Nails Networking & adding friends & competition?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Sooooo sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wondered what people's opinions were and what their practices were.

Many of us have Facebook accounts and add nail techs from all over. We share ideas and information and tips & tricks without a thought.
And quite honestly, I'm VERY HAPPY to do so, and share with others the same as some have shared with me. I have MANY MANY techs on my friend's list.

HOWEVER given how it is in Quebec/Canada, I feel sometimes less inclined (in some cases) to share.
(if you're unaware of the state of affairs, here it is in a nutshell: ZERO Standards for minimum requirements to 'work' as a technician and ZERO standards for minimum qualifications to 'teach' other technicians. NSS is not only the chop shops, it's technicians working in regular salons as well EVERYWHERE. See my blog for further info).

So, sometimes when someone wants to add my business profile on FB, and they are 'local', I look at pictures of their work. When their pictures look like they didn't even take a course, I'm less inclined to add them.
I know we should NOT judge by pictures alone, but I figure considering how many pictures I've seen on here by newbie techs and remembering my own original work... I would like to think I know the difference between work with benefit of basic course and work without (by a hobbyist or other).
Also, given all the hours of research and work I've put into everything, I don't feel particularly 'generous' giving it to someone who appears to not care about proper education.
Until today, I added everyone despite my reservations.
BUT got a friend request this afternoon... by someone I feel hasn't had the benefit of proper courses.

I ask myself "why would I want to give neighboring NSS help competing against my business'??

Those of you on FB, how do you handle this? How do you feel about adding techs that might be NSS?
How do you feel about adding ANY neighboring tech that would be your direct competition in business?

Some of my competitors are my friends in real life. It depends on what basis you compete. I only compete on quality, not on price etc, and my friends who have salons respect my work. So I don't find my neighbouring competitors a threat at all. We mostly are supportive of each other.None of us want to work for peanuts, so we dont discount, and we dont poach each others staff.

I really don't feel threatened at all. Having said that I wouldn't just add anyone either.

I have been in this game for a long time and I pride myself on a full book with some waiting for me to have the time to do them. I keep my clients happy and would probably class around 90% as friends now having had them for years now. I do give generously of information and time but I need to see an effort being made by the other person.

I think it is down to you and how you feel about things really, there is no right or wrong way really, just do what you feel comfortable doing! :green:

I have a 'like' page, so dont control who likes my page. I know I have local competition on there but I dont mind.

My page is open to public and so I dont 'teach' as such on there, I like to share facts when I can come up with them but I only share on the page things I would share with any client in an appointment.
I think its ok if competition see's this as if it educates them in any way and they go on to educate their own clients using something they have learnt from me, it can only do the industry better in the long run right!? A better educated client is a better client.

I'm also in my opinion still a newbie so would be chuffed if someone learnt anything from me!!

I can see your reservations but I think anyone doing nails without training will struggle to benefit properly, they may read all the knowledge in the world but it cant beat hands on proper training.
Then to get to producing a high standard of nails like your own will take them lots more practice besides! :hug:

Maybe I didn't explain myself very well.
It's not about 'feeling threatened' because I don't, not by a long shot.

It's about letting possible "NSS" reap the benefits of all my hard work, and 'helping' them. That's what has me concerned.
Why would I want to help someone looking for shortcuts who doesn't care about quality or etc?

Because there are 3 techs not so far from me that I've shared stuff with and offered to help etc...BUT I KNOW they want to learn and they are NOT NSS.

Then to get to producing a high standard of nails like your own will take them lots more practice besides! :hug:

Now I wanna smoochie you! :hug: thanks!

The way I feel about it, is if my competitors want to be more like me, it is a massive compliment, but we all have a maximum standard that we can reach. If they put you on the pedestal then it simply reinforces the perception that you are the best in the area.

A good friend also has a chain of salons in my area. He loves getting my juniors as he feels a little "pixie dust" rubs off on them, and they are a little bit of my work.
I don't feel in any way threatened by him. I would love to have as many salons as him, he would love salons like mine.

Keep your eyes on what YOU are doing, not what others are doing. If you feel uncomfortable about the face book thing, stop giving advice on it.

I help and advise young hairdressers everyday, does that make them my competitor? no.
Will they acheive what I did? I hope so.

"ZERO Standards for minimum requirements to 'work' as a technician and ZERO standards for minimum qualifications to 'teach' other technicians" is a horrible environment to have a business in, especially when you are a competent technician.

However, I would suggest that the more a technician (who hasn't been trained) immerses themself into an environment where standards are very high, it can only help them improve and want to be trained. When there are no regulations to encourage them to train, perhaps it's up to the trained professionals to encourage them? Maybe, by seeing what a true technician can do, they'll want to get education for themselves, and raise their own standards.

Maybe, by seeing what a true technician can do, they'll want to get education for themselves, and raise their own standards.

I hadn't thought of it that way... THANKS!

Which is pretty odd, considering that it was whilst seeing what techs on THIS site can do that I found inspiration and the need to 'grow' and further my education

DOH I'm so scatterbrained sometimes.

I think anyone who takes pictures of their work, and seeks out to add other nail techs isn't really NSS. They obviously want to better themselves. And you never know, they could be students for you to market to.

And I know how bad it feels when someone ignores your friend request, when it's someone you admire. I've been snubbed lately by an artist I really admire, and it hurts my feelings :cry:. I'm sure she has her reasons, but I'm not commenting on her pretty pictures anymore :lol:

I think anyone who takes pictures of their work, and seeks out to add other nail techs isn't really NSS. They obviously want to better themselves. And you never know, they could be students for you to market to.

