Nail Biter - 3 days on and probs !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karren

Reaction score
hi all

just after some advice (as usual !)

Ok i did my first nail biter last Friday and we were both really pleased with the finished results. Two of her fingers were particularly swollen past the cuticle, it was horrible

I read previously to advice weekly checkups / infils, so she had planned to come back Thursday this week.

I got a call to see if she can re-schedule to Friday, no probs, but she also said she has Lifting, thinking at the cuticle area, but she said no its the other end where the tip is attached ??? i can only think that the tip is somehow coming away from her free edge? not sure at all

Obviously without seeing these i cannot really explain fully what she means or offer any explanation myself. Im going to see if i can fix or replace on Friday for her FOC.

I guess what im after is has anyone else heard of probs like this ? she had grown her nails for a couple of weeks so she had some free edge, we kept the extensions very short (acrylic p&w) though she is used to wearing stick on nails for last 18 years or so ! so im not sure length would have been a prob but thought better to start shorter rather than long, plus she has very small nail beds so would not have been a good idea to have too long anyway.

Even if this has not happened to your clients are there things i should be aware of for nail biters ? what, if anything, do you find in particular your nail biters come back with ? and do they fib ??? if so how do i get around that without keep offering FOC services ?

thanks all, sorry to babble

kx

The nail biter i have narmally comes back with NO nails...lol
I did a thread about it a few weeks ago because her nails just fell off..!!!! but she was willing to pay for a new set. I asked the girls for some advive and i was given a few pointers to look for and yes she had nibbled them all off. Ruth was spot on with the tell tell signs.

Nail biters are really hard because its a hard habbit to brake and i know the one i have will pick at the smallest bit of lifting. I now see her once a week just to give her a lil tidy up and make sure she does'nt get the urge to start biting again.

Vicky

Thanks Vicky i'll have another search

She had grown them for a couple of weeks prior to coming and told me shes made a concious decision to grow them and said she was not going to nibble or pick as she wanted nice nails ?!

I asked if she had knocked them or caught them or anything but no.

Will see Friday exactly what she means i guess.

Why do i feel like i should offer FOC ?!!! i could say i'll replace the two (if i need to) FOC on this occiasion but thereafter she'll have to pay for them (it is on my consultation form which she signed ! lol) makes you wonder why i offered FOC eh ?!

Must check out Ruths tell tale signs, thanks

how much do you charge her for her weekly apt ? or is it depended on how much time etc ? i think i read somewhere that someone charges 1/2 price for weekly apts ?

kx

vicky said:
The nail biter i have narmally comes back with NO nails...lol
I did a thread about it a few weeks ago because her nails just fell off..!!!! but she was willing to pay for a new set. I asked the girls for some advive and i was given a few pointers to look for and yes she had nibbled them all off. Ruth was spot on with the tell tell signs.

Nail biters are really hard because its a hard habbit to brake and i know the one i have will pick at the smallest bit of lifting. I now see her once a week just to give her a lil tidy up and make sure she does'nt get the urge to start biting again.

Vicky

Can't really help with your prob I'm Afraid. But I do know clients tell porky pies, particularly nail biters. They are too embarassed to admit that they are "back in the habit"! I try and coax it out of them over the course of the infills. I casually drop into the conversation that I am a picker (I really am!) and say how when there is a little edge I can't help having a go at it, or I just can't leave lifting alone. Normally at this point your client doen't feel like a failure, they feel as though they are part of your "naughty girls" club and start to confess all!!!! give it a try it nearly always works. Just try and make them feel at ease and not like you're their mum and going to give them a slap for biting again!!! The only comment I would make with your technique is that I was taught that if the skin is at all swollen then leave that finger alone. You are leaving yourself wide open to geting an infection in your client's skin area - they may be a bit miffed but will respect your professionalism.

Hope this helps

Hi Karren, having just posted my reply I notice you live just round the corner from me - I live in Funtley!! We offer a nail biters scheme which we put on the full set, and then the client comes back for 6 weekly fills when we charge half price. I always warn nailbiters that they may well incurr probs at the beginning - describe like building a house, the poorer the foundations the weaker the structure. They come back weekly so that if there are probs you pick it up quicker. Also I see you asked if she has knocked them at all - poeple don't realise that constant little knocks continually weakens them and can create minute fractures which can make them break - a client described it to me perfectly today and I thought it was so brilliant that I am going to use it for my other clients :- if you try and break an egg it doesn't always crack at first, but each time you try it puts a strain on it and then before you know it, voila it's cracked!! ... well I thought it was good! If you really believe that your workmanship was good, stick to your guns and don't offer foc repairs, or maybe the first couple as a gesture of goodwill and the that's it.

Hey Sarah

Thanks for your advice - yeh just noticed where you live too !! thankfully my nails ARE better than my eyesight ! lol

just found the thread Vicky was talking about too - interesting reading.

I should definately be charging for their weekly visits, wasnt sure how to go about it but will let her know Friday and yeh definately charge after Friday - good will gesture sounds great for the two fingers i may need to replace that i have already said FOC. What i should have said was to alter the booking and review on day re what action to take and cost etc !!! live and learn eh

On a plus side - had a bride today for extensions and brisa on toes - great day she'd had two bad experiences with extensions and was ready to give up on them, she was nearly in tears even before we'd finished ! she was so happy bless her, hopefully i've done my bit to install confidence back in her and that there are some great Nail Technicians out there ! Plus she spent just as much on products as she did on her services !

