Nails not your full time job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's amazing how many people don't do nails full time isn't it.

Ideally I'd like to do nails 1 maybe 2 nights a week and then maybe 1 or 2 appointments on a Saturday but maybe just every other Saturday - not very hard to please am I !!!!

One thing I did discover being part time is that I could not choose my hours as I needed the extra money so I couldn't say for eg. I want to work every other Saturday, you know what I mean?

If you treat your business as a hobbie, so will your clients and then you'll be lucky if you get any regulars (bread and milk money). Just speaking from experience!!!

Look at all these ppl that work full time! WOW!

I work full time as an IT Support Analyst and my job is very stressful.

I was doing nails at evenings and w/ends, but as I still take ages to do a set and cos I wasn't getting time to eat between finishing my day job and seeing a client I started getting shakey hands with low blood sugar from hunger, this was when I was about to apply the L&P as well!

In the end it all came to a head a few weeks back when I had the worst appt. ever and the hours, hunger and conditions got on top of me and I burst in to tears! It was then I vowed to no longer do evenings as it was wearing me in to the ground.

I think that once I am quicker and if I can work from one of the spare rooms at home then I will be able to change this.... But for now I am just doing w/ends.

I guess I'm fortunate in that I don't actually need to earn from doing nails at the moment, as long as I earn enough to buy new products etc.

People keep saying, if you only do it as a hobby people will take advantage of that.....so those of you that do work full time and do nails evenings/weekends how do you prevent your clients thinking of you in this way?

Hi Fluffy!

I moved to Spain last October, I could see there wasn't many nail techs (compared to uk) out here so I started training 2 years ago in the uk ready for my move here. In the uk I ran a pub company and did nails whenever I could to get plenty of practice in, luckily I had plenty of models from the pubs!
Now I am doing nails in between renovating our villa, last week I was showing my customers how my acrylics looked so fab considering I had just grouted my living room floor!!
It has been slow to start here as I am battling with the language but most of my clients are english.
If you are committed enough to produce the best nails you can I think you can always find time somewhere!!
Good luck!
Lou

Well my clients know (as it always comes up in conversation) that I resigned from a full time job to do this full time and they appreciate that. Alot of them ask me if it's hard and I say yes but I enjoy the challenge. So I always sound very positive about what I do and they seem to respect that in me and not mess me about. I also make a point of telling them that if they need to cancel or re-appoint to give me at least 24 hours notice as I am mobile and can't afford a wasted journey. I am firm with them and always remain very professional (things like wearing a uniform is so important) to show them that I expect to be taken seriously.

Hope this helps!

Well where do i start

I'm a mum to my 4 year old daughter, work part time at the local hospital as a sterile technician, i'm also a debt collector and do nails the rest of the time. Would love to nails full time but at the moment its just not possible, but hopefully in the future i can.

Fluffy said:
Is there anyone else out there who doesn't do nails as their full time job? I work as a legal secretary in the city but just really fancied learning how to do nails. I just wondered if there was anyone else out there in the same situation as me. How many clients do you have? When do you find time for your clients?

I work full time in a college and have 4 kids and I'm doing a college course. I have about 3 or 4 clients a week at the moment. I book clients for Thursday evenings and Saturdays. If any of them can't make those days I will change them if I can. Its hard work but I am hoping to go part time in admin and see how many more clients I can get before quitting my admin job.

Fluffy said:
Is there anyone else out there who doesn't do nails as their full time job? I work as a legal secretary in the city but just really fancied learning how to do nails. I just wondered if there was anyone else out there in the same situation as me. How many clients do you have? When do you find time for your clients?

Hi ya!

I'm a Legal Secretary to!

Working part time at the mo i have clients all weekend when i'm off on holiday and a couple of an evening.

I try to fit them in when i can when i was working full time i done nails of an evening and weekend.

I have about 8 Clients now so i'm not really that busy.

glittergirl said:
Hi ya!

I'm a Legal Secretary to!

Working part time at the mo i have clients all weekend when i'm off on holiday and a couple of an evening.

I try to fit them in when i can when i was working full time i done nails of an evening and weekend.

I have about 8 Clients now so i'm not really that busy.

I qualified in my legal sec Ilex cert about 6 years ago, do you know if the certificate has to be renewed after so long as I never went into legal sec work since I have had the cert?

