Nail plate torn off nailbed and bleeding - can I fix?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryony

British Aussie Geek
Reaction score
Despite having L&P overlay, this afternoon I managed to bend back one of my nails and have torn the nail plate off the nail bed. The tear is horizontal, about halfway down the nail bed and is bl**dy painful.

The nail plate is hanging on by a little bit at one side, I put a plaster on it as couldn't bear the thought of ripping it off - makes my stomach turn just thinking about it.

I've done a search and found the following thread

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=7240&highlight=torn

however, this doesn't state what to do if the nail bed is actually bleeding, which in my case it is. I'm worried about putting adhesive or L&P over the crack as it will seep onto the nail plate - which sounds painful.

I can't file a 'v' into the L&P as I would for a normal crack as the nail is now very tender to touch.

I'm not sure I can ahere a tip to the part of the nailplate that is still attached, as the rip is so far down the nail plate - there wouldn't be much nailplate left for the tip to adhere to.

Can anyone PLEASE help. Right now I don't care what it ends up looking like - I just want the damn thing to stop hurting.

Ouch! :hug:

I'd probably give it a couple of hours for the bleeding to stop first but you can certainly put some adhesive in the crack to rejoin it (any CND adhesive will be OK as they are all hospital grade and the adhesive doesn't sting, but by God the scrubfresh does :lol: )

Follow all the points on Ruth's scanned in article and you'll be fine - it will hurt at first, but once there is an overlay on it will protect it. The most important thing to remember is to seal the crack completely with the adhesive before overlaying so there are not gaps for anything horrible to breed.

Any sign of greenies or anything unusual then soak of the overlay and visit the doctor to be sure, but I'm sure it will be fine.

HTH

Trin
xx

Same as what Trinity says!!!!!
You poor little onion I bet it really hurts!!
Go get a bottle of wine and some chocolate and perhaps that might help!!!!

Hope it heals ok!!!

Tilly Ann xx

Tilly Ann said:
Go get a bottle of wine and some chocolate and perhaps that might help!!!!

Hmmm, wine - PURELY for Medicinal purposes only! LOL!!

Thanks girls, will do that. Not looking forward to scrubfresh bit though - my other half won't be pleased, he only just painted the ceiling - wasn't expecting to have to scrape me off it!

xx

hi hun just want to say im feeling your pain, i did the same thing last year and it was really bleeding i was quite surprised at just how much it bleeds and the pain, i thought i was going to faint! i did have to wait sometime for the throbbing to stop and i didnt touch it for a few days which after that it was fine x

Bryony said:
my other half won't be pleased, he only just painted the ceiling - wasn't expecting to have to scrape me off it!

:lol: Thank you for that one Bryony - made me laugh out loud :lol:

Hope it stops throbbing soon

Trin
xx

I did this a couple of years back to my pinky finger - it the night before taking an overseas plan trip, too! All I did was soak in warm salty water everyday and re-bandaided it daily until the whole nail fell off (after about a month!), and then waited for the poor little new stubb of nail to grow through all healthy and happy again... Hurt to hell though, especially in the pressurized plane cabin - eeargh!

Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be ok in the long-run...

Kindly,
Mercury

Well, I followed Trinitys advise. The worst bit was removing the plaster I'd put on as it pulled the nail (normally wouldn't have done that for this very reason but it was lunchtime in a restaurant so didn't have a lot of choice!). I ended up holding the split nail and got my other half to peel of the plaster!

I gave it a couple of hours and have managed to file it down a bit to reduce length. It's still pretty sore, so I'll have to be gentle with it, but at least I can do stuff now!

Oh babe I know how you feel, blooming sore aint it............
this is what happend to mine

It hurt like hell and there was no way I was going to remove the tip, it would have only made things worse............
I scrubfreshed the nail.........cried..............applied resin into the crack...pushed the crack together.......cried....ok not cried but hey I do know some mean words........overlayed it with Fabric# and then stopped crying as it wasn't as sore as before............
It grew out within a few weeks...........
have a hugg babe xxxx:hug:
The link gives you a real close up of the nail after repair...........
http://www.thenailgeek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=713

Thanks girls, will do that. Not looking forward to scrubfresh bit though - my other half won't be pleased, he only just painted the ceiling - wasn't expecting to have to scrape me off it!

xx

How's the ceiling? LOL? I think we've all done this, if we haven't yet....we will!!!

Ouch, Ruth that looks bloomin nasty! :Scared: The worst I'v done is pulled my nail up at the free edge and that hurts enough...gonna have to start wrapping my hands in cotton mits i think as I'm rather heavy handed :rolleyes:

Hope your finger feels better soon Bryony

Latest posts

Back