Nail Technicians Branded As Dumb!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, when you read the whole article it doesn't sound as bad as it looks lol......
Some inhouse trainers made that comment but thats them... and then there is us..... We know what we want from Education and we also know what is lacking there......
The article revolved around giving out credit points for further education, Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and upholding standards....

HABIA defines CPD as "the systematic maintenance of knowledge, skills and personal qualities necessary to undertake professional and technical duties within the beauty therapy industry". The general gist of that statement is if you continue doing courses throughout your career, you not only keep up-to-date with new developments but accrue points which are an indicator of how good a nail tech you are.
Some educators thought that this was not such a good idea, as Technicians don't like Tests, they would rather work hands on.... this is where the quote came from.....

"I don't think nail techs need CPD points," says Sue Simms, educator for Millennium Nails Wales. "In general nail technicians are not academically minded and do not like taking tests. This does not make them idiots but their skills lie in other areas. They enjoy practical courses because they want to do them, not for accruing points."

So how can you change their minds, simple tell them that you are not a DT (Dumb Tech)and that you are the reason for their paychecks..and would they please ask the Technicians they educate, if they think this is a good idea and not just assume that its a waste of time...

If you don't like their stand on this subject with regards to education, support those education providers that will stand tall and are ready to be counted on.

But what do you guys think....So whats your take on this? not the quote itself but the thought of having to collect points to stay ahead in the game....Or will it be Clubcards are us(Boring) and no one is really interested?

people that look down on nail tech, beauty therapist and hairdressers are the ones that are dumb, do they realise just how much training, knowledge and skill it takes to be one of the said above - they obviously dont, which in turn makes THEM the dumb ones for not realising that.

Well having read the quote now (thanks Roofie) can anyone tell me who exactly LIKES taking tests. I am very academically AND practically minded and I poop my pants at every test I take. I don't think I've ever met anyone who has said "yippee I have an exam today I can't wait!" :rolleyes:

And before you embark on the practical for any nail or beauty course you have to have it backed up with all the theory. Jeez they should try doing level 3 facials, Galvanic theory just blows my mind and I did well in science at school! :lol:

What is dumb is thinking that just sitting there doing nails all day is all you need to do to have a good business. Those are the kind of statements that really do make one look stupid and that give others the perception that people who work in our business are of shall we say, a 'limited intelligence'. And make no mistake about it, there are plenty in our business like that.

There are those that 'do nails' and then there are those that make a real business out of nails. And I'm not talking about doing nails to make some extra pocket money to help out the family, but enough money to live well and to keep a family with a nice car and a nice house and all the other nice extras that we deserve out of life.

You can be one or the other, but the ones who want independence and to make more than just a borderline living need to do much more than sit behind the table 'putting them on' all day long.

I'm not going into all the ins and outs of why you should know this or know that. The smart ones on here will know what those things are and what I mean and the others will carry on doing the 'same old same old' and really never get very far.

Absolutely Geeg, this is what i think separates the best from the rest !

I have been watching this thread unravell with interest.

I recently made the comment that the computer was a dangerous tool when it came to communication, because sometimes people who publish their comments do not give consideration to what they say, which of course have consequences.

I neither implied nor used the word "idiot" - but without checking the article for themselves there was a rush of indignation (apart from one or two who actually read it) - which somehow along the way began to involve beauticians - where did that one come from? I never mentioned beauticians at all!!

No-one was branded as dumb. Again, one person uses it and the rest follow suit.

I was asked for my opinion, took the time to think about it and gave my reply. As I have often said, we are all entitled to differ in our opinions - but there are ways of expressing them, and uninformed is not one of them. Neither is responding by alleging words I have never used or opinions I have never expressed.

When you think about it, there would be no point in writing an article such as this without differing points of view. Otherwise, it would be "nanny state" and not allow the reader to come to their own conclusions - after reading it properly of course. Disagree with me - fine - but not with the comments or opinions someone ALLEGES I made.

How many of your heros in the nail industry have Doctorates, Phd's, MA's etc ? - as I said, that does not make them idiots.

