Nail Techs Waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skin_N_Nails

Reaction score
Im a current nail tech student. Our teacher and some of the students researched the Nail Techs can actually get certified in waxing if they get the proper 8 hour training in school. This blows my mind 8 hours! 8 hours!!!!!!! That doesnt even seem close to being enough to being able to wax any part of the body. So my question is did any of you (nail techs) learn waxing in school? And do you feel that the 8 hour training was enough?

P.S. I also am a lisenced esthetician so i already know how to wax but even now i still have trouble learning to get waxing down pat.

Iv not heard of that but it dosnt suprise me at all these days.I qaulified in June for a nail technician and signed on another 11mth beauty course in September so i could do waxing aswell as i would nt feel comfortable doing a 8 hrs training session at all.Started it in september and we will be learning waxing after xmas now we have just about hair etc n growth xx

I don't think that any initial training is ever long enough. So, I take all courses to be learning the basics, as nothing beats working on live clients in a work/salon situation.

Then, once you've done that course, you need to commit to learning as much as you can by reading, watching, surfing the net and practising on models or starting as a junior. Then, once you know for sure that nails or waxing or whatever, is the area that you want to work in.............then you book yourself in for more training with a mentor who really knows what is required in the real world and not in a college situation.

So, I think that either long college courses or short private course are fine JUST to give you a taster. Before anyone starts screaming about how they spent two years learning waxing............I'm not putting that form of training down at all. My point is that I'm conacted by countless numbers of therapists who did just that and they are scared of waxing or they just can't get it right.

So, in answer to your question. Yes, you can learn the pratical basics in 8hrs for sure but you would need to study the theory at home. Then, once you've practised on models, you need to book yourself in for another day with an expert so they can watch you closely and then teach you tips and tricks and get you waxing like a real pro. xxx

Ok thanks both of you for your input.

i done my vtct waxing course at a fe college and the course was 18 weeks long

waxing takes lots and lots of practice so i doubt your confidence would be on a high after only 8 hours of training

Yes, I did waxing while attending college for nails. Where I'm from it's quite a normal thing for techs and hairdressers to do. It's what eventually led me to undertake a beauty course.

My course, however, was much longer than eight hours. The theory was extensive and the waxing itself done in stages as there was much to cover in terms of type of waxes used, why and how etc. While I found it fascinating, it was quite full on and the hands on phase was intense.

What concerns me about this eight hour course is that it's not hard to actually wax someone, it's not hard to really, truly hurt them either. It's not enough to read. You've got to learn to recognise warning signs, skin types, use the appropriate wax and technique and the only way you can get this experience is to attend a course that allows you to achieve this in a safe environment.

It almost like beauticians here (AUS) offering nails (particularly gels) they were marketed as an easy system, so the beauticians started to do them .........
with very little training ........ (afraid to let a dollar walk out the door)
and practically ruined the reputation of that system in this country.

I think that's a bit harsh, NailZoo.
Not to mention inaccurate.
The only bad reps in the beauty industry that I've seen have been earned by poor practitioners which are usually those who have not had a formal education and that includes all of us - beauticians, nail techs, beauty therapists, dermal clinicians, piercers and tattooists, not just one section.

Last edited:
I think that's a bit harsh, NailZoo.
Not to mention inaccurate.
The only bad reps in the beauty industry that I've seen have been earned by poor practitioners which are usually those who have not had a formal education and that includes all of us - beauticians, nail techs, beauty therapists, dermal clinicians, piercers and tattooists, not just one section.

Kelpie, please try not to be so sensitive, my comment was not aimed at you, it's an observation based on many years of experience.

It's not harsh, when it's the truth, I've been in the industry since 86, seen many things come and go, saw the massive introduction of gels to Australia (many companies aimed the selling of gels to Beauticians (not trained in nails) as an easy system to use to add as a service). The companies never trained them "they showed them", and they bought it.

I understand some people are multi-capable (doing beauty, hair, nails) etc ...... but many are not.

Training would have to be the key, not just adding a service because there are a vast amount of services that can be under the same umbrella.

