Nailympics - where are all the UK winners?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisenewell

Reaction score
With the exception of the very talented Karina Perematko and Anna Trieu...

Where are all the winning UK Nail Technicians??

Looking thru the pages of my recent copy of scratch and being patriotic I notice that ALL the winners in The Nailympics are mainly From Hungary , Bulgaria, Russia and Italy.

So what is it about the quality of nails from these countries And/or The education and training that makes these Technicians so damn good?

Them deep smile lines,perfect apex, flawless shine,crisp pink and whites i know are what wins you points.And of course the judges have NO IDEA who the contestants are and where they are from.

There seems to be a familiar theme running thru the winners...None of them are from the UK!!

Is it that the standard of work from the UK just does not match up to whats coming out of the other winning countries??? Are we just not good enough??

I'd like to know how many UK Nail Technicians actually had the bottle,and lets face it it takes bottle,to enter.

I'd also like to research into who the winners trained with and what products/brand they are using.

Next year I am going to take the bull by the horns and enter every competition going. This year I entered at Excel for the first time in 8 years..i done WORSE this year then i did in 2007. I was half an hour late and they had already started.Next year i'm booking a hotel next door to the competition venues,lesson learnt .

Good luck! Represent for the UK! I noticed as you did that most people are European so I would be interested to hear about their training etc.

If and when I'm good enough.... In many years to come I would have the balls to enter-( I think) but only I I was sure I was good enough! Anyway I admire anybody who enters these things.

Maybe there is a real lack Of UK entrants....I'd be curious to know.

I have a list of people ,previous winners, that i want to do some one to one training with. Thats gonna be costly. I f i have to go to Hungary for a weekend away so be it!

I have a list of people ,previous winners, that i want to do some one to one training with. Thats gonna be costly. I f i have to go to Hungary for a weekend away so be it!

I had that same thought actually- why not travel to Europe and learn from the winners themselves?!
Nice trip away as well...

It's a game, Louise, and they know how to play it. They send a BIG team and points are aggregate so the biggest team wins! Simple. They have bigger teams ... I don't think their standard is any better at all ... The difference is they make a BUSINESS out of competitions which really leaves the little guys out in the cold.

There should be a UK team entry because the individual entrant hasn't got much of a chance.

We should go back to the way it used to be with smaller more regular nail shows and competions for all grades of technicians from top class to rookies.

I started and ran most of the competitions in the UK in the early days and we always had a rookie section so newbies could learn the ropes without being intimidated. They worked their way up to the top ... Ketan Patel, Liza Smith etc ... They are listed in my book.

We also did not have the cloned nail look. The nail artists had freedom of artistic expression and were not forced to turn out ugly unbalanced nails that all look the same as each other. I no longer will judge because I hate the nails I am forced to choose as the winning ones!

Marian has made some great changes recently to the competition categories to encourage newer competitors, by adding the salon nail category, which I think is marvelous. There should be more including a rookie section. IMHO

Last edited:
Great thread! Yes, where indeed are the UK winners? You will see the next Scratch I ask the same question. So few enter!

My guess is that many don't enter as they believe there is a 'winning shape' and they can't do this shape. This isn't true! The highest scores are achieved by CONSISTENCY and the shape that usually wins is so formulaic that it is easier (not easy!) to reproduce.

I was personally involved in introducing a new category this year that I hoped would encourage UK nail techs to enter as it would showcase the very best salon nails. I even persuaded the Beauty Editor of Grazia to come and judge from a consumer view point and then write about our great people. How wrong I was!

What is it that makes these visitors the winners? I'll tell you. It is total dedication! They come in a team with their team coach and it is very clear they have spent countless hours practicing, learning and perfecting their skills. They really do have a mind set similar to athletes in the Olympics. The winners are almost always in teams and the support of their coach and team spirit is fabulous.

Reading from so many people on this forum it is clear that paying for even pretty basic training is unacceptable! Therefore the level of dedication that these visitors display is totally out of the question!

Next year there will be some more new ideas that will, hopefully, encourage more UK competitors (especially as it is the Nailympics 10th anniversary!). On a different forum I have even offered to run a workshop for free for UK competitors but I'm not holding my breath that the offer will get taken up!

Good for you Louise! You go for it (and remember my offer will be there for the year if its required and enough people can be bothered to take me up on it)

So basically do you need to be in a team to win?? If so I don't see a UK team so i suppose I'll put on together..or at least research how this is done???

I did some one to one competition training with Ketan back in 2007 and ..i miss him :sad:

I always go and show Samantha and Samuel my models nails after competing . And Samuel is always honestly brutal with me. But i knew already everything he pointed out to me. Firstly my model was not the best....however i have since found one with the longest pinkest nail beds i have ever seen.My nails are "Salon" nails...and i know i have to "break" out of that mind set to get anywhere.

All the winning acrylic nails are opaque pink..overly long nail beds with the deepest smile line.An Exaggerated version of the salon nail.

It's a game, Louise, and they know how to play it. They send a BIG team and points are aggregate so the biggest team wins! Simple. They have bigger teams ... I don't think their standard is any better at all ... The difference is they make a BUSINESS out of competitions which really leaves the little guys out in the cold.

There should be a UK team entry because the individual entrant hasn't got much of a chance.

We should go back to the way it used to be with smaller more regular nail shows and competions for all grades of technicians from top class to rookies.

I started and ran most of the competitions in the UK in the early days and we always had a rookie section so newbies could learn the ropes without being intimidated. They worked their way up to the top ... Ketan Patel, Liza Smith etc ... They are listed in my book.