Some of the best teaching I have experienced has been PRACTICAL - ie., the tutor explaining polymerisation in such a fun and amusing way that I have always remembered it. A true Academic would hit the library and read a book.

Show me a tech that enjoys written tests. Invite her/him to read any written manual and take a test on it

or

Demonstrate a system/product (and include the chemistry while you are doing it hands on) and ask her/him to "have a go" for themselves. Yes, back it up with handouts/manuals but by then he/she gets it - because it was practical.

As a tech, which would you choose from the above? The Academic or the practical?

Let me give you another example:-

Thread on "views of my first time acrylic" (ie a practical look at someones practical work) 1586 VIEWS

Thread on "World-wide standards of training" (assume that should be of importance to everyone given the statements on this thread) 562 VIEWS

ie., let's be honest, we all wanted to look at the nails but only one third of us wanted to read about standards of training.

I sincerely hope that those who put words in my mouth will retract them please.

PS I hate written tests, am not an academic. I do however try to check something before putting an opinion on it into print, but that is just common sense.

Does anyone even care whether i like written tests or not....? Is anyone even interested in whether i prefer to look at pictures of nails or read threads about standards of training. Read what you like, look at what pleases you and i doubt very much anyone will ever question why.:)

"In general nail technicians are not academically minded and do not like taking tests. This does not make them idiots but their skills lie in other areas. They enjoy practical courses because they want to do them, not for accruing points."

Well actually you did use the word idiot, and of course when such an emotive word as that is used then it tends to be the one that is focussed on. To use such sweeping statements as these are not well thought out, particularly when published within our own industry magazines. The highlighted quote above infers that we are conceived as idiots by some and I think the choice of wording was very poor.

With the ever advancing techniques and chemistry that exists within our profession then I think we cannot rely on practical skills alone. We need to have an all round mix of abilities and knowledge.

And it was me who mentioned beauty, because again it is another area that people tend to put the therapists in a little box and say, oh well love give beauty a go as you're not exactly the brightest spark in the box. So I thought it was a fair comparison to bring into the debate.

I do however agree that I like to learn to improve my skills and knowledge and not for the sake of having a piece of paper at the end of it - and that goes for academic as well as practical. However we have to have these pieces of paper as proof for our insurance cover, and proof to our clients that we have attained a certain level of skill - there is no other way of doing this other than in an exam environment.

I wont be retracting any of what I said, and maybe the printed word in the press may be best left to those who are of an academic persuasion. JMHO

Absolutely, do whatever floats your boat. I'm with you on that one.

You might, however, care if someone on the site totally misquoted something you said and involved others in an extremely heated (and ill-informed) discussion about it and you.

At one stage I was even quoted as "he", and watched as the wrath boiled over - with everyone getting more and more emotional. At the time I sat back, said nothing and decided to let it run.

It was not until a Moderator, for reasons best known to themselves, decided to add to the discussion and make it very clear to everyone just who had made the comments named me here.

It was then that I chose to reply - as anyone would.

But following my reply, the title of the thread was changed, and with the contentious title removed, it slipped into oblivion. Hardly cricket.

Bring beauty into the debate Sassy, great.

The fact remains that it was never mentioned by me, though along the way I am credited for "dissing" it.

Your reply is reasoned and interesting.

My comments regarding "publishing" actually do apply to what people write on here. Everything we write is published - right here - and therefore must be considered carefully.

I have in my possession some fairly damning articles written on "our" behalf and published in magazines on sale to the general public.

If you read on, you will see my own opinion regarding an Association. It will never happen, and I can understand why. But should the impossible happen and we get independant representation, then this organisation could do marvels in changing the public's perception of us, be a genuinely NEUTRAL meeting of minds and offer complete and unbiased information on all products and services within the industry.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the whole article as my subs have lapsed and I've not renewed due to my imminent move abroad. Sound like I missed a hot topic :)

Oh Sassy!

Give me an address and I'll send you a spare - not reading it all!! I could have ended by saying how great you were and you would never know!

Be fair - at least read it all!

