Nail Artists - uniform or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojosnails

Reaction score
Hey Nail Geeks,

Recently I've noticed lot of Nail Artists don't wear a 'uniform' and it got me thinking. I currently wear a CND Tunic as I am mobile, this way as soon as the client opens the door, they see a professional. However, I am hoping to have my own nail studio, and I think there I may decide to wear fashionable clothing, as a lot of nail artists seem to wear, and I think it will suit the environment. Or I may choose to have clothing printed with my logo to create more of a brand awareness.

My question to you all is do you currently wear a uniform? And if you do or don't, what is your working environment and do you think this affects your choice?

I look forward to hearing all of your feedback!

I'm mobile and also have a nail room at home. I do wear a tunic with my logo embroidered on it as I want customers to know that I am a professional and a business, not in it on the side iykwim

When I first started as well it also gave me the confidence I needed. As soon as I put it on I was a Nail Professional not a gibbering wreak :)

Good advertising too when you have to nip to the shops between customers

Vicki x

Last edited:
I work within a salon as well as mobile. I don't feel ready for work until I put my uniform on. Would never consider working on a client without. I don't think it looks professional without. Just my opinion though before someone thinks about having a go at me!!

For now I'm going to wear the college tunic I ordered but then never used. I want to get some plain black t-shirts with my business name on them instead to wear with trousers and ballet pumps though as I'm very busty so the tunics never sit nicely on me- to fit them over my bust they have to be very baggy everywhere else and it makes me look scruffy.

So I do intend to wear a uniform even though the treatment room is a room in my house but not a tunic. I think it's important for me to have a uniform so that it puts me in a work frame of mind instead of a lazing on the sofa mood :lol:

Yes t shirts with logo or name on look good too, as long as you don't let them fade in the wash.

We have to wear aprons at school and an OPI one came with my kit so I wear that.

Im mobile and currently wear 'normal clothes' im considering swaping to a tunic/trousers because i keep ending up with wax/lash glue/varnish ect ect on my clothes (i know i need to be more careful!)

I feel that i put clients at ease when i turn up at their home in my normal clothes, i am very proffessional and always dress smartly.
Im worried if i wear a uniform some clients may feel a bit intimidated by me?

Also i dont want to be seen by the wrong type of person who may think i have a load of money on me and rob me! Thats the same reason i wont sign write my car.

Thoughts??

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I'm not mobile and work at a hair salon, and I dress up everyday..I think when you start working someplace having displays will help show what you offer :)

Sent from my LG-LG855 using SalonGeek

I always always always wear my tunic when working. i feel more professional and i think it saves your own clothes from getting crap all down them too. i don't know about anyone else, but i always end up covered in glitter and dust. lol.

I always always always wear my tunic when working. i feel more professional and i think it saves your own clothes from getting crap all down them too. i don't know about anyone else, but i always end up covered in glitter and dust. lol.

I was playing with my glitters the other night and now my entire house has a fine layer of glitter even my cats are sparkling :lol:

i have a home salon and i wear a uniform as said it gives a more professional image and people know that you take your work seriously. i guess if i had a salon i would probably have a work uniform as in colours as the salon itself would give the professional image x

I work within a hairdresser and the two hairdressers wear their own clothes so I did the same but I felt like a customer! Went straight out and got a nice tunic with my business name on it and I had so much comments saying how professional it is.
However on a Saturday when I do only a few hours work I do tend to have a dress down Saturday if its some of my regulars in.

Hi I do manly hair and some beauty form my home salon and don't wear a uniform but im always smart / funky I have my own style ,love my clothes too much ,but I have worn all kinds of salon uniforms when I have been working for people ,i think its really personal preferences as long as you are professional tidy well presented and modest which might come as a shock to some who have read my newest thread but in a work situation modesty is important :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Im mobile and currently wear 'normal clothes' im considering swaping to a tunic/trousers because i keep ending up with wax/lash glue/varnish ect ect on my clothes (i know i need to be more careful!)

I feel that i put clients at ease when i turn up at their home in my normal clothes, i am very proffessional and always dress smartly.
Im worried if i wear a uniform some clients may feel a bit intimidated by me?

Also i dont want to be seen by the wrong type of person who may think i have a load of money on me and rob me! Thats the same reason i wont sign write my car.

Thoughts??

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I'd never thought about it like that before, anyone else feel feel the same?

Hi I do manly hair and some beauty form my home salon and don't wear a uniform but im always smart / funky I have my own style ,love my clothes too much ,but I have worn all kinds of salon uniforms when I have been working for people ,i think its really personal preferences as long as you are professional tidy well presented and modest which might come as a shock to some who have read my newest thread but in a work situation modesty is important :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I'm thinking this is what I'd likely do when I have my nail studio, smart but funky & fashionable

I think it looks a lot more professional to wear a uniform than it does to just wear anything at all.

It's all about projecting an image, in my opinion :)

I like wearing my tunic. It makes me feel like a professional going to peoples homes and not a mate turning up to do their nails. For me my tunic says hello I am a professional nail tech:biggrin:

If I was in my own salon I might have a funkier uniform, at the spa I worked we had a black fitted t-shirt with the logo on and some black wrap round wide leg trousers that were very funky, with black ballet pumps, enjoyed wearing that.

I wear uniform but have started to hate it! I work with another nail tech in a salon and we wear the same, grey military tunic with black trousers. I see pictures of nail techs on FB and magazines and vid tutorials and non of them seem to wear tunics. I want to ditch mine and wear fashionable clothing but because I've always worn tunics, I never needed a big amount of clothes so if I had more nicer clothes I would :)
Maybe I might buy myself some nice new clothes in the new year.

I am in the process at looking at having my own logo on my shirts, I just have to find the best person to do the job for the right price:)

I have always worn my NSI t-shirts and my clients love it.
I'm proud of the products I use and stand behind them and my clients know that I am NSI everything and don't mix and match my products.

When I do get my own logo shirts, I will still have NSI somewhere on the shirt too.

I do feel it send a professional message, especially in a home salon.

I think I would prefer to wear normal cloths with a CND branded apron. Pretty please S2? Lol

Latest posts

Back