If a person is trained, by all means go ahead, but if you are doing it (not you personally, I'm generalising) because you're frightened to let a buck walk out the door, think again.

Because when you do crap nails on someone in a beauty salon, more than likely they will be too embarrassed to come back to you for any other services.

So by doing not so good nails on an existing client, you stand the risk of loosing them as a client altogether... So instead of thinking you are gaining a client, in effect, you will lose one.

Beauticians doing gels here caused a backlash against that particular system.

This is an example of a scenario .... not a personal attack, so please don't try and make it into one.:)

Going a bit of thread here, at the moment I'm witnessing a backlash against lash extensions and spray tans (there are many not good at either of them).

Clients coming in with knotted lashes, bald lashes and others looking like streaky Tandoori chickens.

As a nailtech, I sit and talk to clients an hour at a time and they often bitch about services they have had and don't like anymore, they also tell all their friends.

Although I agree with what Nailzoo has written (I have seen way too much of this myself), I also think that with proper training, there should be no reason why a nailtech could not also become a waxer.

I took my nail technology course first, then went back to for my esthetics license because I loved the waxing portion of the course. I am a fully licensed esthetician, however, I only specialize in nails, pedicures and waxing.

That being said, I do not think that an 8 hour class is going to give you the necessary training to introduce waxing to your list of services. You must take a proper waxing course, it's not as easy as a one day seminar.... I have seen and heard too many wax horror stories (from people that are actually trained and still don't know what they are doing). Good, extensive training is a must!!

Not at all sensitive sweetie! I just posted a reply in response to being fair to everyone in the industry rather than blackballing one section. I thought I made that quite clear in my earlier post. If I didn't then please allow me to clarify further. That you feel it has become a personal attack is your view alone. I just don't think it's fair to malign beauticians with your perspective being touted as fact. If it's your experience, then simply say so:

In my view it appears that beauticians....blah blah blah.

Not:

Beauticians doing gels caused a backlash to that particular system.

The first is an opinion, the other purports fact. And if the latter is fact then be prepared to back that up. Being an Australian myself working in the Australian market, I have not seen this so I find your statement to be untrue and, more importantly unfair. There is no emotion attached to this as you imply, just a bigger picture which you seem to have misunderstood.

I have seen plenty of hack jobs done by backyard nail techs. Doesn't mean I go and malign every nail tech in the industry by saying Sydney is full of bad nail techs, do I? There be my point. We are here to support each other not to bad mouth other skill sets because of a few occasions we have lived through. It's a big world out there and there are many beauticians who do a damn fine job of nails. Likewise there are many nail techs out there who do a damn fine job of waxing.

If you read my post again you will see that I cite a good education by all practitioners as being imperative to the industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all sensitive sweetie! I just posted a reply in response to being fair to everyone in the industry rather than blackballing one section. I thought I made that quite clear in my earlier post. If I didn't then please allow me to clarify further. That you feel it has become a personal attack is your view alone. I just don't think it's fair to malign beauticians with your perspective being touted as fact. If it's your experience, then simply say so:

In my view it appears that beauticians....blah blah blah.

Not:

Beauticians doing gels caused a backlash to that particular system.

The first is an opinion, the other purports fact. And if the latter is fact then be prepared to back that up. Being an Australian myself working in the Australian market, I have not seen this so I find your statement to be untrue and, more importantly unfair. There is no emotion attached to this as you imply, just a bigger picture which you seem to have misunderstood.

I have seen plenty of hack jobs done by backyard nail techs. Doesn't mean I go and malign every nail tech in the industry by saying Sydney is full of bad nail techs, do I? There be my point. We are here to support each other not to bad mouth other skill sets because of a few occasions we have lived through. It's a big world out there and there are many beauticians who do a damn fine job of nails. Likewise there are many nail techs out there who do a damn fine job of waxing.

If you read my post again you will see that I cite a good education by all practitioners as being imperative to the industry.

Thats cool, I guess my years in the industry VS your years in the industry ... (not competative, merely as an observer).

Perhaps I have seen a little more in my 22 years than you have in your time.

Latest posts

Back