Nail Technicians Branded As Dumb!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have quite a lot I want to add to this thread, so sorry if it gets a bit long!

1) To answer Ruth, I would be in favour of CPD points especially if we could get them for attending seminars & workshops as well as courses. Basically earn them without necessarily paying for a course every time. Maybe a sliding scale of awarding them? I totally understand the issue of regulation though, and if no-one's monitoring the points what do they mean? Also, how do the public know what to look for?

Vetty
Did you read my post?

Just wanted to throw a couple logs on the (dare I say?) fire.

First, there are around 3 times more members on this site then there are paid subscribers to both UK pro magazines combined. Expecting everyone to have read the article before feeling that they could participate in the discussion (which was a discussion prompted by the article) would be odd.

CPD is essential in an industry that changes and develops like ours does. I wouldn't want to go to a manicurist that hadn't taken a course in 3 years. Who would? Let the clients go to someone committed to personal and professional development that strive to be the best they can be.

A note to everyone: What you type on here gets read more than most industry articles and publications get read (by far). Getting aggressive and defencive doesn't help your cause, it just makes you look bad. You have to ask yourself 'would I want that quoted in a magazine' before you post. That goes doubly for choosing to skip the spell checker if spelling is not your strength (I seldom ever skip it because it isn't my strength!).

Finally, I don't think the quote is all that freaky. I do not agree with it, however who cares if someone claims nail professionals are more skill centric than academic? No one likes taking tests especially more artistic/creative type of people. Isn't that saying the same thing? Sue said that fact didn't make them idiots on that I think we can all agree.

I don't actually mind taking tests ! :wink2:

What i do mind is the generalisation and stereotypes , it can do nothing but harm,and i for one want our industry to progress,for everyone to know that what we do is not only highly skilled but appreciate the fact that there is a lot of theory behind it .

I personally found the generalisation most disappointing as this is what we are working against ,even more disappointing was the fact that it was in "our industry " publication.

If it can be printed there,what chance do we have against other (freely available to the public ) media ?

Peeps reacted so badly to gmtv's coverage because it was generalising all nail technicians and giving completely the wrong impression,does this not do the same ?

I am all in favour of CPD. I think it should be on two levels, formal and informal.

The formal points or hours (depending on which measure was introduced) would be set and awarded for attending courses, seminars and other formal industry events. The organisers would sign off each attendants' CPD and points/hours, how many (if points)....depending on what the governing body decided would be awarded for each type of formal event. There should be a set minimum number of formal CPD hours/points per year.

Informal CPD would not necessarily be points based, but would cover things like reading trade press, attending trade shows, reading up in text books, networking with like minded professionals and would be logged by the individual. I think it would also be good if there were a minimum amount of informal CPD hours per month.

I think CPD is great because not only does it show our clients, employers, trainers and governing bodies that we are committed to updating and keeping fresh our skills and knowledge, it's also a way of setting ourselves goals and gives a bit of self-motivation, especially in terms of informal CPD.

I read the article and would just like to say that - No I am not academic and yes I am practical, but I realise that along with practical training comes theory, as it is always best to have some understanding of the products you are to be using on a daily basis.

In reality for me, this has meant that I scored better on practical than theory, but I think its been sinking into my head slowly and we should all at least achieve a good basic knowledge of H&S, contra indications and product chemistry etc before we start on this career, along with continued training.

Well having been away from this thread i can see a mix of opinions......... i posted this thread because for me it was the icing on the cake.... beauticians.,.... nail techs..... hairdressers and any one within this industry generally is branded as being a bit on the thick side. Seeing this just fired me up and im sorry if it has upset some of you but the majority seem to agree. that comment was worded very badly and portrays what a lot of people think about us and i hate it !!

And as for the science part i cant believe what i read .... i mean i make it my business to know the ins and outs of my products and techniques which involves a lot of hard work and science

im going to end on, that we as professional have to constantly fight this 'image' and that we deserve a bit more credit for what we do.... not what people think we do !!!

im going to end on [this point], that we as professional have to constantly fight this [dumb] 'image'

Well judging by some of the remarks made in this thread not to mention the complete lack of intelligent argument by SOME others, I think the point may be proving itself right here and for all to see.

Well judging by some of the remarks made in this thread not to mention the complete lack of intelligent argument by SOME others, I think the point may be proving itself right here and for all to see.

Exactly! O dear!

Vetty
Did you read my post?

Hi Marian

Yes I did read your post. Is your point that HABIA are already monitoring CPD points? If they do I apologise.

I'm in complete favour of continued learning in whatever format works best - anything that adds to the professionalism of our industry is a positive step.....

I don't actually mind taking tests ! :wink2:

I personally found the generalisation most disappointing as this is what we are working against ,even more disappointing was the fact that it was in "our industry " publication.

If it can be printed there,what chance do we have against other (freely available to the public ) media ?

Peeps reacted so badly to gmtv's coverage because it was generalising all nail technicians and giving completely the wrong impression,does this not do the same ?

