Nail help! Does this happen to you too?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissKatieAnn

Reaction score
Hi,

So whenever I do a manicure I file/cut nails and then soak but once the nails have soaked I find it makes the nails go seet through and get little bits of nails coming from underneath, really hard to explain, it's like the nails peeling from the ends/underneat but it's not like is before I soak the? It's putting me off soaking the nails because they're fine beforehand, this happens to every client! Anybody experience is and now to to stop it?

X

Whether or when you soak is down to the individual client and what their nails need.

If you are soaking, you (also depending on clients nails) need to decide whether to soak before or after filing.

If nails are dry and brittle soak the nails in a conditioning solution, then trim and file, putting fingers back in after. If nails are thin and flexible then file first. Remember that the nail plates are porous. Don't forget a moisture pack and Solar Oil (especially at home) as well to help keep their nails in tip top shape. There have been threads on SG before about whether to soak or not so just do a bit of research :D xx

As for what you describe as little bits of nail coming from behind.

This will be the sole horn, which is just like the cuticle that is at the eponychium except it is behind the nail at the hyponichium, Transluscent dead tissue that is shed from these seals. Even if you don't soak you can still have a problem with this when you file the length of nails down, the best way to make sure it does not spoil your polish application is to Bevel your file at an angle slightly behind the nail as you finish filing to ensure there is none of this left at the edge.

As for what you describe as little bits of nail coming from behind.

This will be the sole horn, which is just like the cuticle that is at the eponychium except it is behind the nail at the hyponichium, Transluscent dead tissue that is shed from these seals. Even if you don't soak you can still have a problem with this when you file the length of nails down, the best way to make sure it does not spoil your polish application is to Bevel your file at an angle slightly behind the nail as you finish filing to ensure there is none of this left at the edge.

I would advise the same as this is what I do :) xxx

Thank you :) however I do bevel the nail edges always so unsure why this still happens, frustrating though as I then have to file the nails agan after soaking and these bits won't come off without cutting/filing it's as if they're the skin under the nail edge. X

Bevel upwards then back down again to 'seal' x

Thank you :) however I do bevel the nail edges always so unsure why this still happens, frustrating though as I then have to file the nails agan after soaking and these bits won't come off without cutting/filing it's as if they're the skin under the nail edge. X

That's because it IS the epidermis that is attached to the underside of the nailplate. This epidermal layer of skin grows along the grooves of the dermis of the nail bed and it is the interlocking of these two layers of skin that attaches the nail plate to the nail bed. :D

After filing and Before you put the fingers to soak, take the round end of your file and run it under each free edge (as if you were cleaning under the free edge) to remove any "frilly bits".

Thanks a lot! I will try this next time!x

I always soak before any filing. Then I don't get any skin/nail bits hanging off under the nail! Good for cuticle work aswell, as obviously make it nice and soft, so you don't need to use any cuticle removers!

I always file before soaking so I can file when the nails are NOT soft and saturated ... cuticle work done with CND cuticle away and then soak etc.

Last edited:
Exactly as Izzydoll and geeg said :) As soon I read your post I knew exactly what you meant and how to prevent it. They both summed it up perfectly :)

Also make sure you're not soaking for too long. When I did my mani training I was advised NEVER longer than 4 mins as this makes the nails look see-through and bendy.
xx

Latest posts

Back