Nail techs who wear Shellac - does acetone dull them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphine

Reaction score
I'm just asking as I'm about to put Shellac on myself for the first time, and I was wondering if any of you got a dulling effect if you get exposed to acetone when you're working?

I'm just thinking of when I remove client's polish. I still hold the cotton pad under my fingers away from my nails, but I still wanted to know if anyone was having trouble with this.

Thanks!

No I've not had a prob , even when doing L&P removals :) it takes a while for the "tinny tunnles" to absorb the acetone to dull it :)

If your really worryed you could use hands down pads witch are plastic backed ,

I've not had a problem either. I've even split acetone on my shellac and it's not dulled. You seem to adapt your way of working to be aware of your own nails. I've used the hands down wipes which are fab. But manage perfectly fine with lint free wipes.

No problem here with acetone. It's filing that dulls the finish for me. :) Just the way I hold the file, I guess. But I'd rather scratch up and dull my own manicure than scrape clients' skin, so I'm okay with it. :)

Great!! Thanks everyone!

I just want to show Shellac off, and would feel bad wearing it if I'd scuffed it up and dulled it :(

Can't wait to put it on... I might actually get a chance tonight!

Great!! Thanks everyone!

I just want to show Shellac off, and would feel bad wearing it if I'd scuffed it up and dulled it :(

Can't wait to put it on... I might actually get a chance tonight!

Remember 'thin to win'. You will adore it. I have now used several of the thin coloured gels on the market (on myself) and found a large difference in the 'feel' of them on my nails and the 'look' as well.

One thing I love about Shellac is that there is no shrinkage and of course no heat (although I didn't feel any excess heat with other brands I was aware of some warmth on curing the base coat of one in particular). I did experience shrinkage with the thin colour gels which I don't like and I did not find the gloss top coat as durable nor the coating as strong as Shellac. They did perform in that they stayed on but just didn't look as beautiful to me. Each to their own.

I have got acetone on my nails a few times whilst working and it seems to dull the shellac for a minute or two and then as if by magic the shine comes right back to it's original high gloss - LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!

I was transfer some acetone to a smaller container today and spilt acetone all over my Shellac nails.....They still look as good as ever.

I even had a cheeky friend try to use her natural nail to scrape the Shellac off mine. She used so much force I was sure the product would move. It didn't.

She managed to leave a print of her nail in the middle of the Shellac. About half an hour later I was showing another friend when I noticed the print has disappeared! It's magic I tell you!!

Latest posts

Back