If techs did not think that this is how they were already perceived in general, I suspect that there would not have been the backlash there has.

What has to be remembered is that however well-visited this site is, it is mostly done so by techs. How we are perceived by the general public is another matter, and this is where ill-thought of quotes and generalisations can cause the most problems - because the general public are the people who matter when it comes to their perception of us - our Clients. The people who pay our bills.

Adverse publicity in a national Womens' magazine or bad TV coverage can cause far more public prejudice than any comment made in a trade magazine or nail-related web site designed entirely for people in that profession, no matter what the demographics are.

I would argue that a trade magazine is actually the right place to air views - because we talk the same language (normally), and contentious issues can be aired without prejudice to our standing as techs as far as the general public are concerned.

To those who have brought reason and calm to this thread - thank you - even if you do not entirely agree with me - great! - at least it was well-mannered and thoughtfully written.

Maybe if I had written at length on my thoughts re the HABIA document, more people would have actually read it. At least that would have been a result in the right direction!

Today, in fact, the boss of the bar i work in part time basically said that nail technicians are stupid. one of my colleagues sister wants to be a tech and she said, 'oh no, she's far too clever for that, she'll get bored. There really isn't much too it.' i turned around and said, 'i'm a nail tech and i am very intelligent'.

I have 101/2 GCSES all grades A & B i AS at grade A and 3 A levels at 2 graded A and 1 B. I also went to uni but i left to pursue this. I must say i was quite upset. There is so much to nails than just slapping them on. I also think it can be quite scentific with all the polymers, oligmers etc.

A lot of us run our own businesses too and you have to be more than a cabbage head to run a successful one. I'm goin to show her who's the stupid one...

just wanted to add that I totally agree with Becki, Cadence Alex i do think it's important to know your products and anatomy and physiology. I think doing a little more than the 'necessary' shall we say, sorts the rest from the best.

.....What has to be remembered is that however well-visited this site is, it is mostly done so by techs. How we are perceived by the general public is another matter, and this is where ill-thought of quotes and generalisations can cause the most problems - because the general public are the people who matter when it comes to their perception of us - our Clients. The people who pay our bills....

I am not sure that this is the case now as it once was - with the fantastic linking and googling that this site gets, there are far more people who read our posts than nail technicians.

I regularly have clients who come who have googled nails and they say they get here and read.

My Yellow Pages man turned up last week and said that he had come across the Nail Geek when he moved around my website.

This is why it is even more important that we think about what we are posting and dont give the impressions that we dont want others to have.

Hey, I don't care who thinks I'm dumb. Am I wrong to think that?

I know what I do for a living, I know how much paperwork I do, I know how much study I did, I know how I managed to start a Nation wide Nail Tech Newsletter that had Memberships and Advertising space sold for very good prices, I know that I put food on my table for my kids and have their respect for what I do.

I'm content with what I do and don't need anyone's approval, they are just ignorant and that's their problem. x

Well, as editor the magazine that published the article I feel it only right to add my tuppence worth.

If a media source can not publish a range of views and opinions about the industry it serves, then that source ceases to be anything of value at all. It might as well be a PR document for how wonderful the industry is… and I’m sorry, but I didn’t become a journalist to report only one side of the story.

The whole point of the article was to debate the issue of whether CPD is a workable framework for encouraging techs to continue their learning… there are clearly those who think it is and those who think that perhaps it isn’t.

I find it odd that someone can read the article and take from it Sue Simms’s quote… I find it odd that this is the first thing that was debated in this thread and it wasn’t the much more pressing issue of where you stand on the issue of CPD that came to the fore (and so many thanks to Ruth for trying to bring the thread back to this essential point).

I see nothing wrong, whether it comes from an industry or consumer publication, in publishing someone’s opinion on a given topic – as long as that opinion is not outwardly offensive, racist or libellous (not criteria that I often come across in the world of nails, thankfully.).

In fact, I simply wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if I didn’t strive to give a cross section of views in the features I am either writing or am involved in researching. Sometimes these views will not always be ones you agree with… hell, sometimes they might really pee you off. But, I’m not going to shy away from printing something for fear that someone might not like what they read!! As long as that printed word stands in reasoned, formulated debate and it is printed in an article where plenty of differing opinions have been aired, then I am happy that I have done the job I set out to do.

I have long stopped taking things written on here about PN personally. I respect that everyone’s opinions are different and that everyone has a right to express what they think. I do, however, reserve the right to respond wherever I feel necessary and to justify my position if I think things to be clarified. And this is what this post is designed to do.

Many thanks
Kat
Editor
Professional Nails

Hi Kat, not sure why you felt you had to justify PN's position and bring this up again for of course you are absolutely right in everything you say, and anyone of any intelligence should be able to understand that.

I personally feel that this has been one of the silliest threads ever on the nail geek and was hoping it would go away!! :lol:

The first post says what the article does say and then what it doesn't say. That in turn sparks off the opportunity for a bunch to jump on and tell us all how intelligent they are and give us their school reports which no one will ever know is true or not. Then the writer joins in and wants everyone to apologize ... which of course they are not going to do. Then there was the stupidest comment of all from someone who said deeper understanding of what we do isn't really necessary as all that was NECESSARY FOR HER WAS TO put nails on!

