Nail glue/Adhesive question?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Perfection

Reaction score
I sometimes order nail art items from ebay and recently order some nail "glue".

Now the nail adhesive I normally use is named as "Ethyl Cyanoacrylate" but this one says "Alpha Cyanoacrylate"? I know that super glue is "Methyl cyanoacrylate".

I was just wary of this as I have not heard of "alpha".

Would anyone happen to know if it is safe to use for nails. It is labelled as "nail glue"?

Now the nail adhesive I normally use is named as "Ethyl Cyanoacrylate" but this one says "Alpha Cyanoacrylate"? I know that super glue is "Methyl cyanoacrylate".

Would anyone happen to know if it is safe to use for nails. It is labelled as "nail glue"?

From what I can find out about this at the moment, would indicate that this is an industrial adhesive resin and should not be used on the human body and in fact doesn't work particularly well on porous surfaces (which nails are). I have made some further enquiries though.

Thanks Gigi.

I did do a search on it myself and couldn't find much out unfortunately.

Thanks Antony

This was one of the first article I found when searching but it is a bit vague as to what "alpha cyan..." can be used for in particular.

Thanks anyway. :)

The article does mention that it can take the form of "ethyl ALPHA cyanoacrylate" as well as other variations. It could be that the word "ethly" is missing from the ingredients?

Obviously I am aware that to be on the safe side it's best to order "nail adhesive" from a reputable company. I was just curious. :rolleyes:

From my bit of 'looking' I think it may be an alternative name (many chemical compounds have more than 1 name)

Alpha is not a chemical but there seem to be alpha cyanoacrylates in the usual range i.e. methyl, ethyl, butyl etc. Alpha is usually used to mean first, primary etc following the Greek alphabet alpha, beta, gamma etc.

I would suggest the the ethyl and the cyanoacrylate is the important bit. If methyl is there is shouldn't be used for nails

From my bit of 'looking' I think it may be an alternative name (many chemical compounds have more than 1 name)

Alpha is not a chemical but there seem to be alpha cyanoacrylates in the usual range i.e. methyl, ethyl, butyl etc. Alpha is usually used to mean first, primary etc following the Greek alphabet alpha, beta, gamma etc.

I would suggest the the ethyl and the cyanoacrylate is the important bit. If methyl is there is shouldn't be used for nails

Thanks for that.

"Methyl" is not mentioned at all and it is labelled as nail "glue".

I have been informed that it is just a generic name.

Hiya i found that,
The present invention is directed to cyanoacrylate-based compositions, which include in addition to the cyanoacrylate component, a thermal-resistance conferring agent, such as an alkylating agent and/or silylating agent, which provides reaction products of the compositions with improved thermal resistance properties.

If you can make sense of that ha x

I have been informed that it is just a generic name.

So in a nutshell would this mean that "alpha" means the same as "ethyl" or am i picking you up wrong?

So in a nutshell would this mean that "alpha" means the same as "ethyl" or am i picking you up wrong?

No, alpha does not mean ethyl. It can be associated with all types (as I explained) Only use ethyl cyanoacrylate with or without the alpha bit.

I can understand buying nail art bits from various places but I'd suggest only using adhesives (not glue) from a reputable source

interesting ........ and i'm not being a smart harse, BUT, you buy cheap crap adhesive from ebay (by-passing reputable distributors) and doing them out of thier well earned dollars, but want advice about what you have already bought on ebay from technicians and educators in a professional forum.......
mmmmmm, something doesn't add up

interesting ........ and i'm not being a smart harse, BUT, you buy cheap crap adhesive from ebay (by-passing reputable distributors) and doing them out of thier well earned dollars, but want advice about what you have already bought on ebay from technicians and educators in a professional forum.......
mmmmmm, something doesn't add up

"ouch!" It was just a wee discussion about the different names for nail "glue". I did mention earlier that I normally buy "adhesive" from a professional supplier and this was a one off, hence my apprehension and therefore the question.

It's always a good idea to bring these things to the attention of "professionals" and "newbies" who may come accross this themselves and having read this thread will be better informed. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back