Nails not your full time job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffy

Reaction score
Is there anyone else out there who doesn't do nails as their full time job? I work as a legal secretary in the city but just really fancied learning how to do nails. I just wondered if there was anyone else out there in the same situation as me. How many clients do you have? When do you find time for your clients?

HI,

Im a full time mummy!!! Stay at home bringing our beautiful baby boy up!

I am just in process of advertising myself, so the clients that i do have i do in an evening or at weekend(as hubbie works!).

Louise x

Hi Fluffy,

I just recently left my full time job at the end of April to take on my business full time. I used to be mobile on weekends and in the evenings during the week. I had more cancellations and no shows because my clients knew it was a part time thing and they treated my appointments as if it was my hobbie and it wasn't, I was trying to build a client base and earn an extra income. But if you do this thing part time expect "part time clients". Who knows you may have better luck than me!! I used to work sometimes until 23:00 at night, still do, but my hours are flexible now, so if I want an hour off or the evening off, I can take it when I want.

I used to get home at 18:30 from work, change and rush out to do someones nails, it's hard going because I had to get home and make dinner at say 21:00. Thank goodness I don't have children I would never have found the time to do this thing part time.

So I decided to take a leap of faith with basically no clientele and do this full time, it's picking up now and my clients seem to be a bit more serious about their appointments as they know it's my only income.

Hope this helps somehow, don't know how the other Geeks manage.

xxxx

Hi Fluffy,

I'm in full time employment as a PA to two Directors ! My hours are long and hard, but I really enjoy the challenges that get thrown at me everyday.

I'm intending to go mobile on a part time basis (i.e. evenings and weekends) to see how things go. I suppose I'm a bit gutless when it comes to just saying "Fine, I'll quit my job and do nails full time". I suppose having a huge mortgage and other debts are also preventing me from doing it, as I feel I would never be able to earn the money I earn now just by doing nails.

However, I don't see why I can't have the best of both worlds, doing nails and being a PA ......

Hi

I was made redundant and I have just attended Day 4 of my course. I am too am scared of going out into the big world of nails full time, so I have signed on with some agencies. I have 2 assignments with 1 of them. So I will be weaning myself in gently.

Gina

Hiya
I work part-time for my local council as a Research and Information Officer.
I have at least 1 appointment every evening and a few on Saturdays. My appointments are mainly for gel enhancements. I am also doing a Beauty Therapy Course, so I am beginning to do beauty treatments on close friends at the mo, until I qualify at the end of June.
I get home everyday (except Monday as I have college) at about 3:30pm. I tidy up, we have tea, then I start appointments at about 5:30pm every night.
My dream is to quit my office job but its an affordability issue at the moment. Hopefully, one day soon.... The good thing about working in the office is that I get lots of ladies who are interested in my nail services. So far, I've gained 5 ladies as clients from work.
HTH

Hi ya, im also a full time legal secretary in a solicitors, and do nails when i can part time, it is hard to build up a good clientele especially if you cant dedicate yourself to it constantly like me, but i try and do it evenings and weekends, it is hard as im finding recently im doing too much and getting really run down but am thinking about taking it a little easier, but hopefully it will all pay off in the long run x

It's interesting what you say about your clients not taking you seriously when you only do nails part time. I will bear that in mind.

At the moment I don't intend to give up my full time job but maybe one day. I just want to ensure that I have enough clients ticking along so that I keep my hand in on the nail side of things. At the moment I'm only doing friends, I could maybe manage 2 other clients but anything more than that would be pushing it a bit timewise at the moment.

Fluffy said:
It's interesting what you say about your clients not taking you seriously when you only do nails part time. I will bear that in mind.

At the moment I don't intend to give up my full time job but maybe one day. I just want to ensure that I have enough clients ticking along so that I keep my hand in on the nail side of things. At the moment I'm only doing friends, I could maybe manage 2 other clients but anything more than that would be pushing it a bit timewise at the moment.

I do know where your coming from, i try and dedicate a few evenings after work to maybe just one client an evening and then saturday or sunday morning, it is hard but you also have to think about yourself and try not to do too much, ive experienced that the last few weeks and am now paying for it emotionally and pyhsically x x x

Hi
I work full time for a ferry company and get different days off each week. I couldn't possibly dream of giving up my job to do nails unless I got loads of clients and it started to bring in lots of money!!

