Nail tech in distress

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SapphireBeaux

Reaction score
Hello geeks.
I wonder if I can get any help. I am a home based nail tech with a passion for acrylic. Mani pedi and gel polish. I love doing nails soooo much. The thing im struggling with is getting a consistent clientele, I lack the confidence to try and get a job at a salon as they all want experience! I have the experience that I've been doing nails for 5 years but again the consistent clientele and my lack of confidence is an issue. I have plenty of designs on my site which should show you I'm capable, but I need consistent work. What can I do?? I'd even like to work in a local Essex salon part time but with some colleagues who will be patient with me and have a little faith in me! Im not sure I'm getting my concerns or fears across properly as I'm just so frazzled. Basically I'm asking for advice on how I can get myself more business or join a business who would be willing to give someone like me a chance?! :cry:

Could you ask local salons if they could offer you some work experience hours? I have a friend who has a hair dressing salon and I'm going to ask if I can do one morning a week once I've completed training. I won't be earning any money but I think the experience will be valuable in itself. Good luck x x

Thank you for the advice. I did ask one place which was looking promising but then nothing! Really knocks your confidence! Good luck with your opportunity too x

Thank you for the advice. I did ask one place which was looking promising but then nothing! Really knocks your confidence! Good luck with your opportunity too x

You can always call back yourself and ask for feedback from the salon to see if there is any specific thing that stopped them hiring you. It could be anything and not necessarily that they did not like you or your work. It should not knock your confidence unless their reason for not hiring you was related to your performance .. and you do not know that. I do think it is very bad of people when they do not even have the manners to give you a call and at least let you know one way or the other ... just rude in my opinion.

You have been doing nails for 5 years .. why no confidence? Clients don't stay with you forever; they are always changing due to many factors (mostly financial). You must have some idea that you are pleasing your clients.

If it is what you want, you should start in earnest to let salons know that this is what you want and I'm sure you will attract them to you .. but if you do not believe in yourself, then no one else is going to believe in you either.

I wouldn't go to a salon with the attitude that they can do something for YOU .. I would go in and tell them what I could do for them!! 5 years experience and an existing clientele and portfolio of evidence to bring with you should be attraction enough. :green:

Another thought is where do you get your hair done? Are their clientelle the kind that you are after?
I'm just starting to do a treatment swap with a local hairdresser. As well as getting my haircut into the deal, I will have a walking talking advert for my nails. She's happy to take my business cards and pass them on to any interested clients.
Something like that may help you also.

Latest posts

Back