It was not until a Moderator, for reasons best known to themselves, decided to add to the discussion and make it very clear to everyone just who had made the comments named me here.
Yes that was me, I honestly didn't think it would be a problem, your comment was made publicly in a magazine. To stop the, who said what and how, I simply copied it and pasted it here.

But following my reply, the title of the thread was changed, and with the contentious title removed, it slipped into oblivion. Hardly cricket.
I can assure you that no changes where made by me with regards to the thread title change.

Is there any chance that someone could possible scan this article and post as an attachment please...

At least that way everyone can read it and be able to offer their point of view :wink2:

Erm, I'm sure someone will, but why not subscribe?

It's a bit worrying when a barney starts up over an article that not many of you have read properly!

Can't say I always do read the indepth ones - Check out every step-by-step in detail - but then I'm not an academic (PUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Erm, I'm sure someone will, but why not subscribe?
I do subscribe but being outside of the UK it always takes longer for my magazines to arrive, sometimes I get my 'current' edition just before the next one is due out in the UK!

The title of this thread is totally unecessary then... it was just someone's opinion - how they perceived the article.

Humans are emotional, not always logical!

O well another article and thread that seems to misconstrue things!

CPD is not about taking tests. It is about updating skills and knowledge regularly. This may be by taking a workshop or it may even be by attending a seminar. It is all about maintaining a professional attitude and skill level.

This can be done independantly and collecting attendance certs. Or it can be done in a more organised and formal way via HABIA. The method is the same either way!

Sue, I can understand your concern at the reaction to your comments! It did come across in such a way that is not so good. But then so did my inane comment! Sometimes the context is missed in articles. However, frequent skill updates are essential to a good technician.

I can also absolutely see why our profession is viewed less than favourably by some people. You only have to read some of the posts on this site to see why!!! You also have to be aware of the fact that so many 'technicians' over so many years have just taken a 1 or 2 day course and, bingo, they are 'professionals'! "Duh, I do nails"

Those of you that think that knowledge and understanding is not necessry, read the Occupational Standard for the subject on HABIA's website. That is the requirement for the lowest level professional technician.

The title of this thread is totally unecessary then... it was just someone's opinion - how they perceived the article.

Humans are emotional, not always logical!

Absolutely! Emotion is great - providing you express an opinion on something you have actually read for yourself!

Bit unfair to be slated for something someone "perceives" I said.

I deserve chocolate now, and I'm going to have it.

I have quite a lot I want to add to this thread, so sorry if it gets a bit long!

1) To answer Ruth, I would be in favour of CPD points especially if we could get them for attending seminars & workshops as well as courses. Basically earn them without necessarily paying for a course every time. Maybe a sliding scale of awarding them? I totally understand the issue of regulation though, and if no-one's monitoring the points what do they mean? Also, how do the public know what to look for?

2) CadenceAlex, I'm sorry but science is massively important. Saying 'the company know that so I don't need to' is a cop out. Also, speaking personally I like to be able to explain a bit about how my products work to my clients. I have no desire to be a 'slap 'em on & ship 'em out' tech.

3) I have been branded as less than intelligent by a member of the public for being a Nail Tech. I did a set of nails for a prom so the converstaion led to what she was doing when she left school.... To which she replied 'my Mum says I should get a job with options so I don't have to do the same thing forever like you'. If only she knew :grr: .

4) I have read the article Sue, and totally accept you weren't calling anyone dumb. The trouble is there's a perception problem and if we don't work from within to bust this it will remain. I admit before training to be a Nail Tech I assumed that people 'doing beauty' were doing it through lack of choice sometimes. I have nothing but respect for Beauty Therapists now I am better informed.

5) If we are going to challenge the preception among the public we need to demonstrate that there is more to our job than 'just doing nails'. We need to be able to explain what we're doing and why and how it will benefit the nail, etc. (this comes back to understanding our science).

6) I am quite well qualified and spent 16 years working in a big company for good money in a position of reasonable responsibility. Am I happier now than then? You bet your butt I am!! I love this job, I love having both knowledge and a practical skill.

Sorry for going on a bit, and I hope this makes sense!

Latest posts

Back