You talk about "we"? are you working in a Salon ? hey anytime you fancy meeting up for a coffee drop me a PM. I meet with a few girls regularly and always happy to meet others

kx

sarah haslam said:
Hi Karren, having just posted my reply I notice you live just round the corner from me - I live in Funtley!! We offer a nail biters scheme which we put on the full set, and then the client comes back for 6 weekly fills when we charge half price. I always warn nailbiters that they may well incurr probs at the beginning - describe like building a house, the poorer the foundations the weaker the structure. They come back weekly so t
hat if there are probs you pick it up quicker. Also I see you asked if she has knocked them at all - poeple don't realise that constant little knocks continually weakens them and can create minute fractures which can make them break - a client described it to me perfectly today and I thought it was so brilliant that I am going to use it for my other clients :- if you try and break an egg it doesn't always crack at first, but each time you try it puts a strain on it and then before you know it, voila it's cracked!! ... well I thought it was good! If you really believe that your workmanship was good, stick to your guns and don't offer foc repairs, or maybe the first couple as a gesture of goodwill and the that's it.

Hi Karren - I work in Envy in West Street, Fareham (Nail Envy & Beauty Too). Where do you work? I have just expanded and taken on a trainee tech and a beauty therapist (both part time). Out of interest, have you had any reports about LA NAils that has just opened up in West Street? Sadly I think it is an MMA Salon. Had my first complainee from thier today. They use electric drills and the girl said she was dreading going back as they really hurt her natural nails. Just thought I'd let you know in case you get someone similar.

i was going to go mobile, then i was going to look for somewhere to rent for a couple of days a week and have eventually decided to transform a room downstairs in my house into my salon - looks fab even if i have to say so myself !! actually had really good comments from all my clients (opened last month !)

Is Envy yours ? well done

havent heard anything about LA Nails but have had clients from a place in Botley and southampton come to me with appauling nails - will pm you info just incase - hate to offend anyone on here !
kx

sarah haslam said:
Hi Karren - I work in Envy in West Street, Fareham (Nail Envy & Beauty Too). Where do you work? I have just expanded and taken on a trainee tech and a beauty therapist (both part time). Out of interest, have you had any reports about LA NAils that has just opened up in West Street? Sadly I think it is an MMA Salon. Had my first complainee from thier today. They use electric drills and the girl said she was dreading going back as they really hurt her natural nails. Just thought I'd let you know in case you get someone similar.

I just had a thought about those nails, did you use a Gel bond adhesive when applying the tips? This is good for nailbiters as it gives a nice cushion fortheir very short nails and helps to act as a shock absorber if they do bash them at times.

Also alot of nail biters, (i know i used to be one) don't even realise they have there fingers in their mouth. Its not till one breaks or cracks that they know what they've done.

As was said previously let them know that it's not a sin to pick but it will just mean they don't last very long and it will cost them in their pocket to keep having them repaired. Try to encourage themto leave them alone, but realise it can be a slow process.

Hi yes thanks i did use gel bond as i remember from my training what you say about it for nail biters, and everything you mention i mentioned during the service but will mention again on friday and services thereafter.

Nervous re seeing them tomorrow but at least i'll have a better idea of what she is talking about, also gonna let her know that future breakages will have to be paid for and then re-iterate what you say below.

wish me luck !

kx

talented talons said:
I just had a thought about those nails, did you use a Gel bond adhesive when applying the tips? This is good for nailbiters as it gives a nice cushion fortheir very short nails and helps to act as a shock absorber if they do bash them at times.

Also alot of nail biters, (i know i used to be one) don't even realise they have there fingers in their mouth. Its not till one breaks or cracks that they know what they've done.

As was said previously let them know that it's not a sin to pick but it will just mean they don't last very long and it will cost them in their pocket to keep having them repaired. Try to encourage themto leave them alone, but realise it can be a slow process.

Hi all, just thought id update you

My Nail Biter client has just left, well when i looked at her nails the little finger on right hand had split along free edge and the index finger on left hand similar.

She admited that she had caught the little finger !!!! (THANKS ALL!)

Not sure what happened to index, she said she doesnt nibble (though thumb looked like it had a little nibble !) and hadnt knocked it ?

Soaked off the two fingers, replaced as new - happy client.

Discussed pricing / payments for services and broken nails (for whatever reason) going forward and is really happy - took a lot of what has been said and advised in this thread and others and advised / explained to client accordingly

She is coming weekly for next 6 weeks initially which i will charge accordingly for, including breakages ! And will re-assess appointment frequency and services thereafter.

CONFIDENCE i think this is what i need to have more in and BELIEF, i do have absolute confidence in my products and training i have received, just need more in myself and the services i provide. Everytime i doubt myself Im proven wrong and my confidence grows and i wonder why i even think problems are down to me, i need to sit back listen, assess then conclude, rather than jump straight in blaming myself

Talking of which ..... my bride, who was with me most of the day on Wednesday called me yesterday, you guessed what must have gone through my mind, talk about jumping the gun AGAIN - whats wrong, what have I done ???!!!! BUT NO ... she simply rang to thank me again for the work i had done on her fingers and toes and that she was really happy

thanks all.

kx

Karren - you are so like me it's untrue - our paranoia serves us badly!! You always assume that if a client has a prob then it's your fault ( i have now over come this one). And when a client phones back you expect the worst and wait for the bad news, but feel so elated when it's good news. Look forward to seeing you on Monday and we can give each other moral support. Loadsa love Sarah

Latest posts

Back