Kellyc said:
I do know where your coming from, i try and dedicate a few evenings after work to maybe just one client an evening and then saturday or sunday morning, it is hard but you also have to think about yourself and try not to do too much, ive experienced that the last few weeks and am now paying for it emotionally and pyhsically x x x

I jumped in head first. I left my job and started up for myself.

I'm a Project Manager in a software company and just doing nails part time at the moment.
Have my first ever paying Manicure client next Wed, a friend of a friend so I am chuffed about that. Also doing mini manicures at the Womans World show in the RDS the June bank holiday weekend so that will be more experience. As soon as I get my Nail Tech diploma after the exams in June (fingers crossed that all goes well) I intend to step up the advertising and do lots of evening and weekend work.

There's no way I could leave my full time job at the moment. I have no client base and I know I would definitely struggle to pay my mortgage each month. I am aiming to do this full time in the future though, when we decide to start a family I think it will be a great career move to fit in around my kiddies!

i work part-time, but i'm only doing friends and families nails at the moment.

That's exactly what I was thinking paws, when the time comes to have children it will be something to fall back on BUT in the meantime I have to make sure that I have enough clients ticking along that I don't forget everything I've been taught.

Also whilst I'm earning a pretty good wage I'm going to make the most of it and invest in lots of training.

I run my beauty room full time (well, full time ish!!! lol) I dont have another job. BUt i am applying for a full time job as its too quiet in the salon, and i think i pay too much rent. So i will get a full time job and just do my nail clients (not beauty) from home or mobile. that will give my money a nice little boost!!! and then i can FINALLY buy a nice sparkly new car and get rid of my little blue tank!! lol.

i did work full time as a receptionist then started mobile, my clients were taking over my full time job so i packed it in and set up a nail slon, i ahve since outgrown the nail salon, moved to larger premises and opened an nail & beauty salon, nail & beauty training acadamy and i also distribute some nail and beauty products!!!

Amanda

Until tomorrow I'm a full time Computer support engineer, after that I start a new job (full time also) in Project Management support.

My current job I finish at 4.30 so have clients evenings and Saturdays, the new job I won;t finish til 5.30 so will be more difficult for evening appts but will keep them up.

I intend to start working days in about 6/7 months but depends how busy baby keeps me as to how much work I'll actually get done!

I work full time as a buyer/sales Co-Ordinator.

I have been a mobile tech for just 18 months now and have just a few regular clients, as rose said my clients thought me pt time so treat me as such. At first i was working all day long, getting up 6am for my day job, and continuing until the early hour (and after 12am) with my nail clients. Also booking in client’s right through my wk ends.

I was absolutely exhausted. I moved this xmas and in Jan /Feb of this year just crashed and burnt, which was absolutely detrimental to my confidence, health and also my mental health was effected. Well i am now past the point of no return, I do not wont to go back to my main job, and am desperate to maybe rent a space, or work a couple of days in a salon to combine my mobile business until i can build my business up enough.(Any offers greatfully accepted)

I have never really had a chance in finish my main job, as i was told that because i don’t work continues 30 hours a wk doing nails there was no support or funding for me.

I applied to my local Business Link for help and advice in setting up my own nail business, with the view to finishing my day job, but to no avail.

Like most of you i could not just leave my partner take all the financial responsibility, but he has agreed to help me no matter what my decision.

So hey for my own peace of mind i need out so much i am just going to take a leap of faith in the hopes of making things work for me in the nails business.

So fingers crossed.

Never say never is my motto!

luv 'n' hugs

xxxxxxxxxxxx

This is such an interesting post - we all work really really hard and do deserve a 'geek do' soon! XX

I work for the local council and it pays well and I get childcare vouchers too so it is a hard job to give up!

I do mobile evenings and weekends and it isbuilding up VERY slowly - but to be honest I am not advertising now as I am going to blitz my area when I have done my extensions course in August.

thing is though when I have done my extensions course I have at least six people in my office who want me to maintain their extensions and now it is summer they want pedicures so I am getting most of my business from work!so giving it up is not in my plan at the moment.

I would love to have my own salon but it is such a risk and I have a little boy to look after and do not want to put him at risk for not providing for him or working too much as my job is 9-5 and no weekends! I only do one appointment per Saturday so I still get lots of time with him...

Always the way though - cannot win!

Latest posts

Back