And I know how bad it feels when someone ignores your friend request, when it's someone you admire. I've been snubbed lately by an artist I really admire, and it hurts my feelings :cry:. I'm sure she has her reasons, but I'm not commenting on her pretty pictures anymore :lol:

I hear what you're saying, and I do understand. And this is why I struggle with this dilemma (and yes, I am struggling with this)
But I think you'd have to work in this climate and see what I see DAILY to get a real appreciation for my frustration levels. I'm not saying everyone is NSS.... but let me put it this way...I've seen newbie work here on geek. I've seen newbie work of my own (that looking back was TERRIBLE hahaha)... I've seen newbie work in my own town.
The work I see that I'm referring to... can't be anything BUT NSS (meaning not educated, and teaching themselves using pharmacy or flea-bay products because they are trying to cheat the system). And yes, they could be potential students. But to my mind, if they're choosing to go the route they have, then they won't want me anymore than they wanted to attend another school in the first place. Especially, since I'm determined to go through a 'school' or 'company' and get accredited so then I'll be more expensive than any one of the 100's of mickey-mouse 'teachers' listed in online-classifieds or newspapers.

Are there good teachers out there? YES. But it would be easier to find a needle in a haystack.

I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt. That kind of sucks. I'm really going to have to rethink this FB thing.

Part of me LOVES helping people. It's like "yaaaayyy I can give back what I received" or "yaaay I'm actually good enough to help"

The other part of me is tied up in knots because of the nail climate here.
I turned down teaching someone one time, not just because I'm not accredited but because I KNEW she was buying stuff off of Ebay and just wouldn't believe anything I said in that regard and she couldn't accept that MMA was 'bad'. She wanted to know where she could get it:eek:.
I'm NOT kidding!!

I feel like you're reading too much into this. Facebook is what it is. It's about connecting with others, sharing your pictures and interests. Have you thought about adjusting your privacy settings so that only people you have accepted can see your pictures and posts? Maybe decide what info you want to share with those who you aren't so sure about. I'm horrible for posting pictures to Facebook myself, so many of my pics are from when I first started...so maybe some of the people sending friend requests are procrastinators like me :green:

Everyone has to start somewhere, and as a Canadian tech, it's hard. We have no licensing requirements and anyone can pick up a brush and some cheap product, but the cream will always rise to the top.

I found I learned the most from studying other techs pictures, videos and used industry forums to make up for the lack of proper training I received in my course. If it weren't for those techs sharing their skill and pictures, I don't think my nails would be where they are today or where they will in another year.

I have it set that only those on the friend's list of that profile can see anything (because I've already been plagiarized 3 times...) and I know a few other techies too, that have been plagiarized.

As I said, I'm in a conundrum.
I love networking and sharing ideas, I love the giving and taking because that very sharing of information is what made me who I am today AND will continue to contribute to my future.
I also STRONGLY BELIEVE that making education and information available is the only way to better the industry.

Maybe I think too hard and too much, analyzing everything to death.

But think of it this way: when someone joins geek site and wants troubleshooting, and they have absolutely NO INTENTION of taking a proper course.. what usually happens?
They are told that no, we won't troubleshoot until such time as they are IN a course of have completed one.
We tell them that it would be irresponsible of us to advise them to use products they aren't sufficiently educated to use...etc etc.. You get my point.

SO what is the difference between that, and 'adding' someone to your friend's list whom you suspect to be exactly as stated above who will make use of your articles etc???

Do you see my conundrum now?

My offers etc where also plagarised a couple of times by new techs I knew, also. I deleted these people my problem was with over 1500 friend list they had there spys so to speak.

I now don't have a face book as I feel it gets abused and also don't need hassle as I find clients are pain the ones I have aqquired of fb, all my regs are not of there anyhows. I now feel so much better after removing myself from fb. Xxx

I have to agree with katiebbaby, facebook is intrusive on ppls lives no matter if you have privacy settings. I had a client who knew what i was up to evry weekend coz of it!!

Im great friends with all my competiors but draw a fine line to exactly what i do to comparing what they do, ie they're legit and cool, i have no problems sharing jokes about clients etc. Looking out for each other and giving away important information that you've paid hundreds of ££ for...to an extent can always get into the wrongs hands and low and behold end up becoming legisation.

The best thing about this site is the login, but not essentially knowing whos lurking around to find all the information, that we professionals do to lean on each other.

I think fb and networking on many sites are good, but you allow yourself to a certian extent to become vunerable by giving out lil golden nuggets of infomation. Which all these scam artists need to know, and by helping someone via tutorial. IMO i have my reservations on fb as its great to help people giving out knowledge but when you suffer from the consequences, its not worthwhile, limit what you put on. Protect your brand, protect you! xoxo

well... as long as you are not handing out information on how to do nails or have pictures of step-by-steps in your albums i don´t think they can take advantage of your knowledge and skills.
They can only see what they are up against by looking at your pictures if they are your local competitors or collegues => depends how you look at it. No harm done by that.

I think fb is great to meet other nailtechs and see other peoples work. It could happen that someones uses an idea or design but i know i don´t really care when that happens.
It all makes you grow as a nailtech cause you get inspired and stimulates you to do better.

BUT if this issue keeps your mind to much occupied then dont do it. its not worth the worries in the end.

I hope we still stay friends on facebook now lol :green:

I hope we still stay friends on facebook now lol :green:

LOL Of course we will :) :hug:
The only friend requests I have denied to date was A) their privacy was set so that I couldn't even see who it was asking B) their 'wall' was another language entirely and not a spot of english anywhere... so if we can't converse, what's the point?

Latest posts

Back