)
Maybe I might buy myself some nice new clothes in the new year.

These were my exact thoughts, at the moment I can't really afford to keep updating my wardrobe as I'm still building my business up but in the future (when hopefully I will be busier), it would be nice to wear something a bit funkier. Sometimes I feel a bit "stiff" in my tunic, if that makes sense, I don't think it reflects my creativity.

I've always worn a uniform. Each to their own, but for me (aside from feeling more professional), I haven't got time and also can't be bothered to think about what clothes I am going to wear each morning when getting ready for work! Simple - just wear a clean uniform and no need to worry! Save your money for "going out" clothes.

Im mobile and currently wear 'normal clothes' im considering swaping to a tunic/trousers because i keep ending up with wax/lash glue/varnish ect ect on my clothes (i know i need to be more careful!)

I feel that i put clients at ease when i turn up at their home in my normal clothes, i am very proffessional and always dress smartly.
Im worried if i wear a uniform some clients may feel a bit intimidated by me?

Also i dont want to be seen by the wrong type of person who may think i have a load of money on me and rob me! Thats the same reason i wont sign write my car.

Thoughts??

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

To be honest I think it go the opposite way too. At least if you are wearing a uniform you look like you are out there earning an honest living, wearing your own clothes opens a whole new can of worms. What to wear, expensive and brand named clothing make you look expensive and cheap and cheerful clothing make you look like you are just out to get a little bit of pocket money for the night out. LOL

Difficult to take someone seriously when they dont look serious about their business. I always remember an estate agent turning up at one of our houses we were putting up for sale in a top of the range brand spanking new Convertible Audi, dripping in jewellery and wearing really expensive clothing. You could also see that she must spend a fortune on herself with Grooming etc. SHe looked like a million dollars but I chose not to use her services as I felt she must be overcharging and flaunting her wealth. Maybe she was just exceptional at her job but her image backfired with me. I even worry when I have to go to a client in the Range Rover that they might think I am earning too much.

I also dont sign write my car but for totally different reasons, firstly the Insurance implications and secondly most of my clients like a discreet service, they dont want the neighbour to know that they are getting a spray tan or that they are "wasting" their money on getting pampered.
Always makes me smile, once they have been tanned how are they going to explain the sudden tanned skin without admitting to getting a spray tan?

Ive just seen these new hoodys on nail harmony's facebook page, not sure what to think, I like the t-shirts they do with there logo as if you dont want to wear a tunic I think something branded can look professional ....but hoodys? Timeline Photos | Facebook

Ive just seen these new hoodys on nail harmony's facebook page, not sure what to think, I like the t-shirts they do with there logo as if you dont want to wear a tunic I think something branded can look professional ....but hoodys? Timeline Photos | Facebook

I couldn't wear one of them. I would in the house over my pyjamas though x

I was looking at getting an apron/tabard with my logo on it, and just wearing black clothes underneath it - at least they are size adjustable. Can anyone recommend a nice, reasonably priced apron company?

xxx
I have done this. There is a company that produces work wear and have a few different styles. I got a short one with a large pocket on the front and an adjustable neck. I printed my logo onto it using a program I bought in Staples. I like the fact that I am not all hot and sweaty with an apron.
Funnily enough though, I will be looking at the uniforms at Pro Beauty next month just to see if there is anything I like.

I don't wear a uniform as the are polyester and I sweat loads while working, my hair kit is like a body bag lol and over showers, under hair dryers I'm a mess specially in summer I would be to worried about sweating through it and would have to wash it ready every night too. If I worked in a salon I would wear one I think as I wouldn't be so hit all the time. I'm always clean snd smart sometime I feel like some kind if builder lugging the kits around! I dream of a home salon! Where I would have lots of lovely uniforms to wear! X

Can anyone recommend somewhere that sells decent uniforms/aprons etc, especially that do your own logo on? I like the idea of a uniform but as the tunics I have recently looked at are just made of the most awful materials... so cheap and nasty feeling. I would love to find some softer, more nice looking tunics!

I do agree though that it maintains professionalism but from a client's pov, as long as someone looks like they take care of themselves, I wouldn't say I have noticed with mobile therapists personally x

I'm mobile and tend to wear smart black clothes, I have tunics but find them uncomfortable.
However I had a therapist come to my house once to do my waxing and was really shocked when she turned up in jeans. This was before I'd trained and I did find it really unprofessional not a good first impression however she was lovely and her work was excellent! X

I really wouldn't like to have a treatment done by someone in casual clothes IMHO. I wear a tunic over leggings, however love the embellished t shirts and apron ideas!

I don't think funky clothing portrays that you are good at nails or creative..I think having well kept/ funky nails does.

Xx

I rent separate space in a hair salon and although the hairdresser wears regular clothes I like to have a dress code.
My staff and I dress in black t-shirts, dress pants or skinny jeans or pensil skirt in the summer. Hair pulled back and make up (on a natural side)
I like the fact that I don't have to "think what to wear" and having that dress code helps me to avoid situations where people show up for work dressed inappropriately

I wear a black tunic, leggings and knee high boots in winter and flip flops in summer. I love having a work uniform but I also love the idea of an apron. So I'm looking in to having a white apron with my logo printed on it and underneath will wear a stretch black tshirt and black a line skirt, which will be good for summer or winter as I can wear my knee high boots in the winter and flip flops in the summer. I find the tunics so hot, and I'm such a sweaty betty :eek: but i like the idea of a uniform. I work from home mostly but do the odd bit of mobile here and there. I'm always early for appointments and often sit and wait outside in the car which means in the summer i bake in my tunic! :Scared: So I'm hoping this will be a good alternative to the tunic.

I have 2 tunics, I tend to wear a pink one for when I'm doing nails and a black one for when I'm spray tanning. As I'm now back at college I'm wearing the black one at college. Hopefully by summer I will have lots of clients to start up my mobile business again. So I plan on buying plan coloured t-shirts and vests and then adding my company name and my name in crystals. x

I am mobile and home based always wear a tunic, I think it looks better. However If you want to look young and funky I think a logo printed t shirt can look nice x

Latest posts

Back