We also did not have the cloned nail look. The nail artists had freedom of artistic expression and isn't have to turn out ugly unbalanced nails that all look the same as each other.

Marian has made some great changes recently to the competition categories to encourage newer competitors, by adding the salon nail category, which I think is marvelous. There should be more including a rookie section. IMHO

Quite right Geeg! However, one clarification: the teams only win the team categories. The individuals in these teams are winning individually. I feel sad that there are no UK teams to challenge this but, I have to say, the team spirit they all have is wonderful to witness especially as I watch them actually compete (doing my floor judging and organising). And believe me, since I've managed to give the comp more of my time there have been more disqualifications than ever before ( with the total support of the organisers and other judges I must add)! So many competitors have said that they feel it is a really fair competition where the 'level playing field' is maintained all the way through

Great thread! Yes, where indeed are the UK winners? You will see the next Scratch I ask the same question. So few enter!

My guess is that many don't enter as they believe there is a 'winning shape' and they can't do this shape. This isn't true! The highest scores are achieved by CONSISTENCY and the shape that usually wins is so formulaic that it is easier (not easy!) to reproduce.

I was personally involved in introducing a new category this year that I hoped would encourage UK nail techs to enter as it would showcase the very best salon nails. I even persuaded the Beauty Editor of Grazia to come and judge from a consumer view point and then write about our great people. How wrong I was!

What is it that makes these visitors the winners? I'll tell you. It is total dedication! They come in a team with their team coach and it is very clear they have spent countless hours practicing, learning and perfecting their skills. They really do have a mind set similar to athletes in the Olympics. The winners are almost always in teams and the support of their coach and team spirit is fabulous.

Reading from so many people on this forum it is clear that paying for even pretty basic training is unacceptable! Therefore the level of dedication that these visitors display is totally out of the question!

Next year there will be some more new ideas that will, hopefully, encourage more UK competitors (especially as it is the Nailympics 10th anniversary!). On a different forum I have even offered to run a workshop for free for UK competitors but I'm not holding my breath that the offer will get taken up!

Good for you Louise! You go for it (and remember my offer will be there for the year if its required and enough people can be bothered to take me up on it)
That is one work shop I would have no problem getting a flight for... What an opportunity.

So basically do you need to be in a team to win?? If so I don't see a UK team so i suppose I'll put on together..or at least research how this is done???

I did some one to one competition training with Ketan back in 2007 and ..i miss him :sad:

I always go and show Samantha and Samuel my models nails after competing . And Samuel is always honestly brutal with me. But i knew already everything he pointed out to me. Firstly my model was not the best....however i have since found one with the longest pinkest nail beds i have ever seen.My nails are "Salon" nails...and i know i have to "break" out of that mind set to get anywhere.

All the winning acrylic nails are opaque pink..overly long nail beds with the deepest smile line.An Exaggerated version of the salon nail.

Ketan is still around and I'm Sure would collaborate with Marian if she asks him.

No Louise, you don't have to be in a team. Every category has individual winners. There is just an aggregate score for the teams that enter as a team and this is a separate award. But it does seem that these teams produce the level of dedication needed for the individual winners

enough people can be bothered to take me up on it)

FIRSTLY how very very flattered and honored am i that you have taken the time to post on my thread.Ever so star struck right now.:Love:

I can not believe that the industry is such that you'd wonder if people could be bothered...how sad.

Marian please send me a link to your post and i will do my best to get as many nail technicians on board..purely because training in this area is exactly what i need.I would jump at the chance

Also in regards to "teams" and team spirit i definitely could of done with lots of moral support on the day and the thought of the nailympics scares me :Scared: i must be honest.

I love competition nails - would love to attend and see how it's done!

How does one put themself forward as a model for these things, I would love to do it- got pretty long nail beds as well!

Mum - I would most certainly take you up on that. X

www.nail-ific.co.uk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

the teams only win the team categories. The individuals in these teams are winning individually.

So am i right in saying there is NO UK TEAM...oh my...

Let's put one together Geeks!!

Well thats three of us willing to attend Marians Training

How does one put themself forward as a model for these things, I would love to do it- got pretty long nail beds as well!

You son't put "yourself forward".you normally get head hunted.
Please let me see your natural nails and keep in touch..definitely.I bet there are loads of nail technicians loking

FIRSTLY how very very flattered and honored am i that you have taken the time to post on my thread.Ever so star struck right now.:Love:

I can not believe that the industry is such that you'd wonder if people could be bothered...how sad.

Marian please send me a link to your post and i will do my best to get as many nail technicians on board..purely because training in this area is exactly what i need.I would jump at the chance

Also in regards to "teams" and team spirit i definitely could of done with lots of moral support on the day and the thought of the nailympics scares me :Scared: i must be honest.

I think it was on a FB thread that was something to do with S2 but I can't remember which one.

If there are enough people willing to club together to pay for a conference room somewhere central I would be more than willing to give my time. Ketan is def still around and helps the organisers at the comp (I have to keep throwing him off the floor as he keeps talking to the competitors lol) but I'm sure he would join in. Maybe it's something Alex Fox would get involved with too!

You son't put "yourself forward".you normally get head hunted.
Please let me see your natural nails and keep in touch..definitely.I bet there are loads of nail technicians loking

I will pm you a pic!
I so think you guys should form a team- And I would be happy to model for your new team practice sessions and Marians training group sessions if you need me!

:)

Sounds like something is coming together here and I can think of quite a few more who should be contacted about joining the team and who would do it given the support! Go girls.

Latest posts

Back