Natural Nail Damage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxSaffronxx

Reaction score
Hi

Please could someone give me some advice?
After having gel nails on for a month I took them off last night and my natural nails are really weak and soft!
Its freaked me out a bit and i was wondering whats best to do now?
Should I give my natural nails a rest? if so, for how long?
Also is there anything I can use to speed up the recovery process?

Thanks

Firstly what do you mean by 'took them off?'

Also, where did you get them done? xx

how did you remove them?

Hi

I got them done at a salon nearby
I cut the extensions and then filed them down. They advised me there was no soak off procedure because it was the balancing gel system and that they would just file them down.

I was very careful not to file the natural nail.

Please dont tell me off for taking them off myself but i didnt want to pay loads of money to have them removed!

But you've now paid the full price of possibly causing damage to your nails.

Even if you thought you were being extreemly careful technicians are trained to know exactly what they are doing and not cause any damage, if you've never done this before you could possibly have caused damage without knowing.

The only other thing I can think of is that your nails are not damaged at all they just feel different because you've been used to having support on them for a while or when the nails were applied your natural nails were over filled then. HTH's xx

Hi Louise

Thanks for your response.
They are not damaged where they are flaking or snapping - they are just really soft.

Is this normal after having extensions removed? Would they still feel soft even if a trained technician did it?

Have you any tips on helping them recover and how long i should leave them before i have extensions done again?

Thanks x

hi
"restoration" by jessica products is brilliant . its a base coat designed for post acrylic, gel or damaged nails.
i would usualy advise clients to apply a layer every day and after a week remove the product and start again. have tried this product myself and love it. but have to say that removing your own nails is never a good idea, no matter how carefull you think you are.
hth
ciara

Hi Ciara

Thanks for that - how long should I have my nails in "restoration" before I consider having extensions put back on again?

Thanks x

When I have buffed off gels and soaked off l&p the nails have looked the same as when I did them, l&p have the ridges in the natural nails still as when the nails were applied as they were only lightly buffed in the first place to remove shine.

When removing gel I tend to leave the thinnest layer of gel possible on the natural nail.

What grit of file were you using to remove the gel?

Hi Ciara

Thanks for that - how long should I have my nails in "restoration" before I consider having extensions put back on again?

Thanks x

If your really keen on having enhancements back on your nails what made you remove them in the first place?

Thanks Louise

I used an NSI 180/240 grit file

If your really keen on having enhancements back on your nails what made you remove them in the first place?

They needed infills and general repair. I didnt want to go back to the previous salon and the other salons in my area didnt do the NSI Balance System

when you take off a blanket you feel cold yea? Its the same when you take off enhancements.. they feel lighter, softer and weaker. When removed properly this is still how they will feel.. but that said, its still not a good idea to remove them yourself.. especially with a file.. A file in the wrong hands can do more damage.. imo.

Hi Ciara

Thanks x
If you have damaged them, the damage will have to grow out, but there is no reason you can't have extensions put straight back on.

They needed infills and general repair. I didnt want to go back to the previous salon and the other salons in my area didnt do the NSI Balance System

Just wondering...are you trained in any form of nail enhancements or nail care?

Thanks for everyones advice.
So there is no reason why i cant have extensions put back on then?
I assumed that nails needed a breather from extensions - is that not the case??

I am not professionally trained - I have done my own nails for years. But before you tell me off - i am about to go on a proper course. Im just waiting for it to start in May :mad:)

If the damage is very severe then enhancments may be prone to lifting, but otherwise there's no reason to go without them, if they are applied properly and at an appropriate length.

If you insist on doing them yourself you will always have problems.

If you are genuinely waiting to train, get a head start with lots of reading instead of possibly teaching yourself bad habbits your just going to have to unlearn.

Thanks hun!

Honestly I am waiting for my course to start! lol

I guess I will be able to ask all these questions when i start training. I wont make the mistake again of removing them myself until I am trained.

Is it just a myth that you need to give your nails a breather then? Can you wear them constantly as long as they are maintained and in-filled properly?

Thanks

If having them applied properly then it is a myth...
If doing them yourself.. PUT DOWN THE FILE!!!

hehe.. but seriously.. put it down, if you are serious about learning you will only make it harder to loose the bad habits you taught yourself!

Brilliant thanks hun!
I certainly wont be doing it again - i will wait till i am properly trained!

Think i have learnt my lesson this time! lol

Latest posts

Back