I mean, in my opinion if anything has confirmed that nail technicians are more practical than academic (or that many are on the thick side) then it has been this entire thread.

I couldn't resist any longer in posting a response to this thread as it just doesn't seem to be going away. I think Geeg is absolutely correct in that this thread just gives credence to the perception that nail technicians are dumb.

I thought the article in question was extremely interesting and thought-provoking, with a variety of views from different sectors of the industry.

When Sue Simms mentioned that “In general nail technicians are not academically minded and do not like taking tests”, I didn’t take offence as it was a general statement and she went on to say “This does not make them idiots but their skills lie in other areas”. It is so easy to take statements out of context. Perhaps Sue could have said things differently or better (she certainly didn't use the word dumb) but I know so many academics who have no practical skills whatsoever and I think many of them would agree with this and not be so quick to take the same offence.

I consider myself a more practical person and more so the older I get and I am not ashamed of this but it is also necessary to digest the theory side of learning and not just the practical. Knowledge is power and to absorb that knowledge taking exams forces you study and grasp the information.

I think CPD is a good thing because it would recognise the time a nail technician devotes to improving their skills. I have to do a lot of things I don’t like and if taking tests makes me a more knowledgeable and therefore a better technician, I think it is more than worthwhile. However, I think that CPD points would be indicator of how serious a nail technician I am (not how good I am) but it would also help people with no knowledge of me get an idea of how seriously I take my profession which is ever-changing.

I have had to come out of my comfort zones many times since joining the nail industry and taking tests is perhaps just one. If I didn’t take the theory test I had for my Masters qualification, I sure would not have learned as much, worked as hard or retained as much information. It took me well out of my comfort zone and it is one of the most worthwhile challenges I have conquered in the nail industry. I would love to tackle the test/theory aspect again in working towards Grand Master status and thumbs up to those few who already have.

If someone is not academically minded, they need to be encouraged to undertake theory tests – not given the opportunity to avoid them which I feel is currently the case.

We as nail technicians are always trying to improve our profile outside the industry but we sure are not going to achieve that by side-stepping necessities or having professional requirements made easy for us.

I couldn't resist any longer in posting a response to this thread as it just doesn't seem to be going away. I think Geeg is absolutely correct in that this thread just gives credence to the perception that nail technicians are dumb.

I thought the article in question was extremely interesting and thought-provoking, with a variety of views from different sectors of the industry.

When Sue Simms mentioned that “In general nail technicians are not academically minded and do not like taking tests”, I didn’t take offence as it was a general statement and she went on to say “This does not make them idiots but their skills lie in other areas”. It is so easy to take statements out of context. Perhaps Sue could have said things differently or better (she certainly didn't use the word dumb) but I know so many academics who have no practical skills whatsoever and I think many of them would agree with this and not be so quick to take the same offence.

I consider myself a more practical person and more so the older I get and I am not ashamed of this but it is also necessary to digest the theory side of learning and not just the practical. Knowledge is power and to absorb that knowledge taking exams forces you study and grasp the information.

I think CPD is a good thing because it would recognise the time a nail technician devotes to improving their skills. I have to do a lot of things I don’t like and if taking tests makes me a more knowledgeable and therefore a better technician, I think it is more than worthwhile. However, I think that CPD points would be indicator of how serious a nail technician I am (not how good I am) but it would also help people with no knowledge of me get an idea of how seriously I take my profession which is ever-changing.

I have had to come out of my comfort zones many times since joining the nail industry and taking tests is perhaps just one. If I didn’t take the theory test I had for my Masters qualification, I sure would not have learned as much, worked as hard or retained as much information. It took me well out of my comfort zone and it is one of the most worthwhile challenges I have conquered in the nail industry. I would love to tackle the test/theory aspect again in working towards Grand Master status and thumbs up to those few who already have.

If someone is not academically minded, they need to be encouraged to undertake theory tests – not given the opportunity to avoid them which I feel is currently the case.

We as nail technicians are always trying to improve our profile outside the industry but we sure are not going to achieve that by side-stepping necessities or having professional requirements made easy for us.

Thank goodness a voice of reason and so articulately put!! Rep for this one and well deserved.

I agree that the person who wrote the article should have been alot more 'articulate' themselves.

I don't see why nail technicians should be made to feel inferior to anyone - journalists can be equally as damaging in their own industry, and I would have expected better wording!

I agree that the person who wrote the article should have been alot more 'articulate' themselves.

I don't see why nail technicians should be made to feel inferior to anyone - journalists can be equally as damaging in their own industry, and I would have expected better wording!

Sue isn't a journalist. However I think for the article to be discussed properly it would have been better to quote it from the start, and mention what it was all about. We could only respond to the initial question of nail techs being branded as dumb.

Latest posts

Back