Name change in order?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauramakeupart

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a make up artist, and work with some other make up artist when I need then. I was thinking of changing my business name.

I am currently Angel Make Up Artistry , which I think is a bit of a mouth full and a bit meek sounding! I was thinking of changing to L.A Make Up, as Laura anne is my name or PaintBox make up?

I quite like PaintBox Make up as it sounds quite creative. Do you think L.A MakeUp just seems like I am trying to be a bit too Hollywood style even though it is my initials? What are your thoughts? It wouldn't be a major problem for me to change my leaflets etc. Also can I change web domains for free or do I have to pay?

Many thnks for your help, It is much appreciated <3 xx

Don't hate me, but I really like your current name, though it is a bit of a mouthful. It makes me think of sprinklings of angel dust.

LA makeup is quite nice because it's your name, but it makes me think of lots of fake tan. I like Paintbox makeup, it's reminiscent of MAC and the way they use those paint tubes, and it also makes me think of a little kid getting paint all over their face.

The ideal is supposed to be as short a name as possible, so could you shorten it down to "Paintbox"?

Haha lol! I'm just not sure of it anymore. Think I'm maybe sick of typing it lol. I just feel Paintbox is quite arty and short. Yeah I do agree about tans etc with L.A !! I think I'm swaying towards PaintBox Make Up. The idea sparked when I heard another Muas business name which is smujj , I thought this sounded really nice, arty and short.

Thanks for the reply xx

Hey hun

Just to let you know l.a make up is a make up academy(i did my training with them) that is very big here in ireland and the u.s they also just opened a place in london as far as i know so might be a bit confusing for your clients. I like paintbox sounds pretty cool. Its so hard to pick a name isnt it. Good Luck X

I think you should only really change the name of a business if you really have to. Wouldnt you be negating all the work you've done marketing the name so far? And as I've said before on here, a name is so much less important than your brand as a whole.

Re-branding can be a good thing (look at how many times Pepsi have tweaked their logo slightly- but they've never changed the name) as it can freshen up your brand. And although Angel isn't the most original name in the world (and you'll struggle to think of something totally original :)) there's sooooooo much you can do with that name, using halos, angels wings...allsorts!!

Hey hun

Just to let you know l.a make up is a make up academy(i did my training with them) that is very big here in ireland and the u.s they also just opened a place in london as far as i know so might be a bit confusing for your clients. I like paintbox sounds pretty cool. Its so hard to pick a name isnt it. Good Luck X

Thanks huni. I did google it and some how missed it lol. I like paintbox better anyway :D. Yeah it is hard to pick a name but I feel much happier now! I'll change to paintbox
xx

I think you should only really change the name of a business if you really have to. Wouldnt you be negating all the work you've done marketing the name so far? And as I've said before on here, a name is so much less important than your brand as a whole.

Re-branding can be a good thing (look at how many times Pepsi have tweaked their logo slightly- but they've never changed the name) as it can freshen up your brand. And although Angel isn't the most original name in the world (and you'll struggle to think of something totally original :)) there's sooooooo much you can do with that name, using halos, angels wings...allsorts!!

Yeah I really don't like it. I'm totally fed up with it tbh! Plus all my clientelle are on my bebo fb etc so they are easily notified. I am going to get a designer to do a rebrand for me. (I have an idea in my head) lol! I think in this case it's a positive move. Quite frankly my branding etc is boring and not everything is matched up, so I would like to relaunch it. Maybe I'm crazy but I feel it's a good move. It's just the whole "Angel" thing I hate, I feel its unoriginal, boring, and just not very sassy. (Sorry anyone who likes it).

Thanks for the advice huni xx

Ok so don't take any notice of me, it's just my opinion but I think paintbox make up sounds like you apply make up in a caked on fashion. It would put me off. BUT if you like the name, you go for it, your opinion is the only one that matters, everyone elses opinion is just that, an opinion! I prefer LA make up, your current name sounds cute and would appeal to the younger market.

x

I really like the 'paintbox' name, makes me think of the college greasepaint and all that that entails ie professional muas that are skilled and well trained.

Ok so don't take any notice of me, it's just my opinion but I think paintbox make up sounds like you apply make up in a caked on fashion. It would put me off. BUT if you like the name, you go for it, your opinion is the only one that matters, everyone elses opinion is just that, an opinion! I prefer LA make up, your current name sounds cute and would appeal to the younger market.

x

Thanks for the reply. The other reason I like PaintBox is because I do body painting and really creative make up for catwalk and also theatrical. To be honest with you, what I do is very diverse. I do a mix of bridal, theatrical, photographic and catwalk. Laura x

I really like the 'paintbox' name, makes me think of the college greasepaint and all that that entails ie professional muas that are skilled and well trained.

This was another reason I wanted to change to the name. As I think there is much more to make up than foundation and blusher etc. There is the real creative side too and also my favourite type of work is when I'm mixing up cool colours and layering techniques :) x

i really like the name you use now hun x

Angel Make Up Artistry? xx

Thanks for the reply. The other reason I like PaintBox is because I do body painting and really creative make up for catwalk and also theatrical. To be honest with you, what I do is very diverse. I do a mix of bridal, theatrical, photographic and catwalk. Laura x

In that case it is probably fitting! How do you think that will go in the marketing for bridal make up? If you're confident you need to change your business name and it won't affect your business then pick the one tht you are comfortable with. We can only give you our thoughts but it's not our business. If you love paintbox then absolutely go for it and give your marketing an ooomph when you do it.

good luck honey
x

The only thing there is an LA Make Up Academy (although they are in London & Dublin)- it might not sound different enough from them to stand out from them, if you know what I mean? it's a pity cos I really like the idea of it being your initials & all

But Paintbox is great! :)

Latest posts

Back