Nail Patella Syndrome

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorgeousnails

Reaction score
I have a client who wants a full set but she has Nail Patella Syndrome.

I know her well and told her that I will try, but if they fall off the moment I walk out the door, Its not my fault. She has no nails on her thumbs, and partial on the rest of them.

Does anyone have any advise as to what I can do?

Please help me!!

Angel x

Well I for one would not do them.

Nail products are designed to bond to the non living tissue of the nail plate, not the living skin.

As I'm sure you know (or I hope you know), you would be putting your client at the risk of overexposure and a potential allergy by repeatedly exposing the skin to reactive nail products.

I had thought about overexposure, but I was thinking about trying the technique of putting cuticle oil on the nail bed (as for nail biters) and then applying gel.

I am really unsure of it all, I want to help, but I don't want to damage the poor girl. She said her mom has NPS as well and nail enhancements helped her natural nails grow.

Thank you for your advise, I am really drawing from your experience on this one, as this is something I havent had any experience with.

I had thought about overexposure, but I was thinking about trying the technique of putting cuticle oil on the nail bed (as for nail biters) and then applying gel.

I am really unsure of it all, I want to help, but I don't want to damage the poor girl. She said her mom has NPS as well and nail enhancements helped her natural nails grow.

Thank you for your advise, I am really drawing from your experience on this one, as this is something I havent had any experience with.

Hi honey

let me just say that took alot for your lady to even show you her nail as people who have NPS hide thier hands all the time cos they find it embarrassing.

I have some experience with this symdrom and have a lady who came to me for a wedding. I know it gose agains the grain to do the nails but when you realise how much they suffer then you try what you can.

I used YN synergy gel system the reason i did this is because we use Protine bond as a primer which acts like double sided stick tape and not acid based like most other preps.

The nails lasted a week and as you can imagine she thinks i have performed a miracle

I hope this has been of some help to you

I advise you not to do her nails.

Hi Honey

The other adivce I can give is to contact NPS uk www.npcuk.org or 0800 1218298 I am sure that they will provide adivce on the condition.

I have also been approached by members of the NPS to find a solution but as yet we have only tried the advice I have given before as the protine bond is not acid based then this cause no harm.

I believe that this condition is a contra indication to nail enhancement. It's not as if you can do anything permanent to help this condition and for a special occasion I would do something temporary for the day.

With your little experience in the nail industry (as per your profile) I would personally feel very irresponsible if I encouraged you to try to enhance these nails.

Your own feelings of being unsure should tell you to leave well alone. :hug:

Last edited:
I have a friend with nail patella syndrome. She told me once that she did have her nails done but it was painful and they didn't last at all.

As it is only the thumb nails that are missing, maybe say you will do the other 8 and that might make her feel better. As she is probably in the habit of hiding her thumbs no one would notice that these were not done?

Good to hear people are aware of this condition, my friend is always trying to raise awareness in order to raise money for research. Her son also has the condition.

oh just to add the correct web address is www.npsuk.org. My friend is the founder of this organisation, Carol Dobbins. Just in case anyone would like for info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend with nail patella syndrome. She told me once that she did have her nails done but it was painful and they didn't last at all.

As it is only the thumb nails that are missing, maybe say you will do the other 8 and that might make her feel better. As she is probably in the habit of hiding her thumbs no one would notice that these were not done?

Good to hear people are aware of this condition, my friend is always trying to raise awareness in order to raise money for research. Her son also has the condition.

oh just to add the correct web address is www.npsuk.org. My friend is the founder of this organisation, Carol Dobbins. Just in case anyone would like for info.

Thanks honey sorry I got the address wrong and I think I may have had a chat with Carol re this before

I did someone many years ago who had nails like this but she said hers was caused from chemicals from cleaning products I put Acrylics on her because she was disperate but she had to come in more often to have some replace and it got to costly for her. Didn't know then what I know now about the chemicals and that she could have made her problem worse. But maybe she had this disorder you are talking about and didn't want to tell me.

Latest posts

Back