I have just tried to pm you but your inbox is too full. :D

I did my ILEX Diploma and as far as i am aware its only legal exec certs you need to renew so you should be okay why not give ILEX a call if you don't have the number let me know and i'll dig it out for you.

I've emptied my PM Box now lol

I used my job to furnish clients. While working in the office I let fellow colleagues know that I was training and a lot of them were my models. This led to word of mouth quickly spreading and I ended up with further practise opportunities. When I ventured into charged services, I delegated myself one day - Saturday - and completely devoted myself to it. I had a menu, business cards, vouchers and appointment cards printed and adopted a colour scheme which I matched with my uniform and embroidered the name of my business on that uniform. I made sure people knew I was serious and my services were treated accordingly.

Everywhere I went, I carried a few cards with me, just in case. And it worked. Bank was a classic example as there'd always be a teller with shoddy nails. I'd gasp and ask her where she got her nails done. Then, when conversation got started, I'd slip her a card with a little referral discount offer on the back and voila, two new clients (because she'd usually bring a friend).

When I was making the same money as my day gig, I quit my day gig. Yes, I make more money now but when you compare it to the other responsibilities I now have - taxation, equipment upkeep, supplies etc then I'd say it evens out but the one aspect I do relish is that I AM MY OWN BOSS. Yeah! :Love:

I work full time - nails part time!

I work in a warehouse, drive a fork-lift truck and a lorry!(what that grease! Eeeh!)

I am being made redundant at the end of the year(whoopee!) and hope to do nails full time then!

Any other men do nails part time? (now where's that hand cream?)

i work part time in an insurance brokers, mornings 9 - 1.30. Usually dont have time between lunch and the children finishing school to fit any clients in so my 1st available appointment is 3.30. I find that most of my clients want to come about 6 which is bang on dinner time/ hubby getting home but beggars cant be choosers right? lol

I dont do mobile anymore as I was fed up with people smoking/ making cups of tea/ not being ready etc... now I work from my spare room at home which is great, but I would much rather be renting space in a salon! I have 2 children who are great when I am doing nails, its their friends knocking/ dog barking etc etc that winds me up when I am trying to be 'proffesional'. Also the house has to be spotless just incase someone wants to come at short notice (it never is) and I usually end up running round like a headless chicken at the last minute!

I am scared to give up the day job as I dont have many clients, at least I know what I will be getting at the end of the month at the moment, but the more money I plough in to training and products, the more I want to really go for it.

Ive been thinking about renting space maybe a couple of days a week to start with and easing myself in gently, but that wouldnt work as you need to be there full time I think incase someone needs a repair or whatever..... I love that I dont have to pay rent etc at the moment but I dont really push my advertising as there is a salon at the end of the road who would probably stick their noses in if they thought I was working from home.....

Its catch 22!!! been over and over it and still cant come up with the right answer!! anyone else got any suggestions (or job offers??? lol) xx

i work full time at a printers, i absolutley hate it...its depressing! so i am dong my best to leave...i have a stupid whopping loan to pay off before i can go so hopefully it will be gone by xmas (and yes i have learnt my lesson on overspending lol)... i "do" nails part time which i love but i do need more training thats what im working on at the moment.
i am going to work from home/mobile when my extension is finished in a few months so fingers crossed i will get some more clients...lol
i have decided not to leave my job in the first instance but maybe work 3 days instead of 5 and if that works i will leave after that....its scary though when you have worked for so long just to up and leave but i think it has to be done!

i'm so jealous of you who are doing nails and beauty all day long...it makes me realise how crappy my job is lol
good luck to all you just starting up like me hope it will be worth it in the end!

My nails is apart time job but on top of nails, I work 28 hrs at my part time job, as well as bringing up my little baby boy and also being a wife and managing the house work in between.

I am pretty busy but i seem to manage it all well

Im a full time single mummy too, want to get on an nvq course in february on which i will get free childcare 2 days a week so i can do one day a week work then, and after that i want to work part time, probably in a salon.

i am at college doing my A levels and work at a co op part time then i go freelance doing nails and beauty at weekends.

really hard work

Wow, what a great post!

I work full-time as an IT User Support Assistant (whatever that means!), and I'm doing nails at evenings & weekends.

Business is a little slow at the moment, but since the ad in the Yellow Pages came out, it's starting to pick up a little now :D

I also have a 3 year old & 4 year old, which take up the rest of my time..

Anna F

Latest posts

Back